Amsoil 0W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mostly in my mother-in-laws car. She lives in Iowa and runs it two years at a time. B-I-L bought it for her.

As I recall, its a 3.1 L(?) V-6 Oldsmobile.

It has done very well for her short (10 mile) trips into town. No figures on analysis or trends, mileage or anything else. We know it does not seem to degrade visibly or turn dark in two years of usage, and she has always been able to start the car in the extremely cold and humid winter weather of N.E. Iowa. Previous 5W30 Valvoline dino would not allow starting in cold weather without jump start.

I think 0w30 is overkill. The 10w30 will flow at colder temps than you'll ever see (unless you're in Alaska) and it'll use less VII.

I use it in one car. I have one analysis on it if you look at the analysis section of this board and look at the Mercury post. A few uears on 10W30 and last 1 1/2 on the 0W. I am surprised the additives do no look much different then the 10W30. Maybe base considerably different. I go one year with a filter at 6 months but this car only gets 8,000-10,000 miles a year. Either a Pure one or K&N filter is used. 70,000 miles on car, purchased with 30,000 on it and switched to Amsoil. No engine cleaning agent used. Engine appears clean inside (as seen through oil filler hole in valve cover) , no yellow tarnish or varnish build up. I thought the 0W would stop a slap on start up but it has no effect. Engine consumes no oil so let it be. I see no diff between the 10W30 and 0W.

If you've got piston slap on startup, why go to a thinner oil? Everyone I know who had a piston slap problem with 5w30 for instance, noticed that by going to a 10w30 the slap went away, or at least was reduced.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I think 0w30 is overkill. The 10w30 will flow at colder temps than you'll ever see (unless you're in Alaska) and it'll use less VII.

Patman,
Here in Minnesota where I live, about 6 years back the actual temperature was -54(F) below zero.
In the winter it is not unusual to have -30 and -40 below with highs of -10 to 0. And this can go on from January through early March.
It is nice to have an oil that will allow easy starting on these mornings. I do have a garage, but not everyone here does.
0W30 is not overkill, it is an oil (Amsoil or Mobil 1) that successfully works in a very broad temperature range (super sub zero to hot and humid), I know because the proof is in my engine (224,000, 3.1 v6, runs great).

Good Day,
Steven
smile.gif

But even the Amsoil 10w30 has a pour point of -54F, how much less is the 0w30 in this regard? From what I recall, it isn't that much different. And keep in mind too, if it's -54F outside, it'll be a little bit warmer in your crankcase. Besides, if it's ever that cold, just stay home!
smile.gif

In my area, I have never ever seen it get below -25c, which is about -10F or -15F I believe. And even that is extremely rare. Last winter for instance, it didn't go below 0F even once.

[ July 16, 2002, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Johnny,

offtopic.gif

That's also why they invented Domino's Pizza, Miller beer, and the TV remote
grin.gif
. Although, in Wausau, the Wausau Mine Company makes better Pizza (is it still open?). I grew up in Wausau, and moved to Oshkosh 20 years ago.

YEa, and you guys in Minnesota and Wisconsin just love to share your cold weather with the Iowans, too. Even with the Amsoil 10W30 (which we tried for one year), her car grunts on cold mornings.

My M-I-L does hospice work and no matter whatever the weather, she has to get it started and go. And since the summers are mild, Amsoil 0W30 seems to fit the bill.

Scott in WI:

offtopic.gif
The Wausau Mine is alive and well. And they still have those great Italian Fries. If everyone on this site had the chance to eat some of this pizza and Italian Fries, they would make it not off topic. Heck, there is enough oil on it to start your car. Here's to pizza, Miller Beer, and the TV remote. And as for at that goes, here's to everyone on the board.
cheers.gif

I've been using AMSOIL 0W-30 for years now, since it first came out. Now in 1988 Saab 9000Turbo, 1985 Saab 900Turbo, Volvo 1985 245 turbo, 1990 Dodge B350 van.

Major difference, from what I've seen, is in the additive package. Son-in-law picked up consistent 50-70 miles per tankful of gas in his Saab 900T after changing to 0W-30 from the 10W-30.

Fellow who blueprints Briggs and Stratton engines said he went from 18 to 21 horsepower when he changed from whatever he was using to AMSOIL 0W-30.

