Amount of fluid neede for pan gasket change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all! Tomorrow a buddy of mine and I are changing the transmission pan gasket on my 01 Ford Ranger, automatic, 4.0, 4x4. The truck has the 5r55e transmission and I'm wondering how much fluid dropping the pan will lose. It's a 10.3 quart system, so how much fluid should I have on hand? As always, thanks for any help!

Last edited:
I just had mine done and the shop charged me for 5 qts. I didn't question the amount but wouldnt' be surprised if they didn't beef the bill up a bit.

I have the 5R55E in my Ranger.

Last time I did a Drain/Fill, it took 3 quarts.

Suggestion:
Install a 'Drain Plug' to pan.

Last time I had the Pan off, my nephew welded a 'Hex Nut' to outside of pan
I then drilled thru the Pan and installed a (magnetic) Drain Plug.

Once a year, I drain the Trans. fluid into a graduated container and pour exact same amount back in.

Edit: although my Ranger is 2x4, I installed a 4x4 Pan.
It has a deeper Pan and offers the best place for a Drain Plug.
Note: I have to make sure to use 4x4 Filter in Pan.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PW01
Hello all! Tomorrow a buddy of mine and I are changing the transmission pan gasket on my 01 Ford Ranger, automatic, 4.0, 4x4. The truck has the 5r55e transmission and I'm wondering how much fluid dropping the pan will lose. It's a 10.3 quart system, so how much fluid should I have on hand? As always, thanks for any help!

The Amsoil website will list quantities for any vehicle for all basic fluids.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: PW01

The Amsoil website will list quantities for any vehicle for all basic fluids.

I would take that number and add another 2 quarts, to be safe. Especially if you tend to work late at night or on Sundays when most stores are closed.

Plan to have that amount on hand. Depending on how long you let it drain, the amount may increase. Or if you do cold versus hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back