Amsoil 5W30 in Ecotech 2.2L?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filler cap says 10W30, but I have all this Amsoil 5W30 left over from Ohio. Now I am in Florida where it is hotter. Would using up this oil down here in Florida harm the engine? It is new and only has 3000 miles on it. Was going to do first change with Pennz 10W30 dino and then go to the Amsoil. Whatcha think?

I have the Ecotoec in our '03 Cavalier, but it says 5w30 on cap. Check the owner's manual as for grade and I know my owners manual says to use an API approved oil.

[ July 19, 2004, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: mikemc ]

rolleyes.gif
I am no expert but it seems API is catering to big oil companys therefore the long life oil are being squeezed. I would save a OEM filter and some Chevron Supream in case you ever need to use the warrenty. Thats what I am doing. I want the most out of the engine and won't be held up by the API.
shocked.gif

I running Amsoil S2000 0w30 in my bimmer here in AL, which by the book needs 5w30, doing UOA every 4-7500k, so far so good. The high daily heat index here is higher than in FL. Difference between 5w30 & 0w30 are in cold climates, pouring references. I have been assured by many different folks I trust that using 0w30 is OK. The UOA says things are going OK. I trust the science of UOA. Iv'e been reading the forums here and have been impressed with the info and the folks. I think you are safe using 5w30 in a 10w30 recommended eng. you might even see a small increase in mpg. Enjoy and let us know how thing turn out.
burnout.gif

My Chevrolet dealer told me that engine damage claims due to oil (which never happen lol) would not be covered with amsoil non-api approved synthetics, which are there 25k and 35k mile oils. There information on the oil states that Amsoil synthetics use a level of ZDDP that is much to high to be approved by the API, and in result can damage a catalytic converter.

This is partially bogus, because in order for it to damage the cat converter, the engine would have to be burning oil, and it would take an extrememly long time to do any damage.

In short, i would use the Amsoil and dont worry about it. You will never have to make an engine oil related claim, and all other warrantee services will not be effected. No ones going to know what oil you have in your ecotec, lets be serious.

Also, dont different climate states have different viscosity filler caps on the ecotecs?? Example: dont cavaliers that are shipped to florida get the 10w-30 recommendation, and the new york shipped cavaliers get the 5w-30 recommendation? Either way, a 5w-30 amsoil down in florida will do fine.

Also, lets be serious, if you ever had to go in for service due to the very unlikely chance of an engine oil related engine problem, you just do an oil change and put an API approved oil in it! Its nothing to worry about, its not somthing that is checked. Most people dont even know whats API approved and whats not. Lets be serious. I was dropping a car off at a pontiac dealer and a suburban shot a piston up into the hood putting a huge dent and they ordered a new engine under warranntee right away. No one said "hey! was this guy using a non-api approved oil! lets check!" Get real you know? lol this is the real world people.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Steel Blue Wind Rider:
I running Amsoil S2000 0w30 in my bimmer here in AL, which by the book needs 5w30, doing UOA every 4-7500k, so far so good. The high daily heat index here is higher than in FL. Difference between 5w30 & 0w30 are in cold climates, pouring references. I have been assured by many different folks I trust that using 0w30 is OK. The UOA says things are going OK. I trust the science of UOA. Iv'e been reading the forums here and have been impressed with the info and the folks. I think you are safe using 5w30 in a 10w30 recommended eng. you might even see a small increase in mpg. Enjoy and let us know how thing turn out.
burnout.gif

But why the huge price difference between AMSOIL's 0W30 compared to their 5W30?

At the AMSOIL web site the 0W30 is listed at 8.35 a quart and the 5W30 only 5.20 a quart.

This leads me to believe their 0W30 is a much better oil than their 5W30??

I have a good friend that has used Series 2000 0W-30 in his 1996 Chevy 4x4 since it was new. Now had over 120,000 miles. Truck has NEVER need oil between changes (1 per yr) and engine has had no problems even with the severe use it sees plowing snow in the winter months + hauling firewood etc.

If you're worried about the warranty just run some Mobil1 or GC until its up then use UOA's to determine what oil works best. Amsoil is a great oil and all the api stuff is hogwash, and its even more hogwash that so much stuff is put in an api certification.

quote:

Originally posted by Hankrr:
But why the huge price difference between AMSOIL's 0W30 compared to their 5W30?

At the AMSOIL web site the 0W30 is listed at 8.35 a quart and the 5W30 only 5.20 a quart.

This leads me to believe their 0W30 is a much better oil than their 5W30??

It is indeed better, with a better base stock and it's designed for even longer intervals.

The 5w30 you were looking at was probably the xl-7500, which is to be changed every 7500 miles or 6 months. The 0w 30 is a series 2000 oil with longer drain intervals. Hence the difference in price.

doesnt the regular 5w-30 synthetic recommend a 25k oil change interval. and the 0w-30 have the 35k interval.

Yes, its true, the 0w-30 is the series 2000, which has a 35k drain interval. They dont make a 5w-30 series 2000, its just a 5w-30 fully synthetic, with a 25k oil drain interval, thats why they charge more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back