Amsoil 0w-30 or 5w-30 in 04 Honda V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to go to Amsoil in our new 04 Saturn Vue with the Honda V6. The manual calls for 5w-20. Which Amsoil product we be better for gas mileage...or is is just a coin toss? Is it worth the $3 more per quart for the 0w?

Thanks,
Mike

I've heard and learned that Amsoil's 0w30 contains more wear anti wear additives than does the other Amsoil motor oils. Amsoil makes **** good oil, all lines. The I see it as if your using either the 5w20 or 0w30, either way you should be fine. But JMO, I would go with 0w30,,,,AR

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
Which Amsoil product we be better for gas mileage...or is is just a coin toss? Is it worth the $3 more per quart for the 0w?

Thanks,
Mike

No doubt in my mind the 0w30 is my choice for any new vehicle. Change the oil once a year and the cost difference is pennies over that year. Especially when you factor in the fuel savings.

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
Which Amsoil product we be better for gas mileage...or is is just a coin toss? Is it worth the $3 more per quart for the 0w?

Thanks,
Mike

No doubt in my mind the 0w30 is my choice for any new vehicle. Change the oil once a year and the cost difference is pennies over that year. Especially when you factor in the fuel savings.

BTW the cost difference is $1.90 at the wholesale price.

Mike,

Maximum drain interval recommended by Honda for most of their engines is 10,000 miles. If you don't plan to exceed that and drive long distances, the 5w-30 will probably be more cost effective.

If you feel comfortable with the idea of running oil change intervals of > 12,000 miles, and you do mostly short trip driving, the 0w-30 WILL be more cost effective. The 0w-30 also has a better additive package and will reduce oil temps and oil consumption; compared to the regular 5w-30.

If you buy the 0w-30 in gallon containers and not quarts, the price difference between it and the regular 5w-30/10w-30 is $2.00/qt. The scientific thing would be to buy a split case of the 0w-30/5w-30 (2-TSO-1G and 2- ASL-1G) - two gallons of each - and run them back (run the 5w-30 first). See if you think the 0w-30 is worth the extra money.

FWIW, I would personally run either the 0w-30 or Series 3000, 5w-30 in this case, and I also pay $2.00 more per quart for the stuff at dealer prices. I would not exceed 15,000 mile drain intervals in ANY case. I think you get better long term results if you drain the oil when there is still some safety margin.

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
offtopic.gif
how do you like the saturn vue with the honda v6? I plan on buying it in a year or two

We really like it! I think it's the best vehicle out there in it's $22K-25K price range. With the revised instrument cluster, it looks and feels more elegant. The 02-03 cluster made it look like the old S-series. That's gone, thankfully!

The power of this thing is really fast, but quite tame if you don't want it rocket from every stop light. Gas mileage is been between 20-22 with lots of idling lately. We opted for the FWD over the AWD which makes gas mileage better and a bit faster overall. I've yet to perform a WOT yet as I want to take it easy on this thing for a while longer. The leather seats are worth the extra $$ as they're more comfortable than the cloth ones.

Goto SaturnFans, I started this thread: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=27671

GM has a good thing going with this setup. I hope they don't screw this one up.

Thanks for all the replies! I forgot to mention that I'd like to go 1 year with the OCI (about 15,000 miles) and change the filter every 6 months. 70% of the trips this vehicle sees are 10 miles or more.

My plan is to use Pennzoil 5w-20 until 5K, then use Amsoil from 5K-10K, perform a UOA, then do yearly drains from there. With this engine being so easy on oil, I problably don't need a UOA so soon, but better safe than sorry!

I'll go with the 0w-30, sounds like really good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back