Amsoil 5W20 First try

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a used 2001 Ford Windstar van last July (05) from the Ford dealer. I am the second owner, the first owner purchased new from this same dealer and did all of the regular maintenances at this dealer.
Regular oil changes with Motorcraft 5W20. This van is immaculate (112,000 mile when I purchased it). So for the last year I changed the oil 4 times using the same oil as previous owner.
But having used synthetics since 1989, I changed last week using Amsoil 5W20.
A few days later I went on a business trip that took me a little over 700 miles. When I checked the mpg I could hardly believe it.
The best I had done previously was 23.5 and once 24 mpg highway and usually between 18.5 and 21 town.
But now the worst I have done is 23 city. On the trip I kept getting 28 mpg with the A/C off and cruising 65 mph.
When I used the A/C I got 26 highway, and 24 between city and highway.
I am going to check this closely for the rest of this month (June), and if this keeps up, this van will be getting the Amsoil 5W20 from now on.
smile.gif

Good Day,
Steven

quote:

Originally posted by icruse:
But having used synthetics since 1989, I changed last week using Amsoil 5W20.
A few days later I went on a business trip that took me a little over 700 miles. When I checked the mpg I could hardly believe it.
The best I had done previously was 23.5 and once 24 mpg highway and usually between 18.5 and 21 town.
But now the worst I have done is 23 city. On the trip I kept getting 28 mpg with the A/C off and cruising 65 mph.
When I used the A/C I got 26 highway, and 24 between city and highway.
I am going to check this closely for the rest of this month (June), and if this keeps up, this van will be getting the Amsoil 5W20 from now on.
smile.gif

Good Day,
Steven

Steven, the warmer weather probably has a lot to do with getting better mpg. In my F-150 I was getting 13-14 mpg during the cold and cool spring we had. Now that it's getting almost like spring like in NJ
grin.gif
I'm getting 15-17 doing the exact same driving, using the exact same fuels, always oxygenated
mad.gif
and the same MC 5W-20 oil.

Whimsey

Wow, and I was waiting for them to come out with a full POA 5w-20 oil. That kinda sounds like too big of a change to attribute to just the oil?

I was going to use it in my Taurus vulcan engine too eek out a little extra fuel economy.

Type III lubes are not bad. We just keep thinking that they as fake synthetics . I just don't like that Amsoil lack 0w-xx tech in API SM oils. Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 is only SL rated.

Off hand I don't know the cSt data at 100c for MC 5w-20 vs Amsoil XL 5w-20. MC is good oil, but I bet Amsoil flows better.

quote:

Originally posted by icruse:
Steven, the warmer weather probably has a lot to do with getting better mpg.
Whimsey

I have had this van since last summer, already checked the mileage then, mpg is much higher now with Amsoil 5W20.

You're claiming ~8% to 14% improvement in fuel economy with the same viscosity grade of oil? We'll have to keep you in mind when some claim there's no significant fuel economy difference between a SM/GF-4 5w20 and a 15w40.
wink.gif
grin.gif

Too early to tell, totally biased and unscientific - but switching to Amsoil XL 5W-20 kicked up the Odyssey about +2 MPG. Could be break in, but sure was sudden. Could be warmer weather, but it was cool. Say and mock what you will.

PS I have NEVER before said ANY motor oil has improved my MPG. In fact, I've changed oil all over the map in my cars and no change in MPG, until this change. Go figure.

Pablo, you probably conspired with this guy to post this to boost sales of Amsoil 5w20. You Amsoil guys...geez.

grin.gif

(For the sphincter police: this was a joke.)

quote:

but you know us Amsoil guys

rolleyes.gif
....yeah we sure do.
cheers.gif

At least it's not as bad as some of the other Amsoil claims. This one is my favorite : "My truck lost all it's coolant crossing Death Valley, Ca. but Amsoil kept the engine so cool I was able to drive for four more hours."

In all seriousness, Amsoil XL line is great oil and I'm sure the 5w-20 probably did increase your mpg, but as to how much exactly is anyone's guess.

quote:

"My truck lost all it's coolant crossing Death Valley, Ca. but Amsoil kept the engine so cool I was able to drive for four more hours."

Probably true but he left out the part about how it was an air cooled engine and it was Jan 5 1-5 AM.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:

quote:

"My truck lost all its coolant crossing Death Valley, Ca. but Amsoil kept the engine so cool I was able to drive for four more hours."

Probably true but he left out the part about how it was an air cooled engine and it was Jan 5 1-5 AM.

Plus the incident occurred in December, where temperatures were < 32F during that time of day.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Too early to tell, totally biased and unscientific - but switching to Amsoil XL 5W-20 kicked up the Odyssey about +2 MPG....In fact, I've changed oil all over the map in my cars and no change in MPG, until this change. Go figure.

Ford needs to use this oil. It would end their CAFE worries.
wink.gif
lol.gif

quote:

Ford needs to use this oil. It would end their CAFE worries

lol.gif
Nice.

Dude, I put Walgreen's 5w-20 in my car and it now gets 56 mpg. City.

Buster - Exactly why I didn't report my first findings. If it repeats, then I switch to another 5W-20 and MPG drops back down, I'll at least be on to something.

As I stated before I've never had any oil, in any car change the MPG either direction.

Chuckle away, chuckleheads.

What happened to the rumor that Castrol GTX gave the lowest wear of any other oil? Buster, maybe you need to blend some Amsoil 5w20 and Castrol GTX 5w20 for your Honda. You'd get an engine that gets a million miles to the gallon and last a million miles.
wink.gif
grin.gif

i went form Havoline 5W30 to AMSOIL 5W30 and also increased in two vehicles the MPG 2.5 MPG in one and over 3 in the other. that is all i changed was the oil.

now i have changed the air filter too and got over 22 MPG over 700 miles in 3 days on vacation in the vehicle i get 18.5 MPG in. did the oil do it ? did the air filter help ? according to all on here no one else gets these increases in MPG just by switching oil. well i know i did and apparently the person who started this thread did. at least now i know i'm not alone.

i have been checking my results for over a year now so does that make them useful or is it still just cause of the weather changes ? if so i hope it never stops changing as long as i'm getting better mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back