Amsoil 5w-30 once a year or Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 twice a year?

Which way would you go and why?
Use Amsoil Signature series 5w-30 and change it once a year, or use Mobil1 ESP 5w-30 and change it twice a year.

In a 2008 6.0 Vortec with about 90k.
I'd go with the Amsoil SS. It's a great oil, combine it with a premium oil filter and no looking back for one whole year. Not putting down the ESP but with the Amsoil it's one and done.

Thanks guys! I'm an old fashioned guy, and no matter how good the oil claims to be I like to change it more often. Cheap insurance for the engine.

Saying that, I have an impression watching a lot of Youtube oil test videos, that Amsoil is a better oil and would run that for a whole year for that reason.

Where I live, the cost of 2x Mobil1 is almost the same that 1x Amsoil. (I live in Finland):D

Thanks guys! I'm an old fashioned guy, and no matter how good the oil claims to be I like to change it more often. Cheap insurance for the engine.

Saying that, I have an impression watching a lot of Youtube oil test videos, that Amsoil is a better oil and would run that for a whole year for that reason.

Where I live, the cost of 2x Mobil1 is almost the same that 1x Amsoil. (I live in Finland):D
I'd take what I see on YouTube with a grain of salt. I'd venture to say about 90% of what I've seen on YouTube relating to oil test videos is a load of BS. Having said that if you could get Amsoil for half the cost of Mobil 1 go for it. In this neck of the woods that isn't the case, especially with sales and rebates.

Mobil New Life 0W40 and whatever quality filters they have up there.

Save Money. Live Better

Last edited:
Mobil New Life 0W40 and whatever quality filters they have up there.

Save Money. Live Better
I stick with the 5w-30. I have stocked my shelf with Wix XP oil filters. Should be a good filter.
I used a filter thats manufactured here in Finland, M Filter, and should be quality stuff, but there was something wrong with it. Sometimes at startup the oil pressure would not go up at all before I gave the engine some rpm. Changed to Wix and problem is gone.

How does the quality of the current (new version) of Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 compare the the quality of the original Mobil 1 ESP 5w30? Supposedly the original version was made in France and it was of better quality.

two different oils,if mostly highway once a year with whats ever on sale with the right approvals and grade. i personally prefer twice a year but due to lack of time im going for once a year,7.5k with the ss.
Do you have to add any oil? A lot of guys say change oil just before using 1 qt. Myself? I'd err on more frequent OCI with regular (?) Synthetic before going over 7500 miles.

I'd take what I see on YouTube with a grain of salt. I'd venture to say about 90% of what I've seen on YouTube relating to oil test videos is a load of BS. Having said that if you could get Amsoil for half the cost of Mobil 1 go for it. In this neck of the woods that isn't the case, especially with sales and rebates.
I took "Where I live, the cost of 2x Mobil1 is almost the same that 1x Amsoil." to mean that Amsoil was twice as expensive.
Mike B

Back