Amsoil 5w-30~~~'06 Grand Prix, LS4~~~15,541miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not so near as great as my run with the 0w-30 for 10k last time:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=918755&fpart=1

This run was taken using the recommended EaO filter for the full time frame. Hot sample, taken near the beginning of the drain. Mixed octanes on the fuel (higher octane in the hot months, lower octane in the cooler months). Some 20 passes at the the local dragstrip. The car was full qt low at the time of the sample, but I had not added any oil in the last month or so, knowing that I would be sending a sample of for analysis, and I did not want skewed results with fresh oil.

Having added 2 qts in this 15k mile UOA + the 1 qt I was low makes for 3 qts burned in this interval. 5k miles per qt, that is better than the 4k miles per qt I got on the 0w-30... though Blackstone definately liked the 10k results on the thinner oil A LOT better.

I put more 5w-30 in after the sending the sample off. I bought a couple of strong magnets from the Homo Depot and put them on the side of the filter. The drain plug from the factory is not magnetized, so maybe the magnets will help lower my iron count for next time.

Also, I am debating a filter change at 7500 miles, but not sure that that would help given my insoluables level was still within reason.

Guys, I value your comments, this world is very new to me, and I still don't feel real comfortable recommending a 15k mile oil drain on this oil.

----------------------------------------------

BLAKE: We think now is the time to change this fill of 5W/30. Iron, copper, and lead all increased, which shows excess wear at the bearings. The increased wear is likely due to the longer oil run but we think 15,541 miles may be too many for your 5.3L.
Universal averages are based on an oil run of just 5,600 miles. No harmful contaminants were found and the viscosity read normally. It was just slightly higher than we found the last time.
The TBN read 2.2 so there wasn't much active additive remaining. 1.0 is low. Check back in 10,000 miles to monitor.

CRESSON, TX 76035
EQUIPMENT MAKE:...GM
EQUIPMENT MODEL:..5.3L 327 CI V-8
FUEL TYPE:.........Gasoline (Unleaded)
CODE:..............GXP
ADDITIONAL INFO:...LS4

REPORT DATE:.......1/7/08
NAME:..............BLAKE MOORE
E-MAIL:[email protected]

OIL USE INTERVAL : 15,541 Miles
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Amsoil 5W/30
MAKE-UP OIL ADDED: 2 qts

OIL REPORT

MI/HR ON OIL :.....15,541
MI/HR ON UNIT:.....38,569
SAMPLE DATE:.......12/23/07

*PARTS PER MILLION* / UNIVERSAL AVERAGES / 10k sample of 0w-30
ALUMINUM........3...............4...............3
CHROMIUM........1...............1...............1
IRON............51..............22..............19
COPPER..........78..............59..............65
LEAD............18..............9...............11
TIN.............1...............1...............2
MOLYBDENUM......52..............53..............14
NICKEL..........1...............1...............1
MANGANESE.......2...............2...............2
SILVER..........0...............0...............0
TITANIUM........0...............0...............0
POTASSIUM.......2...............1...............4
BORON...........34..............56..............9
SILICON.........18..............25..............14
SODIUM..........9...............10..............9
CALCIUM.........3229............1762............2877
MAGNESIUM.......12..............338.............13
PHOSPHORUS......661.............770.............697
ZINC............828.............932.............787
BARIUM..........0...............0...............0

TEST.....VALUES SHOULD BE.......TESTED VALUES WERE
WATER %.............
ANTIFREEZE %..........0.................0.0

FUEL %..............
FLASHPOINT INºF.....>365................420

SUS VISCOSITY@210ºF: 56-63.............62.4

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C: 10.90...........10.41
INSOLUBLES %........<0.6................0.3

for some reason I can't edit my own post??
54.gif

made a mistake on the cSt Viscosity. The 10.90 is the measured value of the 5w-30, the 10.41 was the value of the 0w-30 last time.

Also, my SI-licone values may not be good reflection of what they should be. Last time I checked the air filter, I accidentally pinched one corner of it, and for that whole 15k run... well, there was about a 2" long seam about as thick as lifesaver that was letting unfiltered air into the intake.
spankme2.gif

Looking at PPM per 1000 miles this is a good report. Copper, IMO this is still breaking in for GM and copper, mine took over 50,000 for the copper to come way down.

