Amsoil 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
This is a question for our Amsoil sponsors, have any of you sold any of the 0w40 (AFF) to someone who runs it in an automobile? (instead of it's intended use in snowmobiles, ATVs, motorcycles) Any UOAs on it?

This oil has me curious, as it's specs look very close to what might be my ideal viscosity for my LT1, with a viscosity of 74cst at 40C and 14.2cst at 100C.

I also liked this quote, as this oil might help reduce my iron due to corrosion:

quote:

Copper Corrosion, Rust and Foam Inhibition
AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil protects equipment from copper corrosion and rust, even during equipment storage. AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil does not foam in service, protecting equipment from the metal-to-metal contact and wear that occurs with use of foam-filled fluids.

But this quote has me worried, I'm not sure if having no friction modifiers is good for my engine or not?

quote:

Friction Modifier Free

AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil contains no friction modifiers, making it ideal for ATV, outboard motor and motorcycle engines. The friction modifier free formulation of AMSOIL 4-Stroke ensures transmission (manual or automatic) and clutch compatibility and prevents slip.

Also, why does this oil have a 7500 mile/6mo rating? It doesn't use a group 3 base does it? Does this oil maintain it's viscosity very well?

Never used it for anything.

Define "friction modifiers". I think the code word is Molybdenum.

As far as I know it is not group 3.

[ August 10, 2003, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

quote:

Q. Can I use AMSOIL AFF 0W-40 in my car or truck?
A. YES. AMSOIL AFF 0W-40 can be used in in any gasoline 4-stroke automobile engine. Recommended change intervals are at 7500 miles, or 6 months. AMSOIL AFF can also be used in diesel powered cars or trucks, with change intervals as recommended by your vehicle manufacturer.

[ August 10, 2003, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

quote:

Would Mobil 1 0w40 be similar?

Yes, and Delvac 1 would be the best choice for a Vette IMO of all the Mobil line. I just put D1 in my 1.8l Toyo and the car hasn't lost any noticeable power. I'll probably take a hit in MPG but I'm not concerned. I ran M1 10w-30, which I'm about to send off, very hard. At least 10 redlines, 80% city driving. My car tends to beat up oils quickly. So my comparison can't use this sample but I'm still going to sample it.

Patman, I think the NOAK on this oil is around 11.68%. I think it might be too volatile. LS1's should be very happy with Amsoil's 0w-30 or any of there 30wts for that matter bc they are all on the heavier side. Plus the TBN is about a 9 so I wouldn't suggest it.
smile.gif

[ August 10, 2003, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

Would Mobil 1 0w40 be similar?

Yes, and Delvac 1 would be the best choice for a Vette IMO of all the Mobil line. I just put D1 in my 1.8l Toyo and the car hasn't lost any noticeable power. I'll probably take a hit in MPG but I'm not concerned. I ran M1 10w-30, which I'm about to send off, very hard. At least 10 redlines, 80% city driving. So my comparison can't use this sample but I'm still going to sample it.

Geez....I would hate to see my UOA's. I have about 200 redlines and about 25 1/4 mile passes on the oil in my truck at the present.

Patman,

I've used the Amsoil 0w-40 in my Audi and it worked fine, but it's not a super long extended drain oil. The baseline TBN is only about 9.0, compared to 12+ for the rest of their stuff. I would also not expect it to be as shear stable as their 5w-30 or10w-30. I asked about HT/HS viscosity one time - it was about 3.8-3.9 as I recall, so there is no significant increase over their xw-30 formulations.

If you really want a 40wt, the Amsoil 10w-40 would be a better choice. Current formulation is 14.7 Cst @ 100C, with a HT/HS of 4.2 Cp @ 150C. The 10w-40 is also ACEA "A3/B3' rated ....

TooSlick

The problem with the 10w40 is that it's even thicker at 40C (closer to 80cst) and I want an oil that is a 5w or 0w, since whatever oil I run in my Firebird is going to be used all year round, including our winters (which can get down to -10F on occasion, and my car is always parked outside)

Patman,

In that case, I'd try Delvac 1, 5w-40 ....

Yes, I know it's marketed as a HD diesel oil, but the additive levels really aren't that high:

Mg, 500 ppm
Ca, 2200 ppm
P, 1000 ppm
Zn, 1200 ppm
Boron, 90 ppm

TBN, 12
HT/HS, approx 4.0 Cp

Probably the best synthetic oil they make, IMHO.

TS

I should add that the viscosity @ 40C/104F really isnt' critical at all. I'd almost consider that to be a warm start.

You want to look at CCS viscosities for temps < 0F in this situation....

New specs for the Amsoil 10w-30:

vis @ 100C, 11.7 cst
vis @ 40C, 66 Cst
VI, 176
CCS @ -25C, 3097 Cp
Noack, 5.5%
TBN > 12.2
HT/HS > 3.5 Cp

The 5w-30 is very similar, but the cold temp properties are about 10F better ....

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I find the 40C viscosity to be very important, even in the summer. Most mornings here right now the temperature is about 20C (70F) so if one oil that I choose is 100cst at 40C while another is 60-70cst, I feel most comfortable with the 60-70cst oil as I feel it will reduce the wear significantly, especially since my LT1 engine takes a very long time to fully warm up the oil.

Since Delvac 1 is 102cst at 40C, it's far too thick for my comfort level.

