Amsoil 5W-30 AND cat converters

Status
Not open for further replies.
1994 Honda Accord EX (aprox. 96K)

Going to give Amsoil 5W-30 a shot! I'm going to start off with the very conservative drain interval of 5K-7,500K for the first run and then do a UOA with Blackstone. I'm currently running Mobil 1 5W-30 but I want something a little thicker at operating temp in my Accord. Amsoil 5W-30 seems to be on the higher end of the 30wt.

What is all this talk about Amsoil frying your cat? Should I have any worry whatsoever about Amsoil frying my cat converter??

Thank you for your help!

quote:

Originally posted by MinnesotaNole:
1994 Honda Accord EX (aprox. 96K)

Going to give Amsoil 5W-30 a shot! I'm going to start off with the very conservative drain interval of 5K-7,500K for the first run and then do a UOA with Blackstone. I'm currently running Mobil 1 5W-30 but I want something a little thicker at operating temp in my Accord. Amsoil 5W-30 seems to be on the higher end of the 30wt.

What is all this talk about Amsoil frying your cat? Should I have any worry whatsoever about Amsoil frying my cat converter??

Thank you for your help!

Your biggest problem will be if you don't flush and change your antifreeze frequently.

I would not worry about the cat. You will cind that you will have almost no consumption with that particular vehicle. I use to run my Honda 1990 LX at 7500 miles with Mobil 1 and once went 10k. Clean under the valve cover at 90k when I sold it. You should be able to run it a full year per change. Just remember to keep an eye on it by checking the dipstick frequently for low level and any signs of antifreeze contamination.

I currently have 10w30 in my mother in laws 03 civic and it hasn't consumed any oil since last November and that is with a 3.5 qt capacity. I will change it out in November at about 15k miles. I would love to analyse it to see how it held up.

Amsoil won't fry your CAT. Whoever said that is a moron. Amsoil 5w-30 is a great oil. Amsoil NOAK numbers are very low to prevent any burn off.

Also Amsoil has recently reduced the amount of phosphorus in some of their oils since they have received so many questions about why they put so much zinc and phosphors in their oils. Amsoil also produces their 5W-30 and 10W-30 near the high end of the 30 wt viscosity limit and of course they have very low NOACK numbers so if anything you will probably have less contamination of your cat converter with Amsoil than you would get with almost anything else.

I think fried cats are a delicacy somewhere? I didn't know people used Amsoil or any other motor oil in the preparation?

lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back