Amsoil 5W30 (ASL) vs Mobil 1 5W30 SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recent issue of the Amsoil Action News has a direct comparison of the two oils with the following tests being reported on.
Noack Volatility (ASTM D-5800)
Four Ball Wear Test (ASTM D-4172)
Flash and Fire point (ASTM D-92)
Pour Point (ASTM D-97)
TBN Amsoil is 12.35 Mobil 8.45 (which one depletes faster?)
Naturally Amsoil comes out on top, at least in the numbers game.

What I want to see is the same engine or two duplicate engines same mileage on both and same miles on oil running both oils and oil analysis results and every wear metal and additive etc. published for REAL WORLD results. These bench tests, although indicators, are not real world. Ideally for me I would love to see these oils compared in a 1999 Toyota Camry V6 engine!

Spector,

I think you should run this comparison test in your '92 Camry V-6. From what's I've seen it beats up the oil pretty good. Run the Mobil 1, 5w-30 and then the Amsoil 5w-30 and test them both after 7500 miles. I'd be willing to bet you would see significantly more oil consumption with the Mobil 1, simply due to the difference in volatility ....

What I find most interesting is that Amsoil has been buying PAO basestocks from Mobil for about 25 years. So why the big difference in the Noack Volatility of these two 5w-30's? It makes me wonder about the quality of the basestock that ExxonMobil is using for their own products. I have an SAE paper published by Mobil from May of 1998 that shows the Noack of the 5w-30, Mobil 1 to be 8%. That was the formulation PRIOR to the Tri-synthetic upgrade. So I really wonder what's going on here ...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back