I really wish oil companies would give their viscosities at other temps too, such as -20C, 0C, 10C, 20C, etc. At least the 100C rating is pretty close to the average oil temp most engines see when fully warmed up, but what is the thinking behind the 40C rating? I think manufacturers should have given out the specs at slightly cooler temps, those closer to normal oil temp when you first start your car on an average morning (such as 20C)

Perhaps in the future, they'll make an oil that I would consider to be perfect for the LT1&LS1 engines, that is an oil with a viscosity of 40cst at 40C, and 13cst at 100C. This oil also must not thin out more than 0.5cst in 6k. Will this dream ever become a reality? If so, will it cost $20 a quart though??

quote:

I really wish oil companies would give their viscosities at other temps too, such as -20C, 0C, 10C, 20C, etc. At least the 100C rating is pretty close to the average oil temp most engines see when fully warmed up, but what is the thinking behind the 40C rating? I think manufacturers should have given out the specs at slightly cooler temps, those closer to normal oil temp when you first start your car on an average morning (such as 20C)

Patman,What I did was take a Temp/Visc from a manufacturer chart and cleaned it up in paint shop to use when comparing viscosities,
offtopic.gif
just did this recently trying to decide what oil to use in the front axle of our MF 1160,it was starting to get some backlash.Massey recomends a Permatran III(Universal Tractor Transmission Oil)or a SAE 80 GL-4,I didn't have the specs for the Permatran so I used Chevron's specs for 1000 THF to compare the viscosities against an SAE 80 and Chevrons 80w90 ESI which meets GL-4 and GL-5,I'ts viscosity runs almost exactly with the SAE 80 I plotted it with.
If you shoot me an email I can send you the blank chart

But how can you know what it's viscosity at 20C or 0C would be? I think some oils (like the 0w oils) end up with drastically different curves below 40C compared to a 5w or 10w oil. Most 0w oils out there seem to be thicker at 40C than the average 5w30 or 10w30, but I know once it gets extremely cold out, they must be thinner in order to achieve the better cold cranking numbers.

quote:

Perhaps in the future, they'll make an oil that I would consider to be perfect for the LT1&LS1 engines, that is an oil with a viscosity of 40cst at 40C, and 13cst at 100C

Patman, you worry about this stuff way to much.
smile.gif
The best oils for an LS1 or LT1 IMO would be:

Amsoil 0w-30, 5w-30, 10w-40 or Mobil 1 10w-30, D1 or 0w-40. It makes zero sense to run Amsoil's 0w-40 for several reasons as stated above. In all honesty, I think S2k is the way to go in a Vette and probably is what I would run.

[ August 10, 2003, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Patman simply wants the best oil for his engine. Just as he wants the best exhaust system for his LT1.
grin.gif
I noticed your post on the LS1 board about your purchase of the SLP 2OTL system which IMO is the best sounding catback for the LT1. Congrats!

BTW It really really sounds bada** with a set of Hooker LT headers upstream of it!
cheers.gif

quote:

Patman simply wants the best oil for his engine

Right, and they are the ones posted above, not the 0w-40 Motorcycle oil. Not only does it have poor volatility, they don't even bother to post the HT/HS numbers. Amsoil's 30wt line is perfectly idea for these engines if I were to base everything off of specs. High 30wt., great Ht/Hs, and great wear additives.

[ August 10, 2003, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

New specs for the Amsoil 10w-30:

vis @ 100C, 11.7 cst
vis @ 40C, 66 Cst
VI, 176
CCS @ -25C, 3097 Cp
Noack, 5.5%
TBN > 12.2
HT/HS > 3.5 Cp

BTW, these are some d@mn good numbers!
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Ryan00TJ:
Patman simply wants the best oil for his engine. Just as he wants the best exhaust system for his LT1.
grin.gif
I noticed your post on the LS1 board about your purchase of the SLP 2OTL system which IMO is the best sounding catback for the LT1. Congrats!

BTW It really really sounds bada** with a set of Hooker LT headers upstream of it!
cheers.gif

That'll be next year's mod!
smile.gif

My wife drove the car on Friday, for the first time since the exhaust was put on, and she said to me, that muffler sounds modified to me!
nono.gif
I just played dumb.
dunno.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif
My excuse for buying the system was that I had an exhaust leak (true, although easily fixable) and that the muffler was rotting out (also true, although exageratted, since it was only showing beginning stages of minor surface rust)
smile.gif

BTW, I realize this particular 0w40 might not be the best for my engine, I'm just trying to see what is out there. The viscosity is closer to what I desire though. One thing is for sure, I enjoy experimenting with different oils.

First things first though, I'm gonna test out the 0w30 Castrol for a while, and see how it goes. If all goes well it's the perfect choice, since it's very cost effective and relatively easy to find (I might need to go to one or two other Walmarts, but generally speaking most of them up here now carry it and I heard it's spread into Canadian Tire stores in Ottawa now too)

Other alternatives if this oil doesn't work would be Belgian made Castrol 5w40 (I really want to know it's 40C spec first though) and Amsoil 5w30 ASL is also definitely a major contender too.

I think your choices are good ones. I like the looks of the Castrol 0w-30. I think Amsoil would be a great choice as well.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I think your choices are good ones. I like the looks of the Castrol 0w-30. I think Amsoil would be a great choice as well.

So many good oils, so little cars in my test fleet...
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back