Amsoil 5w30 (asl) vs Amsoil 0w30 (tso)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

This is a great forum. When I first got here I was like “what are they going on about”, then I came across ‘Motor Oil by AE Hans’ and I’m pleased to say I now know better.

To start with here’s a little background info on my car. It’s a 1995 Saab GM900 2.5 V6. I picked it up with about 125k miles on the clock, roughly 12 months ago. I had it serviced at a GM dealership; the mechanic mentioned some minor engine leaks, but there have been no drips or any oil loss over the 12 months (I only do about 5000 miles a year of 50/50 city/motorway journeys in this car), so I’m confident there’s nothing to worry about. Have you any thoughts on this?

Anyway, I didn’t specify any particular oil, as I trusted the pro would do what was best for the car. So for the oil change he flushed the engine with Forton Engine Flush, filled it with Shell Helix Plus 10w40 then added Forton Emission Control (could be known as Forton Oil Fortifier). The oil seemed fine over the summer with fair mpg, but since the winter the fuel efficiency fell and the car feels sluggish.

12 months are up and it’s time for an oil change.

I’m going to look after the engine from now on.

I’m still open to suggestions but the main reason for this post is that I’ve been impressed by the figures of Amsoil. My manual suggests 5w-30 fully synthetic so I’m considering either Amsoil 5w-30 (ASL) or Amsoil Series 2000 0w-30 (TSO).

Their particulars are so similar I’m not sure what benefits one has over the other; I can’t see how the TSO justifies its higher price over the ASL. Can anyone enlighten me?

(Ok so I said the figures are similar, they are according to the ‘thick or thin’ viscosity chart on this forum but less so on the official Amsoil site. Which specifications should I believe?)

However, what most concerns me is the stories of the 5w-30 degrading to a higher viscosity over time, which is just what I’d want to avoid going into winter later in the year. I’ve read elsewhere on here that the formula has been improved. So how would I know what I’m getting is the new improved formula?

As I’m in the UK and depending on when the formula changed there might still be old formula on the market here. Also there are no stores that I know of that stock Amsoil but there’s a couple on the web that deliver (opieoils and the amsoil distributor performance oils ltd), I suppose I could just ask them, but I'd rather trust the experts here.

Does anyone have some rock solid info please?

Any help or other suggestions much appreciated.

If you only do 5k a year, I wouldn't bother with Amsoil. I would just use any retail brand. Amsoil TSO 0w-30 is a very over priced oil. IMO. Just can't justify the cost to the already excellent ASL 5w-30.

welcome.gif

Thanks, buster.

I can't see a clear advantage of the TSO over the ASL so I'll rule that out for now.

My idea to use amsoil asl might seem like overkill but I can get it at relative value compared to the semis in the slightly lower price bracket, plus it'll be insurance just incase I go over the 5k which is likely.

I partially agree with Buster. ASL will do you fine.

I disagree that you do not need Amsoil. The oil is changed once per year, the driving is mostly city, and you probably have a cold start or two.

Where do you find Amsoil in the UK for not such a dear price?

I settled on ASL myself, for my Neon here in Chicagoland. I think it would be a great choice with an EaO filter. Mine goes on VERY VERY soon.

Quote:

Where do you find Amsoil in the UK for not such a dear price?

Opieoils.co.uk undercuts the main UK distributor of Amsoil for the ASL by about £5.50 as they offer free delivery, so total is £45.99 for 5 litres (5.2 quarts). Compared to other oils available in the same price range like Castrol Magnatec (not sure what the North American equivalent is, Syntec maybe) which is cheapest from the Asda wal-mart for approx £35 for 5 litres (a 4 litre + a single 1 litre as I need 4.5 litres).

Apart from the exchange rates that might make the prices look a bit high compared to US prices, it seems like a no brainer from a UK price point of view.
cheers.gif

Some good old Castrol Syntec comes to $9.00 here in Kelowna. Mobil 1 extended performance $10.23
5 litre Mobil 1 is 39.00
I'm not happy about the prices. Thats as cheap as it gets here too.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back