Amsoil 5w-30HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes this oil different from the other 5w-30 from Amsoil, other then it is for Diesel and gas engines? thanks

It has been rumored that "Big Al" (Al Amatuzio, Mr. Amsoil) uses this particular oil in his personal vehicle(s).

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
What makes this oil different from the other 5w-30 from Amsoil, other then it is for Diesel and gas engines? thanks

For starters, the additive package is beefier. Since you already use the Series 2000 0W-30, the benefit of you switching to HDD next time wouldn't be that significant consdiering your oil usage history and driving conditions.

Thanks..I heard Mr. Amsoil uses this too which made me real curious.

I bet old Al slips some moly into his personal batch of Amsoil though!
wink.gif

Does anyone know specifically what the difference is? Getting ready to reload on 5W-30, but could switch if there is a clear advantage (if my local salesperson will take back the 5W-30).

Vettenuts,

1) The basestock blend is different from their regular 5w-30/10w-30 - that's all I'm willing to say about it ...
wink.gif

2) They use a more expensive, shear stable VI modifier
3) It is more highly detergent, with approx 4300 ppm of calcium and 50 ppm of Magnesium.

I have run both this oil and the regular 5w-30, "ASL" in my personal vehicles. Wear rates were about the same, but the Series 3000 is more shear stable and it will hold up better in drain intervals >12,000 miles. Less oxidation/nitration and better TBN retention.

I highly recommend it - I think it's probably their best all round, low viscosity synthetic lube. The Series 2000, 20w-50 will provide even better engine protection, but it has limited applicability for street use.

TooSlick

What makes it for diesel engines and gas engines? They seem to market it more for diesel engines, all though it does say for gas engines as well. Does anyone really think Amsoil will start using MOLY in the future? I'm thinking what Patman said, I bet this batch has some...Thanks.
smile.gif

[ November 28, 2002, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

The additive package has been formulated to handle soot even better than the other formulations.
Have a friend who ran a Ford Powerstroke over 100,000 miles without changing oil, just full flow filter (and, of course, oil analysis).

TooSlick,

I know this is a bit nitpicky, but I think the Magnesium level is much higher since an analysis on the board showed (magnesium 381 additive,normal).

It definately has an "overbased" mag/calcium detergent/dispersant package.

Molekule,

You may be thinking of the Series 2000, 0w-30, which uses about 350 ppm of Magnesium. Both the Series 3000, 5w-30 and the Amsoil 15w-40 use the additive chemistry I indicated above. AFAIK, there was no change in additive chemistry necessary when the CI-4 spec came out, so I think they are still using this formulation.

I may have to do another baseline test and find out for sure, but I think I'm correct ....

Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back