Amsoil 0W-20, 18,502 miles (364 days), 3.5L Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Looks nice.

But once again we seem to have a claimed Long OCI oil that looks like it will not hold out to the stated mileage.

**Unless running the TBN to zero does not really hurt anything.

The "claimed milage" is 15 or 25k depending on driving conditions OR 1 year which this oil was.

Herrhaus,

The iron level in this sample is no where near any published condemnation limits I have seen which for gassers tend to be 75-100 ppm and up to 150 ppm for diesels. Like many have said this is a great report!

For a 12 month 18K mile OCI I would say you are doing fine. I would not try to push it any further but 18K or 12 months seems to be ok.I would keep doing this or switch to Amsoil S3K 5W30 but either way I think Amsoil and it's oil filter did fine. I think the drop in K&N did fine too. They normally perform better then the cone type used on cold air kits. I think it is the reduced vibration from being in a well designed supportive house as opposed to just bouncing around under the hood.

So your UOA looks fine anyone that says other wise just does not have a clue what a 12 months 18K OCI should look like yours if just fine!

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Looks nice.

But once again we seem to have a claimed Long OCI oil that looks like it will not hold out to the stated mileage.

**Unless running the TBN to zero does not really hurt anything.

What do you mean? He ran 1 year in a 4 season climate. You can figure if the mileage were 25 that he wouldn't be in too much of a different situation with TBN. He'd have the same instances of higher TBN depleting usage and more of the TBN (more so) innocuous usage.

If you want less iron in the oil;you run shorter ocis. I'd use an oem AF next time in lieu of the K & N.

Well, given the results, I guess I'll just continue to use the K&N filter in the mean time. It doesn't seem to be hurting anything. No sense in throwing $$$ at it when it doesn't seem to need it.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

What do you mean? He ran 1 year in a 4 season climate. You can figure if the mileage were 25 that he wouldn't be in too much of a different situation with TBN. He'd have the same instances of higher TBN depleting usage and more of the TBN (more so) innocuous usage.

I would have expected close to a 4 or 5 for TBN for it to make another 7,000 miles. But the wear numbers are very good.

But remember, TBN drop is not linear. You're making conclusions about distance in a UOA reflective of a time-dominant scenario. I have no doubt that this oil can go the full distance in a shorter time interval. Additionally, even if the OP had chosen to run the oil out to 25k, at his pace, I doubt the TBN would have bottomed out. And even if it had, I doubt much, if any harm would be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back