Amsoil 10W-30/SAE 30(ACD)???

Messages
11,211
Location
Bad Axe, MI
found some post on the topic but still undecided. i have a LT2000 craftsman rider('05) with the 18.5hp single cyl. full pressurized lube(with filter) is this a good oil to use or not?? i like the 12tbn for hot running air cooled engines plus i want a good true Synthetic that's rated for strait 30w. will it hurt anything running this oil,in this engine will it protect good(wear)?? i like amsoil but can't decide from this or maybe something else, running stock briggs oil now.. thanks guy's
 
Last edited:
Messages
664
Location
Buffalo, NY
That's a nice oil. Running it in a 18hp Kohler Magnum (cub cadet snowblower); starts real nice in the winter now. Planning to switch to in ATV's Kohler Command 25hp at next change. I think it has no friction modifiers but i'm not sure.
 

daman

Thread starter
Messages
11,211
Location
Bad Axe, MI
Quote:
Amsoil ACD will work great in your mower. If by FM's you mean gas engine oil types, no it doesn't, as most HDEO's don't, but this is not a problem for yard equipment.
K thanks Pablo, just wanted to make shure being it's a diesl oil. So no problems running it?? looks like i'll be putting around 50-60 hr's a season on her... thanks for the welcome too
 
Messages
5,785
Location
Dixie
ACD was the first synthetic diesel oil available in the US when it was introduced back in 1975. A very well proven product, although their Series 2000, 0w-30 would be better for the snowblower in extremely cold weather.
 

daman

Thread starter
Messages
11,211
Location
Bad Axe, MI
Thanks,yea that would be great see. you would think it would hold up good with the robus add pack it has. and i'd be only putting around 60hrs a year on the oil.
 
I have been using the ACD since the early 80's. Used it in my Cummings, Detroit, International Harvester, and Volkswagon diesel engines. I started to experiment with my riding lawn mowers and snowplow...1980 cubcadet with the Onan engine. The riding lawn mower, cabcadet, and push lawn mower are still used everyday in there Season. That's 20+ years and have not rebuild them.........really! I am now running 10K OCI's on my 318 Dodge, 3.8 Liter Chrysler, and 1.6 Liter Suzuki. I really like this oil, but am keeping a close eye on the new diesel oil standards. I might just go with the Amsoil 0-40 or 10-30 if the ACD formulation changes for the worst. TooSlick ran the 0-40 ATV/4 Stroke oil in one of his cars for 10K "I believe" and the UOA was steller.
 
I have used it many of my lawn equipment. It is a good proven fleet oil. Cant go wrong with a tbn of 12. I love the fact that it is a 10W-30/30 wt. I am using it in a customers 06 D-MAX right now. I am gonna let it run til the dic olm says it is toast and will maybe do a sample and leave it in til it comes back and dump it if see is loaded or leave it if it comes back showing more service is in the oil. JR
 

daman

Thread starter
Messages
11,211
Location
Bad Axe, MI
Quote:
I have been using the ACD since the early 80's. Used it in my Cummings, Detroit, International Harvester, and Volkswagon diesel engines. I started to experiment with my riding lawn mowers and snowplow...1980 cubcadet with the Onan engine. The riding lawn mower, cabcadet, and push lawn mower are still used everyday in there Season. That's 20+ years and have not rebuild them.........really! I am now running 10K OCI's on my 318 Dodge, 3.8 Liter Chrysler, and 1.6 Liter Suzuki. I really like this oil, but am keeping a close eye on the new diesel oil standards. I might just go with the Amsoil 0-40 or 10-30 if the ACD formulation changes for the worst. TooSlick ran the 0-40 ATV/4 Stroke oil in one of his cars for 10K "I believe" and the UOA was steller.
Great,,thanks for the story.
 

JHZR2

Staff member
Messages
45,973
Location
New Jersey
I use it, I like it... I used havoline high moly oil for breakin though... I use it in: -1700W Robin Subaru inverter generator -Honda/CAT (pump) power washer -3.5hp flathead B&S mower -Small Robin Subaru water pump All work great, use no oil, and Im confident of the oil being up to task for the whole year, without issue for operating temperatures, etc. JMH P.S. LargeCarManx2 - why do you think ACD might take a change for the worst? From what Ive heard, that one should stay relatively consistent, due to its applicability to the uses it is designed for... their new HDD product would be the one that 'takes the turn', in meeting the new specs... JMH
 
I Guess I am just leary where the (Powers that Be) are going to bring Diesel engines and oil specs for them to. Hopefully, the ACD will remain the same as well as the others, and the new formulations will be for specific year diesel engines. I have an older diesel engine, and when I go to fill up the tank with diesel fuel....there is a sticker on the pump that say's "This fuel might not be compatable with older pre-90's engines" or something to that effect. Time will tell about the oil also.
 
Messages
892
Location
LI, NY
Quote:
found some post on the topic but still undecided. i have a LT2000 craftsman rider('05) with the 18.5hp single cyl. full pressurized lube(with filter) is this a good oil to use or not?? i like the 12tbn for hot running air cooled engines plus i want a good true Synthetic that's rated for strait 30w. will it hurt anything running this oil,in this engine will it protect good(wear)?? i like amsoil but can't decide from this or maybe something else, running stock briggs oil now.. thanks guy's
Are you sure this is a full pressure lube engine? I have an '03 LT2000 and it's not full pressure lube although it does have a filter. Mine is a Briggs Intek 18HP.
 

daman

Thread starter
Messages
11,211
Location
Bad Axe, MI
Yes i'm pretty shure,this is my motor; 18.5 Intek with AVS (Anti-Vibration System ) Pressure Lubrication with Spin-on Oil Filter (Clean oil is delivered to critical engine components for maximum lubrication and longer engine life).
 
Messages
2,016
Location
North Carolina
Wouldn't it be better to run AMSOIL's ASE. Since they specifically formulated it for the small engine commercial industry that would be the better choice wouldn't it? ASE
 

daman

Thread starter
Messages
11,211
Location
Bad Axe, MI
Quote:
Wouldn't it be better to run AMSOIL's ASE. Since they specifically formulated it for the small engine commercial industry that would be the better choice wouldn't it? ASE
I'm not shure, thats why i starded this thread i'm so undecided the ACD is some good stuff i hear,robus with a TBN of 12,the ASE looks good too, i got till spring to figure it out.
 
Messages
1,674
Location
Morrow, Georgia
I've used the Amsoil 4-Stroke 0w-40 with no problems at all. I had one lawnmower that was neglected, and I admit to that. I once ran it dry of oil, it of course stalled and wouldn't crank back up. So I let it sit for a couple of days and filled it full of Mystik SAE 30 and sure enough it fired back up (I got lucky!). A few months later I put in the XL 5w-30, engine was consuming some oil though. A few months later I put the 0w-40 in there and it quit using oil and somehow or another used less fuel. Started on the first try every time. Though I one day got angry with that mower and dismantled it so it ended up by the street and is someone else's problem now. Anyway the point of that was to say that any of the choices suggested here should be perfect. I plan to use either the ACD or ASE when I'm out of 0w-40. Though I would see no harm in using the 5w-30 or 10w-30 either, it's more a matter of how much are you looking to spend.
 
Top