Ammo Shortage News Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed, Sir. That is what I believe.
Ironic, don’t you think, that you characterized DNewton3‘s post, a fact-based post on market forces, as “tin foil hat” while you post vague innuendo of conspiracy theories to explain this shortage.

Everything I said in my first post in this thread remains true. I’d encourage you to go take a look.

It’s clear now, that across a multitude of industries and commodities, the pandemic disrupted supply, production, distribution and demand, pushing some markets (like ammo) to record shortages while gluts were created in others. Those disruptive factors have not yet resolved, not by a long shot, and the ammo supply backlog is still enormous.

There are some signs of hope. I’ve seen some prices (e.g. IMI M193 55g 5.56) begin to come down from their peaks, but those prices are still more than double what they were in 2019. We will be living with higher prices, and bare shelves, for a while yet.

There really is no shortage of firearms. I have bought 5 in the last year. All extremely popular ones. Glock19, 43X, 44 sig p365, TX-22.

Now I will say this......the Tin Hatters caused high prices on ammo and this eventually caused a depression of gun demand. Why buy a firearm when ammo is unaffordable.

What I find interesting is people seem to never stop buying. I know it is a consumable product but the bare shelves are amazing.

Last edited:
Al - you keep blaming hoarders (now relabeled as tin hatters) for the shortage and pricing, but it is far more than just simple hoarding. Supply chain interruptions, and spikes in demand, caused this ammo shortage.

The spikes in demand came from far more than hoarders, or the market would’ve recovered by now. New shooters, hoarders, panic buying, increased orders from all sorts of buyers all contributed to a huge spike, right when the pandemic had shut down production.

Double whammy. And we’re not getting out of it soon.

Its easy to point a finger a folks you don’t like (hoarders) but they are simply one, modest, factor in a complex problem. They weren’t even the first to strip the shelves. New gun buyers (several million last year alone) and other purchasers drove up demand - ironically creating a market in which hoarding took place.

Nobody hoards stuff when it’s cheap and available.

Some are new gun owners after watching some crazy stuff that authorities could/would not control …

I have purchased only 3 boxes at elevated prices … they were not even typical brands … but at least that helps preserve the “good stuff” for standby mode …

Such a fine line between “thoughtfully seeking a bargain” and “outright hoarding”…

Almost very gun owner I know buys ammo when he/she doesn't need it. (If you see it buyh it) I am very active in my gun club of 1000+ members. I am sure I see a bit more than you. Or maybe PA. is different than other parts of the country. Thats probably it. :)

This isn't going to last as long as the doom and gloom types say. The comparison to Chlorox, sanitary wipes, paper towels, TP, hand sanitizer all belie their claims. All of those items were in high demand March-May 2020. By August/September you could buy as much as you wanted. Now those items are almost clearance rack merchandise. Popular ammo calibers are becoming more and more available. I get emails everyday from several online sites. Prices and brand selection are more limited....but they have it and are getting more which will drive price and demand down...in fairly short order too.....weeks, not months.

Providing an explanation assumes I agree that this global shortage of everything myth exists. It does not. The example of Ford pickups sitting in depots in need of chips, I believe is real...so folks can go buy a Ram. I see lots of new pickups on the road. One manufacturer makes an error in supply risk management does not equate to a doomsday event. I'm not denying the fact that there were shortages of many things as a result of covid, but most areas of manufacturer and supply chain have either recovered completely or are well on their way.
Yep. Ammo factories are running 24/7 365 - at least the big ones I've been to in past several months are. Shortages of materials are not an issue with ammo.

Prices are coming down at least on 5.56. I got an Email that Winchester Lake City 62 grain Green Tip SS109 are down to .75 a round when bought in bulk, of 1,000. They say a price cut of $150.

20 round boxes of Lake City 5.56 55 grain 109s or Winchester .223 are down to15.89 or .795 per round.

Still too high but they're moving in the right direction.

Just was checking one of my favorite websites for reloading supplies. They are starting to get powder in and the prices aren't that bad considering. 4064 1 lb $26. Looks like in a few months the horders who were planning on making a killing reselling their stock are going to be out of luck if they wait any longer.

Just was checking one of my favorite websites for reloading supplies. They are starting to get powder in and the prices aren't that bad considering. 4064 1 lb $26. Looks like in a few months the horders who were planning on making a killing reselling their stock are going to be out of luck if they wait any longer.
Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch. But as stated, this ammo shortage is beyond its shelf life and is winding down quickly. It will take a bit before prices drop to sane levels but that too is around the corner.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Everything is becoming more expensive, and I highly doubt ammo is going to go back down to the prices it was 1-2 years ago.

Wait and see. No way you're gonna find ammo again as cheap as it was. Let me know when you find .22 LR for 3-4 cents a pop or 9 mm for 18 cents a pop.

I just looked and I literally bough boxes of this same exact ammo for $8.99 (box of 50) in Jan 2020.

This is the price right now. You'll never see $8.99 again ... if so, better buy every box you can find. :D

CCI 9mm Blazer Brass.png

Last edited:
Im seeing 9mm @ .43/round and steel case Russian .223 @ .58/ round....both available in case lots of 1000.
1. It's readily available NOW
2. It's a price drop of close to 50% from 2 months ago

$12-$15/ box...maybe less, of 9mm by September...bet on it.

.223/5.56, .308, and 50 BMG are dropping fast. 9mm and all popular handgun calibers are still outrageous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back