Amsoil 505.01 rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a recently newsletter that I recieved from an Attendee to the DJ convention:

quote:

For those Volkswagen diesel owners concerned about specification 505.01, AMSOIL will be raising the rating on our 5W-40 European Motor Oil, #AFL, to meet or exceed this warranty requirement, in January 2006.

ms - please spell out the performance requirements of 505.01, so we don't get into a "paper only" argument
smile.gif

All I know is what the car manual says and I quote:

"To assure that the oil you use is of the highest quality required by your car the following terms must appear on the oil container singly or in combination with other designations:"

So according to the manual, as long as it appears on the bottlel THEN its a go. Didn't say approved or passed, or have some special seal of approval. Just say APPEAR on the CONTAINER.

Once the 505.01 is on the Amsoil Bottle, then its good enough for VW as stated in the owners manual.

I don't know the requirements. If Amsoil say's they meet it, well then I guess they do. If you don't like that, then don't use Amsoil. I'm not getting into arguments over what Amsoil meets and doesn't.

ms is probably smarter than me. I can't seem to avoid those rediculous discussions with people who wouldn't use a superior product because of some supposed interpretation of single word.
smile.gif

quote:

So according to the manual, as long as it appears on the bottlel THEN its a go. Didn't say approved or passed, or have some special seal of approval. Just say APPEAR on the CONTAINER.

I totally agree, but just wait until a laywer get's his hands on this proclamation.
wink.gif

One BITOG member on here, Andy H (notice, that his username is AndyH on TDIClub though), NOT AndyH, went to an Amsoil conference and met up with AJ and discussed the 505.01 spec. AJ personally told him that the 5w-40 AFL will be reformulated to meet the 505.01 spec and the new product will go onsale in January. More details here, look for Andy's post:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1124315&page=&fpart=4&vc=1

Michael

quote:

AJ personally told him that the 5w-40 AFL will be reformulated to meet the 505.01 spec

But will it be approved by VW? After all, that is the point of contention.

quote:

One BITOG member on here, Andy H (notice, that his username is AndyH on TDIClub though), NOT AndyH

You don't say...
*makes note in top-secret BITOG members personal information file*

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

quote:

AJ personally told him that the 5w-40 AFL will be reformulated to meet the 505.01 spec

quote:

One BITOG member on here, Andy H (notice, that his username is AndyH on TDIClub though), NOT AndyH

You don't say...
*makes note in top-secret BITOG members personal information file*

lol.gif

No, it won't officially be VW/Audi approved, just another oil like Schaeffer's, which is recommended in 505.01 apps by its respective manufacturer.

Gee, I tried to explain this to another member in a similar thread in Car/Truck Engine Oil, and he seems to have a misunderstanding between "officially approved for use in 505.01 apps by VW" and "approved for use in 505.01 apps by the fluid's manufacturer."
mad.gif

Nevertheless, in reality, the chances of the engine going toast due to a lube related failure is quite slim, and I personally wouldn't hesitate to use Amsoil's product over the GrpIII syn products by Motul, Elf, and Castrol as the Amsoil's product should be more stable viscosity wise, which may lead to reduced wear.

offtopic.gif

Moribundman, since we live so close, we ought to meet up one of these days.
wink.gif

Mike

Why can't Al call VW on the phone and get the new oil officially added to the approved list? You'd think that VW would like the idea of companies supplying oil for their precious little cars. VW can't possibly think they are in the oil production business. I guess if you're a tow truck driver you could always hope.

So, did VW get burned by owners putting the wrong oil in the crankcase? You don't think that dealers were using cheap oil do you.....naw. The dealer knows everything about oil.....don't they? Maybe VW is trying to protect themselves from the dealers and the owners that go somewhere else are just being caught in the middle.

I've heard statements from service managers that make me wonder what they know. And the oil they pour into your car may have more to do with cost to them then hitting the right specs. Or the choice could be based only on a preference expressed by someone in the dealership.

I'm with LarryL there. I believe that the dealers are a bigger problem than the customers. The customers will likely go with the carmaker's recommendation, if they are fully informed, but the dealers just want to lower their overhead. For years, my Audi dealer tried to put 20W-50 dino in my Audi.

quote:

Moribundman, since we live so close, we ought to meet up one of these days. [Wink]

Mike

Mike, what have you learned about meeting online aquaintances in real life? For all you know, I could be a 52 year old, sweaty psychopath who lives in a homemade bunker and sharpens his meat cleaver collection for hours every day, cackling madly through rotten teeth.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
I'm with LarryL there. I believe that the dealers are a bigger problem than the customers. The customers will likely go with the carmaker's recommendation, if they are fully informed, but the dealers just want to lower their overhead. For years, my Audi dealer tried to put 20W-50 dino in my Audi.

quote:

Moribundman, since we live so close, we ought to meet up one of these days. [Wink]

Mike

Mike, what have you learned about meeting online aquaintances in real life? For all you know, I could be a 52 year old, sweaty psychopath who lives in a homemade bunker and sharpens his meat cleaver collection for hours every day, cackling madly through rotten teeth.
wink.gif

I guess you didn't get the joke.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
Why can't Al call VW on the phone and get the new oil officially added to the approved list? You'd think that VW would like the idea of companies supplying oil for their precious little cars. VW can't possibly think they are in the oil production business. I guess if you're a tow truck driver you could always hope.

Al is too cheap to pay $500K for the licensing costs probably.
dunno.gif

Mike

[/QUOTE]But will it be approved by VW? After all, that is the point of contention.

What about Magnussun-Moss? This whole 505.01 thing has been a real arrogant stunt by VW.

quote:

Originally posted by Ron Jeremy:

What about Magnussun-Moss? This whole 505.01 thing has been a real arrogant stunt by VW.

[/QUOTE]
Theoretically, the act protects you from VW forcing you to use VW brand but does not protect you from having to use an oil that meets a particular spec.

The "hole" in VW's wording in their owners manual in regards to the oil spec is that they say that 505.01 must only be printed on the bottle, it makes no reference as to whether it must be approved for 505.01 by VW or only approved for 505.01 by the fluid's manufacturer.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back