AMS SSO 8350mi 01 RAV4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say this held up pretty good considering how the g/f drives. mixed city /hiway w/250 mi round trips on the weekend.
will see how the next run of SSO goes. lead seems to be high compared to last few runs on 5 and 10/30 AMS.
thoughts,ideas,comments..............
RAVoil7109.jpg

Silicon and insoluables are relatively high for the miles, and that is most likely elevating bearing wear - might want to check you air filter and tubing for leaks.

Some fuel as well - flash is somewhat low. All this combined together wrecked the TBN....

Really surprised by the TBN drop. This stuff lasts in a lot of applications. It and the Amsoil 0W20 are usually the rock stars of their line up for hanging in there. Do check your air filtration though no need to feed your Rav dirt. Do you use any fuel additives?

no fuel adds and I'll check the AF over the weekend.
this engine beats the snot out of what ever I put in it.
going to go to some thing else after this load of SSO is done.
looking PP or Castrol

Our 05 Rav4 loved the QuakerState Red bottle after it became sloppy. I think its the best oil they sell! Smooth, quiet, clean. (QSHM) Do not fear it! Dont like BP Castrol.

Last edited:
Try M1 0w40 10w30HM/TS/EP, or Amsoil ACD.

Should be able to squeeze out a 10k OCI by simply using an over sized oil filter if there is room.

Any oil consumption?

I was thinking 8300miles of NYC assaulted the oil. Driving through that city makes me pity power trains.

I must be weird. I look at the posters 'location' prior to looking at the UOA. 2.0+rav4 isn't a good combination either. Too much vehicle for that engine, especially if automatic/AC are considered.

Good catch.

How's the fuel economy on this beast? What I'm asking is how much REAL usage does the motor see? If this is averaging 18mpg ..and it's supposed to be in the upper 20's, then you're not really seeing 8300 miles.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
I was thinking 8300miles of NYC assaulted the oil. Driving through that city makes me pity power trains.

I must be weird. I look at the posters 'location' prior to looking at the UOA. 2.0+rav4 isn't a good combination either. Too much vehicle for that engine, especially if automatic/AC are considered.

Yes that truly defines Severe Service. I had worked in Long Island City and had to make that commute 5 days a week during rush hour from Nassau County. It sucked, going into NYC is even worse. That and living on Long Island puts me into the Severe Service category.

I always look at where members who run extended drains live. I won't single out any areas or members in particular, but trust me they'd never run those intervals here. Living in NY, I also take the oil mfg claims for extended drain intervals with a grain of salt. My bet is they're based on some kind of national average vs a regional average.

I had to come back to this have you tried a quality dino oil for 5,000 miles to compare if there is a cost advantage to running syn oils? I still think you should try 10,000 miles as the numbers aren't really bad as an trend and the engine will probably outlast the ownership of the car with out as many oil changes.

Some engines don't allow for ultra long extended drain intervals. This is why not doing a UOA or not following your owner's manual can be dangerous.

Originally Posted By: buster
Some engines don't allow for ultra long extended drain intervals. This is why not doing a UOA or not following your owner's manual can be dangerous.

Which is why I take any of these extended drain oils claims with a grain of salt. Only way to know for certain how long an extended drain oil will work in your engine is with a UOA. Oil producers claims are tools to sell oil. I'm not knocking extended drain oils, but I'm always a little suspect, especially with the use my vehicles see. Another + for a UOA if you plan on following oil mfg's extended OCI claims.

ok, here is the run down to multiple ?'s put forth.......
first I made a mistake on the yr of the RAV4 its a '00.
auto w/AC. driven to/from work 10 mi each way 1 on the street the rest highway. weekend to/from house 125 each way,65 Interstate the rest secondary roads. speeds vary from 35 to 65. that about wraps up the "daily" driving, plus any other trips to the stores etc......
can't comment on mileage she doesn't keep track as hard as I've tried to get some solid #'s out of it. only puts in gas when its needed and does not fill the tank. one of those $10 here $15 there, you get the idea. I occasionally put FP+ in the tank when it get filled and I'm w/her.
it does use a little oil,this run was about 3/4 Qt down. I know ,I know, keep it filled. capacity is 4.25-4.5 w/filter.
as for other oils, I a considered HDD on numerous occasions just might have to give it a whirl.
some side notes.....
prior to my getting involved w/RAV it had 3K changes. it was ARx'ed I think 2 yrs ago under the old 1500/2000 mi method. I was thinking of doing an AMS oil flush come the spring, not too keen on doing it in the winter since it seem like changes are 6 mo apart.
the universal averages are base roughly on a 4200 oci according to the first report,just some food for thought.
I think that about covers it.
harpoons away...............

just checked pricing on the ACD and HDD.looks like the ACD would be the best bang for the buck and I cold use i in all 3 vehicles. Moms new RAV goes to dealer for now.
oh also will EAO10 will fit the Toy. have to find the longer filter # for it I know I had it somewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back