Amsoil 0W30, 4849 miles, 00 Volvo S70

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a turbo?

Your TBN is very depressed and oxidation and nitration spiked. The oil is starting to thicken, whereas the other OCI's didn't. Something is going on. It could be the fuel, the lab, driving habit changes or indeed the oil itself. Do you have any left?

Did this run have more short trip driving? I hate this oil for short trip driving. I never recommend it for city only and certainly don't use it in my wife's 850.

I say hire Terry's services. If you don't want to pay for a professional analysis, run an AutoRx clean and switch to the much lower cost 5W-40 AFL or even the 10W-30 ATM. I know this engine - and the S2K 0W-30 is not a good fit.

Here is the latest UOA on my 2000 Volvo S70. There are a couple of noteworthy points:

1) Silicon is nice and low even though I was running a K&N for most of the year and they are doing road construction everywhere here.

2) Check out the NITR and OXID. I would have been alarmed, but my other car also shows a similar jump. That UOA can be found here web page I wonder if there is something going on with the analysis lab or with the original oil itself.

-

quote:

Did this run have more short trip driving? I hate this oil for short trip driving. I never recommend it for city only and certainly don't use it in my wife's 850.

I say hire Terry's services. If you don't want to pay for a professional analysis, run an AutoRx clean and switch to the much lower cost 5W-40 AFL or even the 10W-30 ATM. I know this engine - and the S2K 0W-30 is not a good fit.

Nothing is different this year in terms of driving. My guess is the lab, since I see similar changes on two cars.

Yes...of course this is mostly short trip driving.

Why would I run an AutoRx? There is nothing wrong here. Wear is good and there is no contamination.

Why do you you hate this oil so much?

I don't "hate" the S2K 0W-30 oil per se. I just don't think it's the best fit for a Volvo of any vintage, and it's way too expensive vs. other Amsoil motor oils that will actually give you better wear numbers.

Wear is just OK. But to be honest I think I had less wear with a 20K mile OCI with plain jane ASL 5W-30.

You very well be correct on the lab error. I don't think labs quite get the oxid. and nitration numbers correct on S2K most of the time - and some subtle error could really throw it off. I would call them tomorrow for sure before you do anything. Tell them the situation. Do you have some virgin oil left?

No different fuel? No fuel adds?

I would say that a cleaning may not be 100% necessary - especially given the car's total mileage. The low TBN's may just be the result of the short trip driving as well. However, if you do an AutoRx - you can start with a clean slate, so to speak.

If the oxi. and nit. stay high - maybe think about LC - I am not a true believer - but it is said to help oxidation.

I think Volvo engines while long lasting and of excellent reputation, do have blowby and breathing issues which are very non-friendly to some oils. The stout bottom ends and OHC-followers are not particularly hard on oil. Luckily turbos don't have flame traps.

I do agree - it's not a horrible report and it's very strange both of your cars had the same issues. Call the lab and get back at us.

Thanks for posting!

quote:

Wear is just OK. But to be honest I think I had less wear with a 20K mile OCI with plain jane ASL 5W-30.

I have fresh 0W30 in there now. This is not from the same order as last year, so no virgin oil left.

Maybe I will try the 5W30 as an experiment, but that will be next year. I'll test a 6mos this time around though.

My motivation for the 0W30 was fuel economy and start-up wear protection.

On your other question, no difference in fuel. I do use PI, but that was the same last time too.

What is it about Volvo engines that make the 0W30 a suboptimal match?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back