Amsoil 0w-30 ~~~ 2006 LS4 v8 Grand Prix GXP ~~~ 10,000mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had the performance of an LSX engine in a GP, I wouldn't be worried about oil consumption.....LOL!

Originally Posted By: Unleashedbeast
The oil consumption of a LSx motor is caused by oil being sucked into the PCV system and injected back into the intake manifold.

DING DING we have a winner! These engines don't actually consume oil from an engine issue, it is the PCV system sucking the oil into the intake. It seems to be an issue with the PCV system on the LSX engines in the cars and not the trucks because my 99 SS Camaro I just sold would burn through a quart every 3K but our 07 6.0 uses absolutely no oil at all in 7K and my 07 5.3 Yukon uses absolutely no oil either. If the OP wants to stop the oil burning he could install a catch can.

A quart per 4,000 miles? There are Audi owners that can only dream of doing that well on oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro
Originally Posted By: Unleashedbeast
The oil consumption of a LSx motor is caused by oil being sucked into the PCV system and injected back into the intake manifold.

DING DING we have a winner!

lol, my 1999 Trans Am introduced me to the poorly designed PCV system in the earlier LS1 engines. The LS6 engine tried to correct the problem with an updated and improved valley cover. It slowed down the problem, but didn't stop oil from being sucked into the intake from the PCV system. I would lose from 1/2 to 3/4 a Qt every 4-5K miles.

My 4.6L modular in the Mustang has similar issues. I had to add an oil separator to eliminate oil getting back into the intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back