Ammo Shortage News Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told primers are hard to get too?
I wouldn't get into reloading right now. The past 16 months have been a terrible time for reloading components. Small pistol and small rifle primers are going for 200+ a brick (1000 primers) on sites where you can get them. All of the smaller reloading stores (Everglades ammo) aren't listing any inventory on their website but are selling everything on gunbroker at inflated prices.

If you do decide to get into reloading, don't approach it like you're going to save money.

This isn't going to last as long as the doom and gloom types say. The comparison to Chlorox, sanitary wipes, paper towels, TP, hand sanitizer all belie their claims. All of those items were in high demand March-May 2020. By August/September you could buy as much as you wanted. Now those items are almost clearance rack merchandise. Popular ammo calibers are becoming more and more available. I get emails everyday from several online sites. Prices and brand selection are more limited....but they have it and are getting more which will drive price and demand down...in fairly short order too.....weeks, not months.
Vista Outdoors owns everything but Winchester/Olin in the domestic ammo production category. When they bought Remington, they shut down the primer production line. Vista owns CCI and Federal as well. Sooo 3/4ths of domestic primer production is controlled by 1 company. There are many companies making ammo in the US, but they don't make their own primers, they come mostly from CCI.

Black Rock is the controlling shareholder of Vista Outdoors. Ammo prices will never be pre-C19 prices until another manufacturer starts making primers.

According to the latest issue of Rifleman, the Remington ammunition plant in Lonoke Ar. is now producing ammunition 24/7 under the umbrella of the Vista Outdoor/Federal group.

"The ongoing ammunition shortage of the past year was exacerbated by the closure of the Remington Outdoor Company (ROC) in Lonoke Ark, facility - one of the largest ammunition production facilities in the country, following the company's 2020 bankruptcy...Vista Outdoor, the parent company of Federal Ammunition, purchased the Arkansas facility (as well as most of Remington's trademarks) last year as part of the ROC's bankruptcy proceedings..."

See the Video "Where's the Ammo?
remington.com

Last edited:
According to the latest issue of Rifleman, the Remington ammunition plant in Lonoke Ar. is now producing ammunition 24/7 under the umbrella of the Vista Outdoor/Federal group.

"The ongoing ammunition shortage of the past year was exacerbated by the closure of the Remington Outdoor Company (ROC) in Lonoke Ark, facility - one of the largest ammunition production facilities in the country, following the company's 2020 bankruptcy...Vista Outdoor, the parent company of Federal Ammunition, purchased the Arkansas facility (as well as most of Remington's trademarks) last year as part of the ROC's bankruptcy proceedings..."

See the Video "Where's the Ammo?
remington.com
Good to hear.

Starting to see some prices coming down.

E.G. IMI M193 55g 5.56 for .60/round. Available. Down from over $1.00.

Still nearly double what I paid a couple years ago, but the trend is encouraging.

This isn't the first or last ammo shortage, the first or last time desirable firearms are hard to find, the first or last time prices are gouged, the first or last time all you have to do is wait it out until it swings in the other direction. You didn't think those $9/box of 9mm and $399 ARs was going to last forever. I do believe manufacturers in many industries at this point are using the pandemic as an excuse. I also noticed law enforcement and gangstas never seem to run into shortages.

Yesterday I checked for ammo at the local Sportsman's Warehouse and the local sporting goods store.

Sportsman's Warehouse was stocked better than recently, but still lacked some items. They had plenty of 5.56, 223 and 7.62x39. They had a pretty good variety of pistol calibers. Except for several boxes of fmj 9mm that they were holding behind the counter for gun buyers, the only 9mm was several varieties of personal defense ammo. And they had a real good selection of most other rifle calibers.

The local sporting goods store was loaded with ammo. About the only thing that I couldn't find was .22 LR. They had 9mm fmj in at least 3 different varieties. .223, 5.56, and 7.62x39 were also stocked in a few different varieties. Plenty of 10mm, 40, 357, 45, and even 380. All kinds of rifle ammo. And even a couple varieties of .22 short.

Judging from what I saw, it felt that ammo availability is getting better. Then I came home and read an article that said the ammo shortage if far from over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back