Right. The 5.3L takes a long time to break in, I have one too.

I would also stay at a 10k max OCI.

How about doing a 7k OCI & UOA...?

I do ~7k OCI's with Assoil ASL or PP - I don't feel comfortable going higher than that.

Originally Posted By: blakeinspace
Some 20 passes at the the local dragstrip. The car was full qt low at the time of the sample......
Also, my SI-licone values may not be good reflection of what they should be. Last time I checked the air filter, I accidentally pinched one corner of it, and for that whole 15k run... well, there was about a 2" long seam about as thick as lifesaver that was letting unfiltered air into the intake.

You did the MAX recommended OCI for this situation. Viscosity is near perfect.

Not worried about the Cu. Standard for GM at this point and situation.

Fe and Pb are a bit high, I suspect the intake leak and driving style influenced these.

I assume the previous oil was TSO 0W-30. Would love to see SSO 0W-30 here.

Heck - I'm impressed that someone actaully ran a premium oil past 5k miles before OCI!!!

Most Bitoger's just can't resist a good oil change "fix". You know, got to get that "old" oil out, in favor of some other flavor!

"Having added 2 qts in this 15k mile UOA + the 1 qt I was low makes for 3 qts burned in this interval. 5k miles per qt, that is better than the 4k miles per qt I got on the 0w-30... though Blackstone definately liked the 10k results on the thinner oil A LOT better."

Interesting you made this comment - the older TSO was 11.3cst @100C...so it was actually thicker than this ASL, which is 10.7 cst. The new SSO 0W-30 is 10.3cst, so it is thinner than ASL.

Personally, with a car this new and expensive, I wouldn't run an oil this long. It did do a decent job for the mileage, but if I spent $40K on a premium car like this, I'd change the oil more often. Just me.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Personally, with a car this new and expensive, I wouldn't run an oil this long. It did do a decent job for the mileage, but if I spent $40K on a premium car like this, I'd change the oil more often. Just me.

What I am honestly most alarmed about is the high levels of iron... that's from the crank, right? All aluminum motor... so no idea where the lead is coming from either.

Any of you BITOG'ers care to proffer a theory?

Well, you (or one of your Canadian brothers) built this line of Grand Prix. Shame to see it discontinued. As for the other point you made, I generally agree, but I am a fairly new Amsoil dealer, and I wanted proof of product quality before I offered it to friends/family/car club members. If I don't have faith in it with Pontiac's flagship vehicle, my personal car, then I won't have faith in it in anything... and won't sell it.

The numbers aren't that high for the mileage but I still wouldn't be too happy with them if it were my car. I have a hunch that if you ran standard dino and did 5k - 7500 mile OCIs your wear numbers would improve (on a per-mile basis). Perhaps they would also improve with other Amsoil products.

I have seen several very good high-mile Amsoil UOAs, but not this one IMO.

What I am honestly most alarmed about is the high levels of iron... that's from the crank, right? All aluminum motor... so no idea where the lead is coming from either.

Your engine does have an aluminum block but it still uses iron for the cylinder liners and crank as you mentioned. Not to mention the cam, timing set, etc, etc. The lead would be bearings or fuel additive in most cases.

You really need to look at UOA results on a per 1000 mile basis. If you do this, this report does not look bad at all.

Last edited:
I agree with 02man. I think Fe isn't an issue until 150 ppm and with 15k on the oil, you are perfectly fine IMO.

Originally Posted By: o2man98

You really need to look at UOA results on a per 1000 mile basis. If you do this, this report does not look bad at all.

Pardon my ignorance, but this has been mentioned before in another reply.

Can you tell me what that means, and show me how to do it?

Originally Posted By: o2man98

Pardon my ignorance, but this has been mentioned before in another reply.

Can you tell me what that means, and show me how to do it?

Say in a 15,000 mile OCI a UOA shows 20 ppm of lead. So you take 20 ppm and divide it by the amount of thousand miles. For example:

20 (ppm)/15 (thousand miles) = 1.25 ppm of lead per thousand miles.

great numbers, the high lead copper and iron are normal for a newer engine, nothing to worry about, this combo would be great with a bypass filter.
a while back another BITOG poster with a ford truck went the full 25thousand with stellar UOA using ASL and bypas filtration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back