Amsoil ALM 5w20 - 12,415 miles - 07 Honda Civic EX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could a mod please add the second UOA to the first post. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Nobody...?
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Artem
I'm glad to see that both labs recommended continued use, up to 15k miles before sampling again. I might just get back into extended OCIs once the current stash of Amsoil XL and OE are depleted.

+1. Oil is still fine IMO.

Yes, every fill up. I didn't notice much change besides the minor fluctuations from fill up to fill up due to changes in driving conditions. I'd still get 38-40mpg on all highway trips with cruise control set at 76mph with the 5w30 oil or 0w20.

@Artem are you using XL 5w20 all year round? I wonder if i should try to run 0w20 all year round on the r18 engine instead of 5w20 to maximize fuel economy??

I run Amsoil oils in 5w20 flavor during the summer. I try to change to 0w20 for the winter months here in Jacksonville, FL even though my winter here only gets down to about 30-40F at the coldest. Haha.

Since I travel a lot, I go up north where its freezing and hence the 0w20 preference.

The 2012 Civics (and possibly even 2010+) specify 0w20 instead of 5w. They have the exact same engine, so 0w is safe to use. Like I said, I ran it without issues.

The oil analyzer lab is in Atlanta? I could probably drive by! lol

Nice reports. 15,000 cap on this combo sounds fine.

I run Amsoil oils in 5w20 flavor during the summer. I try to change to 0w20 for the winter months here in Jacksonville, FL even though my winter here only gets down to about 30-40F at the coldest. Haha.

Since I travel a lot, I go up north where its freezing and hence the 0w20 preference.

The 2012 Civics (and possibly even 2010+) specify 0w20 instead of 5w. They have the exact same engine, so 0w is safe to use. Like I said, I ran it without issues.

Ya.. 2012+ onwards are all spec'd for 0w20... AFAIK the r18 engine for the 8th and 9th gen civic are exactly the same... but would there be changes with some of its components/parts to be able to use 0w20 or honda just made it 0w20 for CAFE standards and maximizing fuel economy?

I just recently did my service and used the SSO 5w20.. I actually forgot to use 0w20 instead... Guess have to wait til my MM hits at least 15% to do an Oil change..

Wonder how much gas savings would we can save when using 0w20 instead of 5w20? Also, during the summer .. would 0w oils give us better fuel economy as well?

Also, have you tried using the Amsoil PI on your civic? Its pretty good stuff! cleans your Fuel system and helps restore power too!

Yes, every fill up. I didn't notice much change besides the minor fluctuations from fill up to fill up due to changes in driving conditions. I'd still get 38-40mpg on all highway trips with cruise control set at 76mph with the 5w30 oil or 0w20.

I also write down each fill. Just had an almost 4000 mile trip mostly on I90 out and I80 back. My mileage varied on this trip by an unusual amount 33-43. It dropped at one fill and took a couple of fills to recover fully. It may have been due to unleaded below 87 octane. Note sure why some states offer 85 octane. All driving was with cruise set at speed limit. Next vacation trip I may record driving speed and ethanol content.

Originally Posted By: mauric3

Ya.. 2012+ onwards are all spec'd for 0w20... AFAIK the r18 engine for the 8th and 9th gen civic are exactly the same... but would there be changes with some of its components/parts to be able to use 0w20 or honda just made it 0w20 for CAFE standards and maximizing fuel economy?

I just recently did my service and used the SSO 5w20.. I actually forgot to use 0w20 instead... Guess have to wait til my MM hits at least 15% to do an Oil change..

Wonder how much gas savings would we can save when using 0w20 instead of 5w20? Also, during the summer .. would 0w oils give us better fuel economy as well?

Also, have you tried using the Amsoil PI on your civic? Its pretty good stuff! cleans your Fuel system and helps restore power too!

I honestly doubt the fuel savings are enough to measure. Both the 5w20 and 0w20 are pretty much the same viscosity at operating temp, so the only benefit your engine will see is during the first 5-10 minutes of driving on a cold engine when the 0w20 flows ever so slightly better. Beyond that, i say the savings are extremely small.

I'd run the Amsoil Signature Series longer then 15% on the MM. I've taken mine down to -2,000 miles past zero and the lab still said i can go longer next time. Don't waste perfectly good oil by draining it at 15%.

I use both both Amsoil Pi and Redline Fuel system cleaners in my cars, giving them small maintenance doses, just to keep things clean. That as well as using Top Tier rated gas stations keeps my engine running well at all times, so i don't notice much difference when the cleaner is in the tank.

I honestly doubt the fuel savings are enough to measure. Both the 5w20 and 0w20 are pretty much the same viscosity at operating temp, so the only benefit your engine will see is during the first 5-10 minutes of driving on a cold engine when the 0w20 flows ever so slightly better. Beyond that, i say the savings are extremely small.

I'd run the Amsoil Signature Series longer then 15% on the MM. I've taken mine down to -2,000 miles past zero and the lab still said i can go longer next time. Don't waste perfectly good oil by draining it at 15%.

I use both both Amsoil Pi and Redline Fuel system cleaners in my cars, giving them small maintenance doses, just to keep things clean. That as well as using Top Tier rated gas stations keeps my engine running well at all times, so i don't notice much difference when the cleaner is in the tank.

So are you saying that i should just stick with SSO 5w20 all year round?

-2000 miles ? That seems pretty long! I dunno if i want to run it that long though
frown.gif
so basically running the SSO oil for 12-15k KM?? I think usually 15% oil life with my MM is around 10k km already.. so run it to maybe 0% oil? I haven't done any UOA so i dunno if its gonna be a good idea running it past 0% even though blackstone labs said you can on our engine.. I don't usually do a lot of hwy driving on my r18 since my mom uses it for work so its mostly a mix of hwy and city but mostly city driving...

-2000 miles ? That seems pretty long! I dunno if i want to run it that long though
frown.gif
so basically running the SSO oil for 12-15k KM?? I think usually 15% oil life with my MM is around 10k km already.. so run it to maybe 0% oil? I haven't done any UOA so i dunno if its gonna be a good idea running it past 0% even though blackstone labs said you can on our engine.. I don't usually do a lot of hwy driving on my r18 since my mom uses it for work so its mostly a mix of hwy and city but mostly city driving...

The oil life monitor on a 2006-2011 Civic is programmed for conventional or synthetic blend oil. Amsoil signature series (SSO) is not just a good synthetic, but one designed specifically for very long oil change intervals. You could easily run it to -6,000 miles (-100%).

In Europe, where most oils are long-drain synthetics, Honda specs 20k KM oil changes for the Civic R18. Don't try it with regular Pennzoil though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back