Amsoil 10W40 HP Motorcycle oil, 1991 Suzuki GSXR Dragbike, 35 passes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a co-worker that drag races somewhat competitively drag races motorcycles. He went up to the super gas class this year. He was in a street class last year and I believe took second overall. I have never seen a UOA on a dragbike before so I thought this might be of interest to everyone.

He had the motor for this bike rebuilt before the start of the season and was wanting to find a way to not have to change the oil after every competition or test and tune and decided to use Amsoil and see how it would hold up. Based on the UOA it would seem it did well, though as I mentioned, Ive never seen one on such equipment before. He's got three scheduled competitions left and was looking to maybe being able to go all year without having to change the oil or at a minimum, just the filter.

Time On Oil - 35 1/4mile passes
Lab - Oil Analyzers, Inc.
Oil Filter - Wix 51359

Iron - 28
Chromium - 1
Lead - 551
Copper - 10
Tin - 0
Aluminum - 12
Nickel - 0
Silver - 0
Silicon - 26
Boron - 37
Sodium - 6
Magnesium - 255
Calcium - 2777
Barium - 0
Phosphorus - 1294
Zinc - 1496
Molybdenum - 44
Titanium - 0
Vanadium - 0
Potassium - 0

Fuel %vol - Vis. @ 100C cSt - 12.07
Water %vol - 0
Soot/Solids %wt - N/A
Glycol - Negative

TBN - 9.84
Oxidation - 29.0
Nitration - 27.0

Incidently, he runs no air filter. He's also running 110, 113 or there abouts, octane fuel which I believe accounts for the lead reading. That aside, I thought that the oil did a pretty good job but I would certainly like to hear from everyone else.

the iron is WAY WAY WAY beyond the level of normal.

the VI shows it has sheared itself to a 30wt, at best.

imho, he should have changed this oil 15 runs ago.

Okay, I wasnt sure about that. He's running 4qts of oil and I thought maybe for as hard as he is on the bike, basically nothing but wide open runs, that it was not as bad as I would have expected, and for a rebuilt motor it doesnt seem to show the iron and other break in wear I am used to seeing in automotive UOA's

He did state he was going to change the oil before the next competition which is in another week or so.

except for warm up time, burn outs and return trip, he has a total of 9 miles on this oil. call it 20-30 with that included.

he needs to change any oil he uses more frequently than not. this is where the price vs performance really gets tricky on bikes.

ie $8 for oil and change it every 10 or $16 and change it every 20?

i'll take the 10 race OCI every time!!!

p.s. i LOVE P66 town!

I look at the numbers in that report, and yeah, iron is high for the literal number of miles the bike has travelled, but I don't find it to be a concern. What I mean is, can we really tell if the wear is high because the oil was used too long, did iron increase exponentially? Or did the iron wear in a linear fashion? Is it wearing due to some non-oil related issue (ie. the abuse of drag racing, especially with no air filter) and would half the number of runs produce half the amount of iron, in essense the same wear rate? If he's really interested in stretching the oil as long as he can, he could try routine UOA's after every 8-10 runs, and learn when the oil seems to lose it's effectiveness. I do agree that the viscocity is very low, so the oil is probably near it's end for drag racing. He could possibly mix 10W-40 and 20W-50 in order to bring up the initial viscocity, and top up with 20W-50 to keep it up.

Any oil used to drag race in any vehicle with a new or rebuilt motor WILL show higher iron from break-in. This report looks fine to me, I would finish the race season and change oil and filter then.

This engine is showing signs of not being driven in a conservative fashion . It is interesting to see these kind of anaylsis .

It would be a good idea for him to at least run some K&N gravel strainers.

None of the numbers look alarming for a recently rebuilt, high performance engine doing drag race duty.

If his oil temps are staying down, the lowered viscosity of the oil shouldn't be a problem either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back