Amsoil AME 15-40 hddo in gas engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Amsoil AME suitable for gas engines like the series 3000 is?

Would there be any benefit in running AME over AMO 10-40? More additives? More esters?

edit, fixed the spelling of the title for you
smile.gif

[ January 27, 2004, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

YES and it works great. Works really great in higher mileage vehicles. I find it more stable than the 10W-40 (less viscosity spread), it has a bit more robust additive package and just holds up nicely even in my 243000 mile turbo.

The only issue is the 15W, but I cranked at 9°F and the car started right up with oil pressure.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
The only issue is the 15W, but I cranked at 9°F and the car started right up with oil pressure.

Pablo, From what I've seen, I don't believe the temp is much of an issue for a true full-synth oil compared to a 15w of a Chevron or Mobil Delvac variety. Seems like the 15w is just fine for temps 0F and above with the full-synths, like Amsoil. I wouldn't bring the dino 15w down that low, though...

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Pablo - I hope to have a 243000 turbo sometime in the future too
wink.gif

I might give this oil a try in my wrx this summer - as Terry says - let analysis be my guide!

I've run this oil in gas engines for years including Harleys and it works well. A great universal oil for a mixed fleet or farm operation.

Great anti corrosion formulation for those that see the elevated fe in UOA's.

A bit too thick and not enough FM's for the newer tigher tolerance engines but the Syn formulation can overide some of that characteristic.

Let analysis be your guide.

I like the Series 3000, 5w-30 for gas engines ....It's going to give you better performance and fuel efficiency than the Amsoil 15w-40 or 10w-40.

If you are bothered by the cost of the S3000, your drain intervals are simply too short
wink.gif
I've run the stuff for 20,000 miles/2 yrs in my toyota with excellent results.

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

What would it take for this stuff to be MA certified/compliant/applicable, ie. for a "modern" wet-clutch motorcycle application?
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
I like the Series 3000, 5w-30 for gas engines ....It's going to give you better performance and fuel efficiency than the Amsoil 15w-40 or 10w-40.

If you are bothered by the cost of the S3000, your drain intervals are simply too short
wink.gif
I've run the stuff for 20,000 miles/2 yrs in my toyota with excellent results.

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

Im not worried about the cost, I think this meesage board is just driving me crazy
freak2.gif
pat.gif
patriot.gif

I might give the 15 40 a try in the summer, well see.
Thanks for the input everyone!

Why is it that some of the Amsoil HD Diesel oils are recommended and used in gasoline engine applications, while I have not seen nor would I recommend anyone to use a gasoline engine oil in a diesel application?

I, as well as others I'm sure would like to understand the logic behind this scenario.

rolleyes.gif

JD, all the HDEO oils recommended for use in gassers do carry API SL, which is for gassers. Most gasser oils DON'T carry Diesel ratings.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back