Americana

What are your favorite reminders of Americana? What reminds you of the olden days or historic USA? Mine are: Redman Chew Topps Baseball Cards Barbicide Containers Buck Knives (Sadly made in China now) Revolvers Musk Cologne/Aftershave 60s-70s MOPAR Cars 60s Rock N Roll Jukeboxes Neon Signage anndddd most importantly of all.... 101 WILD TURKEY!

When I use to travel for work, I always got a kick out of finding a ketchup bottle with the familiar Heinz keystone shaped label on it. A little reminder of home.

The obvious: Coca-Cola in a proper returnable green Coke bottle. I can't get over how the most recognizable and best liked trademark in the world was just discarded like that.

The new Mustang's and Camaro's are very much a reminder of American Muscle. To me, that is a strong representation of Americana. To me, Americana is very much alive. Just see all the flags flown daily on my block ( Including my house of course )

The south. Many people think of the south and think racists and ignorant twats. Its not always the cause but sadly people think of it. I mainly like New Orleans and the old French Quarters. Personally I think the south is the heartland of america. Super polite people, always willing to help each other. A few months back I had a flat and before I could even get the jack out of my car I had 2 different people stop and offer help. I turned them down but thanked them. Iv been up north and you could be in the middle of no where 300 miles from the nearest town and people will not even stop for a moment even if it was -30 degrees. I don't think this or that makes/ symbolize america. I think its the people who come together to help everyone is taken care of and people who help insure others have a good quality of life.

A healthy General Aviation industry that envisioned prolific small airplane ownership affordable by the middle class. Cessna, Piper, Beechcraft, and Mooney cranking out piston singles like hot cakes. Late 1950's through the 60's and into the 70's and early 80's. 30 years of glory. Sky used to be abuzz with them on nice weekends. Not anymore.

Off the top of my head and in no order: P-51 Mustang, M1 Garand, M4 Sherman Tail fins on cars Lucky Strike & Camel cigarettes Carbureted pushrod V8 engines Anything with John Wayne Baseball in summer The cadence of a Harley V-Twin at idle

01rangerxl

Site Donor 2021
Originally Posted By: 3800Series
The south. Many people think of the south and think racists and ignorant twats. Its not always the cause but sadly people think of it. I mainly like New Orleans and the old French Quarters. Personally I think the south is the heartland of america. Super polite people, always willing to help each other. A few months back I had a flat and before I could even get the jack out of my car I had 2 different people stop and offer help. I turned them down but thanked them. Iv been up north and you could be in the middle of no where 300 miles from the nearest town and people will not even stop for a moment even if it was -30 degrees. I don't think this or that makes/ symbolize america. I think its the people who come together to help everyone is taken care of and people who help insure others have a good quality of life.
Hmmm...I would say that is maybe true for parts of the rural south, but definitely not representative of all of it. The urban south tends to be pretty bad. Lots of crime, poverty, corruption, etc. My city is on just about every "worst cities" list there is. People can be downright nasty here, and will kill each other over the stupidest stuff. I think people in rural areas in general tend to be a little more polite, perhaps due to being around fewer other people in a typical day.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Sky used to be abuzz with them on nice weekends. Not anymore.
Weird. Reading news you would think sky is buzzing with drones. LOL, I had to look up what Barbicide was. I thought it was about killing Barbie dolls. I agree with CocaCola. It was a symbol of America for the entire world.

Case knives are made in the USA and are top quality. There are a few websites you can go to to find almost any item made in the usa. I was able to find certain boots (Like Wolverines) still made in the USA. My Blender etc etc

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Iv been up north and you could be in the middle of no where 300 miles from the nearest town and people will not even stop for a moment even if it was -30 degrees. I don't think this or that makes/ symbolize america. I think its the people who come together to help everyone is taken care of and people who help insure others have a good quality of life.
I agree that the people are what make up America. Sadly, I know exactly what you mean about up North and how nobody will stop to help you. People in New England are so unfriendly, to the point where if you are a friendly person they think there is something wrong with you. There are still nice people out there though. I've had people pay for my coffee, or people who let me go in front of them in line since I had fewer items than they did.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
ketchup bottle
Sorry ketchup like half the items that one can purchase at the grocery store is now made with CORN (corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup) And that is NOT Americana CocaCola = battery acid with HFCS. Now Mexican coke is the real coca-cola. The Best Rootbeer is Virgil Rootbeer

I was gonna say the drive-in theater as psoted above. But I'll say drive-in or drive-up anything. Like a hot dog stand! Oh....and football.