Amsoil 5W-30 ASL, 2003 Honda S2000, 6000 km

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Originally Posted By: steve20
I can't admit I may agree with Arco-so let's just say I came up with the idea first, and posted it when I had time. I think the aftermarket oilpan may be the culprit

This has been mentioned by a respected Honda Tech on another forum as well. The owner re-installed the baffled oil pan on the rebuilt engine. So I guess we'll find out.

Wouldn't surprise me either.

Clearly lead spiked on ASL, so it was an indication of bearing problem before if blew up. When was the aftermarket pan fitted?

We don't have all elements listed (like B or Ca), but Mo was lowish in the ASL. Is that correct?

The oil pan was installed during winter storage after the ASL run. His first Spring drive bringing it out of storage last year is when the bearing officially went south. The car was not driven again until after the rebuild was complete last summer. IMO, the problem began before the new pan. That doesn't mean that it didn't help things along though.

When he was doing the pan swap last winter, he said there was some varnish build-up in some areas of the bottom end. It was soft and he was able to remove some with his finger nail as well as with some solvent and elbow grease. He said critical areas did not appear varnished though.

I believe the failed engine had GC and 3/4 bottle of Lubro-Moly MoS2 in the sump. There was also Lucas top end, RL injector cleaner, and Stabil in the fuel tank from storage.

Boron was tested by the lab at zero for both UOA's. But Calcium didn't show up as tested. I suspect it's a low budget Lab.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Boron was tested by the lab at zero for both UOA's. But Calcium didn't show up as tested. I suspect it's a low budget Lab.

I wouldn't say low budget, they are a large Cat dealer network in Canada. B, Ca, Mn and V were not tested by them until last year.

lubro moly almost killed my fit engine - it never recovered. Lost oil pressure and engine got excessively noisy. Had to dump a almost new fill of 3.5L of $10 a bottle edge with Ti.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back