Amsoil 5W-30 vs. 0W-30 Series 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to do my annual oil change. Have been reading a lot of good information on the 0W-30 oil, however I currently have the 7 quarts of 5W-30 ready to go in this weekend and don't know if my dealer will let me swap (with extra $$$ of course). Is there a clear advantage to this oil that would make it worth doing the switch?

Although they say the 0W has a better package the wear rates for what has been posted here are similar for the 0W and 5W and 10W. they say the difference is the 0W is better capable of going longer drains. Assume you are using the 5w not the series 3000 5W. May depend on how many miles in that one year interval. I go one year also but only around 8000 miles.

Personally, not worth the $2/quart cost. I can save money by using the 10W and half way through drain a quart, refresh with the 10W (@$4.35/quart) and still save money over 5 quarts at the extra $2/quart.

[ December 04, 2002, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Spector ]

I wouldn't recommend using the 0w-30 unless you are running change intervals of > 10,000 miles, or if you are doing competitive racing ....

Shortly after the AMSOIL 0W-30 hit the market (years ago), my son-in-law visited and changed his Saab 900T from AMSOIL 10W-30 to the new oil.
He called me a couple of months later, and said he was consistently getting 50-60 more miles per tankful. Definitely paid him to change (especially since he didn't pay for the oil).

I use the 0W-30 in three turbos and a Dodge 1 ton van.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back