Amsoil 3000 HDD 5W-30 for gas engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi; I have a 2002 GMC YUKON with the 6.0L gas engine. Some of you know about all the noise these engines make; piston slap, valve train, etc. Anyway the owners manual spec. 5W-30 and I was wondering about the Amsoil series 3000 HDD 5W-30 oil. If anyone knows the Zinc & Phos. PPM please share. Also is this likely to cause cat. converter poison? Thanks for any input.

It will not cause cat converter poison unless your engine is burning gobs of oil, in which case you probably would not be using this pricey oil anyway. So forget about that rediculous rumor that some people keep repeating. Also, this oil has a low volatility, meaning that very little oil will boil off over time. So your cats are safe. Meow.

This oil is CI4+ HDEO and therefore has elevated levels of anti-wear additives- more than your engine actually requires. So you are in the overkill zone there. This oil works great in a hardworking V8 gas engine, and will keep it alive a long time. I know of one 6.0 engine, same year and make except in a van chassis, that currently has over 400k miles on the original 6.0 engine using this oil. Vehicle and route have been sold and to our knowledge is still being used daily on a Fed-Ex Home Delivery route, but probably using another oil now. The rest of the story is that he was going 20-30k miles before changing this oil. Sometimes he would just change the oil filter in the middle or at 10-15k miles wih the previous SDF filters. I thought that was way too long, but the engine did stay running all day long. Before he used the HDD, he was going to the qwik-lube using bulk 10W-30 and changed every 2 weeks.

Originally Posted By: tig1
If you have piston slap oil will not stop that.

I agree, I just want to keep the wear that comes from piston slap to a minimum. I think I read that GM started to teflon treat or coat the piston skirts in later year engines to cut down on this wear.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
It will not cause cat converter poison unless your engine is burning gobs of oil, in which case you probably would not be using this pricey oil anyway. So forget about that rediculous rumor that some people keep repeating. Also, this oil has a low volatility, meaning that very little oil will boil off over time. So your cats are safe. Meow.

This oil is CI4+ HDEO and therefore has elevated levels of anti-wear additives- more than your engine actually requires. So you are in the overkill zone there. This oil works great in a hardworking V8 gas engine, and will keep it alive a long time. I know of one 6.0 engine, same year and make except in a van chassis, that currently has over 400k miles on the original 6.0 engine using this oil. Vehicle and route have been sold and to our knowledge is still being used daily on a Fed-Ex Home Delivery route, but probably using another oil now. The rest of the story is that he was going 20-30k miles before changing this oil. Sometimes he would just change the oil filter in the middle or at 10-15k miles wih the previous SDF filters. I thought that was way too long, but the engine did stay running all day long. Before he used the HDD, he was going to the qwik-lube using bulk 10W-30 and changed every 2 weeks.

Well, I kind of thought it may be a good oil. I'm just now learning that the HDD oils have vary little friction modifiers? Is this a bad thing? Thanks

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Cat poisoning is not a worry.

Zinc and phos in the 1200 range.

Not sure this oil will quiet a noisy engine though.

I'm surprised that the Zinc & Phos. PPM is not higher in this Amsoil blend. Is that really right, 1,200PPM ??

Originally Posted By: j454

I'm surprised that the Zinc & Phos. PPM is not higher in this Amsoil blend. Is that really right, 1,200PPM ??

How high do you want?? I think you are kidding yourself if you don't think 1200 ppm isn't fairly high for use in a gas engine and if you think just cranking up ZDDP is the be all end all in engine protection. Also be careful with the word "blend", but anyway HDD is a tad higher than 1200.....

Amsoil TSB

Hi; I have a 2002 GMC YUKON with the 6.0L gas engine. Some of you know about all the noise these engines make; piston slap, valve train, etc. Anyway the owners manual spec. 5W-30 and I was wondering about the Amsoil series 3000 HDD 5W-30 oil. If anyone knows the Zinc & Phos. PPM please share. Also is this likely to cause cat. converter poison? Thanks for any input.

Used it in my Tacoma three years ago when i towed 3500 lbs 1500 miles in late spring...handled great. Very minimal darkening and no buring.

How high do you want?? I think you are kidding yourself if you don't think 1200 ppm isn't fairly high for use in a gas engine and if you think just cranking up ZDDP is the be all end all in engine protection. Also be careful with the word "blend", but anyway HDD is a tad higher than 1200.....

Amsoil TSB

Sorry for using the "B" word, I'm not sure what other word to use when refering to a specific oil without restating the exact type of oil while referring to it. But, I do "get it" as for NOT using the "B" word with this Amsoil product I asked about.
As for the PPM of Zinc & Phos. I guess I'm use to Amsoil being the highest in these contents when compared to others in like application. And I've seen data on Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40 also stating 1,200PPM Zinc & 1,100PPM Phos. I did not mean to come across that those levels were insufficient.
Anyway now that you have got involved with my question, would you recommend a different 5W-30 Amsoil product for my application and also state why? Thanks

For 5W-30 in that engine, perhaps HDD IS your best choice for reasons stated above.

That said, I would try DEO 5W-40 next - which I think has a reasonable chance to be a bit more quiet than 5W-30. OR the ACD 10W-30 formulation. Both have the protection of diesel oils (taking different routes to get there). Both would be fine in your climate.

Pablo, I ran across some numbers on the Amsoil 3000 HDD 5W-30
Anyway it noted Phos. @ 1,266PPM & Zinc @ 1,379PPM is this correct? And if so, this is more along the lines I'd expected Amsoil to be compared to M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back