Amsoil 0W-20, 5K/1yr Severe Service CRV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my analysis results for a 2006 CR-V:
Miles on Oil: 5,108 (1 year)
Miles on Engine: 30,669
Makeup Oil Added: 0 Qt

My note: Changed this oil due to the time limit of 1 year, not mileage. When we did drive this vehicle, it was severe service -daily cold starts,
ALUMINUM 4
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 11
COPPER 2
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLY 6
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 1
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 2
BORON 15
SILICON 19
SODIUM 6
CALCIUM 2837
MAGNESIUM 10
PHOSPHORUS 573
ZINC 634
BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 56.4 (46-59)
cST Viscosity @ 100C 9.19 (6.0-10.2)
Flashpoint in °F 385 (>385)
Fuel % TR ( Antifreeze % 0
Water % 0
Insolubles % 0.6 ( TBN 1.5

Blackstone Comments: Only a trace of fuel was present here, and as you can see this is well below our problem level of 2.0%. The viscosity is still good for 0W/20 oil. Wear metals look good too. Averages are based on 6400 miles on the oil. You've gone 5100 miles and you could go longer, if you wanted. Silicon is high here too, so we're fairly sure Amsoil's using some in their virgin oil. Send in a sample of this oil & we'll run it no charge to see what's in it. The TBN read 1.5, low but still active additive left. 1.0 or below is too low, in our book. This CRV looks good.

Looks great. Oil did it's job. Definitely drain it though. It's done. This is a great example of where you wouldn't want to be using Redline. IMO.

I definitely did drain it. They really aren't horsing around with that 1-year limit, it made sense in this case.

By the way I should also say my wife mailed out the samples 3 days ago! Way to go Blackstone!

Why are you even driving less than a mile? I'd buy some warm boots, a backpack and just walk (seriously).

This analysis looks about like expected, in fact I'm surprised the FP isn't lower. I'd recommend using the Amsoil Engine Flush every 50k miles with this type of driving as part of your normal maintenance program. It will remove the softer sludge/gum deposits that can form - regardless of how often you change oil under these conditions.

I'm delighted with the cumulative UOA data on the Amsoil 0w-20 - it performs exceptionally well under the full spectrum of driving conditions. This type of service is about as far as you can get from the duty cycle that Buster generates with his daily very high speed, long distance commute.

Pablo,

Man do y'all get up early on the Left Coast!

Yeah, this is about the toughest service imaginable. I doubt this oil is even getting hot enough for the ZDDP to be very effective. This is pure basestock performance ....

Originally Posted By: TeeDub
Why are you even driving less than a mile? I'd buy some warm boots, a backpack and just walk (seriously).

This analysis looks about like expected, in fact I'm surprised the FP isn't lower. I'd recommend using the Amsoil Engine Flush every 50k miles with this type of driving as part of your normal maintenance program. It will remove the softer sludge/gum deposits that can form - regardless of how often you change oil under these conditions.

I'm delighted with the cumulative UOA data on the Amsoil 0w-20 - it performs exceptionally well under the full spectrum of driving conditions. This type of service is about as far as you can get from the duty cycle that Buster generates with his daily very high speed, long distance commute.

If anybody wants to start their day getting pistol-whipped by minus 20 wind chills while walking to work in the dark, they can be my guest. I got enough exercise 'shoveling out' about every 3rd day last winter!

Now I take the commuter train, which is actually pretty nice.

Originally Posted By: Matt89

If anybody wants to start their day getting pistol-whipped by minus 20 wind chills while walking to work in the dark, they can be my guest. I got enough exercise 'shoveling out' about every 3rd day last winter!

OK OK I get the picture. Brrr....I could feel it!! I'd be hooked up with an engine prewarming "system".

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Matt89

OK OK I get the picture. Brrr....I could feel it!! I'd be hooked up with an engine prewarming "system".

FORTUNATELY I had a garage...and even though it was marginally above freezing out there (or even a little below when it was really bad out) it felt tropical!

This analysis really is the poster child for the 1-year 'safety limit'.

How about a comparison with Mobil 1 EP 5w20?
grin2.gif

Nice report. I'm planning on going with Amsoil 0W20 in my wife's 2007 Prius for a 1 year OCI as we put ~11,000 miles a year on it. It's good to see all these good reports on the oil doing what it says it can do.

Rumple

Matt,

Does your CRV have the maintenance minder? If so what's the percent oil life remaining?

My '07 CRV gets about 7500 miles a year and reads around 30 to 40% oil life in that one year period. I ignore it and change out with Pennz YB spring & fall. After seeing your TBN I'm glad I do.

I'm in the high altitude region of west Wyoming and have seen sub zero here in September. And thats not counting the wind chill.

Originally Posted By: Boomer01
Matt,

Does your CRV have the maintenance minder? If so what's the percent oil life remaining?

My '07 CRV gets about 7500 miles a year and reads around 30 to 40% oil life in that one year period. I ignore it and change out with Pennz YB spring & fall. After seeing your TBN I'm glad I do.

I'm in the high altitude region of west Wyoming and have seen sub zero here in September. And thats not counting the wind chill.

Boomer -

No, it just has one of the old school idiot lights that comes on every 10K. I think 2007 was the first year they brought in the Maintenance Minder.

Buster -

As for the Mobil1 EP, maybe after this year long run I'll consider doing a test - both would be under the same conditions in VA. So if I do it, expect results sometime in late 2010!

Buster,

I suspect you'd see a significant amount of corrosive/chemical wear (high Fe), with Mobil 1 under these type of very cold weather, short trip driving conditions. I find it interesting that no one is volunteering their own vehicle for this test.

ts

Probably true. I have not seen any remarkable M1 EP UOA's beyond 12k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back