Amsoil 3000 5w-30 or Ams 10w-30 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only drive my car during spring,summer and fall. During winter months it is stored BUT I do start it up once a month and let it run for about ten minutes during the winter months. Should I use Ams 10w-30 which should give a little more protection during the warm summer or use the Ams 3000 series 5w-30 which will give better rust protection in the winter? How will this 3000 series compare to the 10w-30 syn in the summer?

I agree, starting it is a waste of time, and could do more harm than good.

When I had my LS1 Firebird I stored it in the winter. One year the roads were particularily bad so I could not take it out for my normal once a month highway run on a dry winter day. So it sat in my garage unstarted and unmoved for four solid months. When spring came I fired it up and it idled perfectly, no roughness and it ran great. No problems.

Agree, you either need to drive ti 10-15 miles when you do start it or as suggested, store it for the winter. A 10 min warm up, especially at idle is more harm then good.

Either oil is fine, the 5W series 3000 has a heavier additive package and can probably go longer drains. As this is not an issue with you I would probably save the $2/quart

[ January 09, 2003, 06:15 AM: Message edited by: Spector ]

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Either would work - BUT I'm not a big fan of the 10 minute warm up and shut down. I say just winterize it and store it.

You convinced me! My vette stays in bed for the winter with no ten minute wakeups!

Yankees1,

I've been using/selling Amsoil for over twenty years - aside from perhaps Terry Dyson, no one on this site is more familar with their products ....I'm not a site sponser, so please don't bother me trying to buy Amsoil. Get it from my friend Mike Sparks instead!

The Series 3000, 5w-30 is clearly the better choice for this particular application, since you don't drive the car very frequently. Diesel oils are the preferred choice for any engine that is used on a seasonal basis, such as a farm tractor, classic car, or marine inboard engine. The Series 3000 will provide better rust/corrosion protection and is a better overall product than the regular 5w-30 or 10w-30.

The Series 3000, 5w-30 meets the GM 4718 spec for the Vette and is excellent in gas engines. I posted an analysis of it in my 1995 Tacoma a while back - look it up and you'll see what I'm talking about. It is absolutely a bulletproof oil, as is Mobil Delvac 1 ....

TooSlick

[ January 09, 2003, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: TooSlick ]

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Yankees1,

I've been using/selling Amsoil for over twenty years - aside from perhaps Terry Dyson, no one on this site is more familar with their products ....I'm not a site sponser, so please don't bother me trying to buy Amsoil. Get it from my friend Mike Sparks instead!

The Series 3000, 5w-30 is clearly the better choice for this particular application, since you don't drive the car very frequently. Diesel oils are the preferred choice for any engine that is used on a seasonal basis, such as a farm tractor, classic car, or marine inboard engine. The Series 3000 will provide better rust/corrosion protection and is a better overall product than the regular 5w-30 or 10w-30.

The Series 3000, 5w-30 meets the GM 4718 spec for the Vette and is excellent in gas engines. I posted an analysis of it in my 1995 Tacoma a while back - look it up and you'll see what I'm talking about. It is absolutely a bulletproof oil, as is Mobil Delvac 1 ....

TooSlick

Thanks for your expert opinions which I am going to follow! What oil filter would you recommend? I have read several posts that the Amsoil filter is not that great of a filter for GM cars! Thanks!

I beleve you might have forgotten to include the great Molakule in your short list.

How many years did Terry Dyson sell Amsoil ? Is that the oil he uses ?

offtopic.gif

I see you have deleted you signature that eluded to your Amsoil website . I am very pro site sponsor and I certainly hope others are purchasing Amsoil from this forums sponsors if they are so inclined to use that brand oil. Without these sponsors the board would cost too much to maintain and we might loose the ability to converse here.

But who am I to comment on this,it is the guys that run this sites job.I am just a reader .

[ January 09, 2003, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: Pops ]

Pops, I used Amsoil first 25 years ago. Was a dealer about 4 years.

I no longer use any one product as I enjoy experimenting with a lot of diferent brands while manipulating the formulations based on people like Molekule and Slicks advice.

For fully formulated oils Amsoil is one of the top brands. You've seen my comments on other aspects of the brand.

I just did an analysis of a 2002 Corvette LS-1 with Amsoil 5W-30. Based on my results, I am not sure why you would want to spend the extra on the 3000 series. The results are in the analysis section.

quote:

Originally posted by vettenuts:
I just did an analysis of a 2002 Corvette LS-1 with Amsoil 5W-30. Based on my results, I am not sure why you would want to spend the extra on the 3000 series. The results are in the analysis section.

I e-mailed Amsoil and asked them the pros and cons of either using Amsoil 10w-30 or the 3000 series 5w-30 oil in my vette with the understanding that I don't drive it in the winter. Ed responded back that the 10w-30 is the oil that would best fit my vettes needs! I don't mind spending the extra bucks IF IF IF my cars engine will benefit from the 3000 series oil. Ed stated that the 10w-30 oil has all the rust inhibitors that the series 3000 has also. Why I would want to spend the extra? Well, I guess I could of bought a Miata to drive and it would of taken me from point A to point B the same as the vette but at a drastic reduction in price, BUT----------------------!

[ January 10, 2003, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: yankees1 ]

About a month ago I was griping about the price of Amsoil. Today I called them up and ordered 12qts. of 10w-30 for $62 including shipping. That is a phenomenal deal and is cheaper then Mobil 1 at any store in the NJ area. So for less money, I am getting a great oil. I am a preferred customer. You really can't beat it for the money.

First of all I do use some Amsoil products and have for years. I for one never complain about their products, they can speak for themselves. It's the $20 a year preferred customer fee that compels me to think about words I try not to use. I can remember when I had to pay a yearly fee to use a credit card, yearly fee to join Sam's Club, yearly fee to rent movies etc. and those things fall in the same category. I don't do any of those anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back