Amsoil 15W-40 at 18°F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank goodness for Butt heaters this AM. Record cold.

Car started right up, oil light went out instantly, and oil pressure gauge hesitated a second or less, pressure nominal cold. Idled a bit to clear WS, and off I drove. The 5K analysis may be interesting.

At 3k+, of a 5k interval experiment. Should I add LC?

Wow, thats really good condidering it's a 15W40!! Is that the AME? That is a nice oil. I didn't think the pacific northwest got that cold? Must be a record like you said. I'd save the LC. I think that oil will do fine without it. Just my .02.
smile.gif

You were previously running Amsoil 20W-50, right? Did the 20-50 see temps 18deg or less?

That Amsoil 15W-40 probably has cold cranking numbers similar to a dino 5W or 10W-30 so it should be just fine.

Definitely an early Nov. cold record.

It gets cold here when we have inland (read: Canada) influence and it is clear, when rainy we have Pacific influence....hence are general lack of snow. Only when the two pass, will we get the ocaisional snow...for sure too early. Tree still had leaves...now they are toast.

Yes AME. And yes I was running Amsoil S2K 20W-50 for a few years before and the weather dipped into teens...and honestly it did OK as well. (But that was before my BiTOG days and I wasn't so anal...well maybe I was...
shocked.gif
)

Maybe I'll try the LC in the 855.

Just took a look at the specs:

CCS Viscosity @ -20°C is 3600!!!!!
grin.gif

My beloved Pennz. Long-Life is 6400.
Mobil Delvac 1300 is 6000.

The benefits of synthetics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back