MolaKule
You say "0W30 OK because summers are mild" So you wouldn't use in a 80-100f then??

**** In Falls Church

I see you use in turbo engines, is your area hot in summer? Tks..

I saw an oil analysis report on the Amsoil 0-30 that was pretty bad on Noria. The oil had sheared out of grade and was toast after 17K in miles.
Oil analyzers Inc. said the "oil was suitable for continued use" They see to like that phrase. I have seen it on many oil reports from them.

Don~

Sprintman-
Falls Church is 10-45 minutes outside Washington DC. Has been known to hit 100 F in the summer, and have had weeks of 90+.
Seldom gets much below 0 F in winter--usually closer to freezing.

But I grew up in Wisconsin. Remember back in the Dark Ages, I was home for semester break. Got to -54 F, and during the week it warmed up to -20.
Most folks had a garage out back--very few had the garage as part of the house. Only a few cars and the buses (kept in heated garage) ran!
Some took their battery out and kept it inside overnight. Oil was so thick it didn't make any difference.

Some years back I told the Ripon College, Ripon WI recruiter to use synthetic oil. Saw him about a year later--he smiled, said that he thought about me after he replaced his engine. Hadn't put synthetic in it, and a bad cold spell left him dumping so much gas into the cylinders that it took the lube off.

Winters is one reason I didn't return to WI.
Taxes is another.

don-
I've seen a lot of reports that showed 0W-30 still good after 30-35,000 miles.
Have also seen reports which showed regular oil bad after a couple of thousand miles. Of course, the engine wasn't in sound shape, either.

Originally posted by Patman:
[QB]But even the Amsoil 10w30 has a pour point of -54F, how much less is the 0w30 in this regard? From what I recall, it isn't that much different. And keep in mind too, if it's -54F outside, it'll be a little bit warmer in your crankcase. Besides, if it's ever that cold, just stay home!
smile.gif

Patman,
Believe me, when it does get that cold I do not go anywhere if I do not have to. (Emergencies do arise though).
I used the Amsoil 0W30 and the 5W30 but had to add a quart after 1800 miles. With the Mobil 1 0W30 I am now at 3000 miles on it and it is still on full (SupeySyn).
I was thinking of trying the Amsoil 10W30 to see if it would stay in longer, as I prefer the Amsoil, can go safely to longer drains than with the Mobil 1.

Steven
cheers.gif

I personally think that the 10w30 oils will last better for longer drains than the 0w30s and 5w30s. Those two thinner oils will thin out much faster based on oil analysis results I have seen. Plus having less VII is always a benefit for those long drains.

Patman, icruse is telling you the truth. I have seen those -54F days here in Wisconsin. For some reason, our good friends in Minnesota just love to share with us.
grin.gif
Remember, there is a big difference in pour point and pumpability. On those really cold mornings there is a tremendous strain on everything, including the battery. The 0W30 works much better. My next door neighbor sells Amsoil and says the 0W30 is the cats meow.

Unlike my friends in Minnesota, when it gets below -5F, I stay inside. That's why they invented telemarketing.
cheers.gif

Oil analyis--**** mentioned he thought the additive package was better. My analysis showed about the same additives as the 10W30. Are we talking of additives that don't show up in analysis.

Again, I used it in a 98 Maxima and it showed no increase in mpg or anything else and again I am using it in a 96 Mercury without any noticeable benefits over the 10W30. For $2/quart more I just do not believe it is worth the price and no one goes 25,000 miles a year so who cares about 35,000 (well, mayber a few) You have to change the stuff in one year anyway. I am going back to the 10W at next change.

As to it being thinner, well, if it is it is close to the 10W unlike Mobil where there is a huge diff.

Amsoil dealers all swear by the 0W but no doubt it is a higher profit margin and the new kid on the block as well

[ July 17, 2002, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: Spector ]

"You say "0W30 OK because summers are mild" So you wouldn't use in a 80-100f then??"

Depends on the engine. I wouldn't put it in a hot Toyota or my Nissan and run it in the lower Midest down the turnpike in summer with an outside temp of 105 F.

My B-I-L says the profit margin on 0W30 is next to nil because of the dealer price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back