America's Favorite Luxury Passenger Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is a Ford F-Series pickup, apparently.
56.gif

Quote:
...Ford F-Series pickup sales in the US totaled 77,007 units for August, a 15.0% gain…

...Demand remains strong for high trim-level Super Duty trucks, with Lariat, King Ranch and Platinum accounting for 53% of retail sales last month. This, together with demand for Raptor, translates into a $3,400 gain in F-Series average transaction pricing versus 2016—now $45,600 per vehicle reported…

...Ford sales of cars in August dropped 8.6% year-on-year; year-to-date sales of cars are down 18.9% compared to 2016...

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/09/20170904-ford.html

At work I saw an invoice for an F-250 that msrp was $64,000. That's ridiculous for nothing but a 3/4 ton pickup. Suppose it was the dressed out Royal Rooster or whatever, and sure no one pays that with incentives and inflated trade-in values blah blah blah, but that is still stupid for a 3/4 ton p/u with a bed featuring less volume capacity than my dad's std cab trucks from the 70's and 80's.

I know... p/u's are the New Status Symbols like a Caddy or Lincoln was back in the day. That's the image Detroit has nurtured and lining their pockets with. Oh, I think it's good for the American economy and all, just think it's outrageous for pickups to sticker that high.

This is one reason people don't have retirement savings. Think of the monthly payments. The add the huge cable TV bills many people have, the fee for rental storage units, etc and you can see the money floating out the window. OK to spend it if you have everything else covered but it seems people have forgotten how to live within their means. Or , better yet, below their means and save the difference.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
This is one reason people don't have retirement savings. Think of the monthly payments. The add the huge cable TV bills many people have, the fee for rental storage units, etc and you can see the money floating out the window. OK to spend it if you have everything else covered but it seems people have forgotten how to live within their means. Or , better yet, below their means and save the difference.

Yep. Lease...er.... I mean.... Rent It... for a few yrs, then Give It Back. Lather, rinse, repeat. Enjoy the yoke of perpetual payments.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
At work I saw an invoice for an F-250 that msrp was $64,000. That's ridiculous for nothing but a 3/4 ton pickup. Suppose it was the dressed out Royal Rooster or whatever, and sure no one pays that with incentives and inflated trade-in values blah blah blah, but that is still stupid for a 3/4 ton p/u with a bed featuring less volume capacity than my dad's std cab trucks from the 70's and 80's.

I know... p/u's are the New Status Symbols like a Caddy or Lincoln was back in the day. That's the image Detroit has nurtured and lining their pockets with. Oh, I think it's good for the American economy and all, just think it's outrageous for pickups to sticker that high.

Totally agree ... 64k is crazy to pay for a new truck, but some people NEED all the bells and whistles and bragging rights I guess.

You can get a decently equipped F350 for upper 30s/low 40s. That's gas...the diesel engine adds $8k (!)

There's a reason they call many of these trucks 'Cowboy Cadillacs' - They come loaded.. A modern F150 Lariat has leather, heated and cooled seats, nav, moonroof, etc.. and are incredibly comfortable and quiet.

I just had a friend buy a brand new F150. The dealer discounted the truck by a full 25%.

And yes I saw the paperwork.

SO-sticker prices verses transaction prices are two different things.....

Right now-my local Chevrolet dealer has several half-ton trucks discounted 30%. It's right on their website-no haggle needed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
I just had a friend buy a brand new F150. The dealer discounted the truck by a full 25%.

And yes I saw the paperwork.

SO-sticker prices verses transaction prices are two different things.....

Right now-my local Chevrolet dealer has several half-ton trucks discounted 30%. It's right on their website-no haggle needed.

SLC has some of the best truck prices in the West.
My brother flew in from WA. to drive home his 3500 Ram 6.7.

Originally Posted By: Neely97
Most pay cash .

Not around here. Most lease or do the aforementioned 72 or 84 months. Might depend on the regional demographics.

Most pay cash .

Not around here. Most lease or do the aforementioned 72 or 84 months. Might depend on the regional demographics.

I see a lot of young kids driving around these things.

Most pay cash .

Either could be the case. I knew a few ranchers up in Montana that would get a new maxed out truck every three years and write them off on taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back