Amsoil 0W-20, 18,502 miles (364 days), 3.5L Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, on 07-28-08 I added a can of Amsoil Engine Flush to the old Mobil 1 I had in my 2003 Odyssey (with 66,267 miles) ran it for 30 minutes and drained it hot (as the instructions indicated). I then replaced the oil with Amsoil 0W-20 and installed an EaO13 oil filter on it. I decided that I'd see if Amsoil's recomendation of a 1-year/25K miles change interval would work for me. I was guessing that I'd have less than the 25K....so I assumed it would turn into a 1 year change interval.

So on 07-27-09 I changed the Amsoil and replaced it again with the 0W-20 and an EaO13 filter back on it. The odometer was 84,778 miles. I had added about 1 quart of "makeup" oil to it over the course of the year.

Based on feedback here, I was lead to believe that I'd have really lousy results. Well, here they are. You guys tell me what you think.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=516600

Last edited:
Could you possibly repost your results here? Because it won't let me view them unless I register on that site.

Can't see UOA. You have to log into the page to see it....

Typing the results out here would work much better....

Looking forward to seeing this UOA!

2003 Honda Odyssey EX
3.5L 6-cyl VTEC

Fuel Efficiency 20.0 mpg (over last 45K miles)

Oil Amsoil 0W-20
Oil Filter Amsoil EaO13
Air Filter K&N Drop-in

Miles on Oil 18,502
Miles on Unit 84,778
Time on Oil 12 months (364 days)
Sample Date 07/27/09
Make Up Oil Added 1 qts

First column = this sample....second number is universal average...

----------------------Universal Averages
Aluminum 13 ------ 4
Chromium 2 ------ 1
Iron 24 ------ 12
Copper 12 ------ 24
Lead 1 ------ 1
Tin 2 ------ 0
Molbdenum 11 ------ 78
Nickel 0 ------ 0
Manganese 1 ------ 1
Silver 0 ------ 0
Titanium 0 ------ 0
Potassium 4 ------ 1
Boron 11 ------ 44
Silicon 12 ------ 12
Sodium 8 ------ 23
Calcium 3279 ------ 2178
Magnesium 11 ------ 38
Phosphorus 663 ------ 649
Zinc 865 ------ 793
Barium 0 ------ 0
---------------------------- Should Be
SUS Viscosity@210F 58.8 ------ 46-59
cSt Viscosity@100C 9.89 ------ 6.0-10.2
Flashpoint in F 400 ------ >385
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0.0 ------ 0.0
Water % 0.0 ------ Insolubles % 0.4 ------ TBN 2.2

Blackstone's Comments: Is this a brand new engine in your 2003 Honda? If so, the high aluminum and iron would be from pistons and steel parts breaking-in. However, we usually find high silicon, from lubes and sealers used when the engine was built, but that element was normal. If this oil really does have 18K miles on it, we are impressed with these numbers. Universal averages show normal wear for the 3.5L after 6,000 miles oil use. The TBN was 2.2 showing some active additive left. We consider a TBN of 1.0 to be too low. Try 18K miles again. Hopefully metals with drop.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Your results look fine. 24 ppm of Fe is simply not high for 18+K and TBN of 2.2 from B/S seems reasonable. Viscosity is near perfect and insolubles low.
Yes, but is the iron count too high in general for the motor?

Viscosities seem to be at the higher end of the scale.....is that a problem?

Viscosity starts at 9.0. 9.89 at 18.5K miles is excellent.

The Fe is not high at all for the miles in this engine. Especially considering you did the solvent flush and this is your first Amsoil extended run. I'm thinking they will be in the teens next run. And that's the thing - the trend is what it's all about, not a single snapshot.

EDIT for those not on Ody club:

Originally Posted By: Pablo
This engine not that easy on oil, and an Ody is not a super light vehicle. Something like 13 ppm of Al in an Al block engine after being in there a full year, is really nothing.

Last edited:
I know it's for 18k miles, but Aluminum seems a wee bit high.

Insols. and TBN seem to suggest this oil would probably make 20-21k, unless more top-up oil was added and a filter change done.

Still, pretty darn good results.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I know it's for 18k miles, but Aluminum seems a wee bit high.

Insols. and TBN seem to suggest this oil would probably make 20-21k, unless more top-up oil was added and a filter change done.

Still, pretty darn good results.

Yeah, a wee bit compared to mine, but need to look at history and clean up and such.

Our Ody: Three UOA's

The ASM thickened slightly as it usually does-not bad for an oci of this length and not enough to bother me. I wouldn't change a thing! I love this oil and it continues to impress me! I'd stick with it!

REDDOG

Looks nice.

But once again we seem to have a claimed Long OCI oil that looks like it will not hold out to the stated mileage.

**Unless running the TBN to zero does not really hurt anything.

This is a great report. All but the Al, which probably has little to do with the oil. Fe is excellent for the mileage. Very low. How is 24 ppm over 18k high? Viscosity is also perfect. ASM is 9.0 cSt.

This is a very nice report!
24 ppm Fe is low indeed!
Universal Average is 12 ppm of FE @ 6k miles!

What's the driving habit? mostly highway?
Maybe try 20k next time!

IMO the companies performing the UOA never really look at the PPM/1000 miles as indicator, they just look at the totals regardless of the miles on the oil. So, IMO the iron etc, are reasonable considering the miles driven. If it were 3000 miles, a different story, but 18,000, very good.

Originally Posted By: Spector
IMO the companies performing the UOA never really look at the PPM/1000 miles as indicator, they just look at the totals regardless of the miles on the oil. So, IMO the iron etc, are reasonable considering the miles driven. If it were 3000 miles, a different story, but 18,000, very good.
I really know very little about this, so I have to trust what others are saying. However, it would seem to me that regardless of mileage on oil, there comes a point in time when metal saturation is just detrimental to the engine (i.e. scarring). I mean, who really cares if I had 100,000 miles on the oil but the metal concentration is high enough to cause abrasions to the piston sleaves, bearings, etc? So, at what concentrations does this start to happen?

To answer the above question about type of miles driven....it's kind of hard to tell. We travel on lots of shorter trips (i.e. about 60-90 miles one way). There was one major trip out to western Ontario (~1,600 miles one way) that we did when it was like -24 deg-F (burrrrrrrrrr). Other than that...it's mostly suburban type driving here in Central PA. It is very hilly around here.

Last edited:
Very impressive results! If you continue with this oil and once a year changes I am confident this engine would last an extremely long time. I am willing to bet a lot of those wear numbers will be lower on next year's UOA as well, probably 10-20% better.

That engine is in good condition too, only 1qt needed in 18k is pretty good!

I've always been the type of guy who is much more concerned about the "inside" vs. the "outside". No polished white empty sepulchre’s here. So, thank you.

Great results, especially because it was immediately after an engine flush. Your iron numbers are low per mile, and it's no surprise that they're at that level a year and 18k+ miles later.

I subscribe to the belief that iron is not likely a major cause of engine wear. Iron is either formed by oxidation from surfaces or abrasion, therefore are unlikely to be big chunks that can do much harm. Also, they aren't as hard as silicon particles ingested through the air intake. Your silicon levels are quite low for your mileage, which means that it's not hurting you with the extended OCIs.

As far as the TBN not holding up to 25K miles - personally i think if you did more highway driving you'd have no problem. But if you have a fair number of cold starts, you might want to stay with less than 20K.

Good report. Oil held up pretty well.

I have ASM 0W20 in my corolla, Nov 1st will be a year for me, gonna dump it and sample. Maybe will have over 5K miles if I am lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back