American love affair for thin oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: virginoil

5w30 is now a thick oil ?

Penrite Australia is not convinced as they have their +10 philosophy. eg a 5w20 would become a 5w30 Penrite oil.

Penrite Australia claim this provides additional protection.

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/tech_pdfs/1166 THE EXTRA 10.pdf

That concept is old hat and so 1970's. Cars in the US were recommended 10W30 and people would use 10W40 for "better protection" and that didn't work out so well lol. Oils (and engines) today and particularly oils over there are better than before so it's not completely analagous but the simplistic reasoning and adding more vii is.

LOL they recommended running 15W60 or 20W60 synthetic in a 70's (low po carbureted) small block chevy. I could maybe understand a conventional 10W40 or 15W40 but they got to be kidding.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
TFB1 said:
virginoil said:
particularly oils over there are better than before so it's not completely analagous but the simplistic reasoning and adding more vii is.

You just need to convince Penrite.

See above, that'd probably go over about as good as trying to convince someone here to use pricey 20W60 synthetic in their '73 Impala.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
So, is CATERHAM and engine or oil engineer? Is AEHaas? What makes their OPINIONS gospel?

Haven't seen too many pearls of wisdom coming off your keyboard, bucko, so I think the green-eyed monster is talking. Their "opinions" are based on a lot of study and they usually back their "opinions" up with information and references. They also respond well to challenges of their "opinions" so if you don't agree, by all means challenge them on the facts with some of your own.... but you better bring a lunch. That's not to say I always agree with them either but I admire and appreciate the mental effort they put into formulating their "opinions." One liners like yours just don't carry much weight.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Ranchu: I presume you were not being intentionally insulting but it came across that way to me and my annoyance with this whole "one size fits all" argument escaped the boundaries of my good manners. I'm not "sorry" exactly but wish I had written my first sentence differently.

And I presume that you are not intentionally being arrogant and aloof with your circular defence of thin oils in this and other threads.

I've explained previously how bearing design and lubrication are carried out...and Ford are changing their designs to suit the thinner oils, changes which actually increase the drag of the bearings to increase "protection" (lower projected pressures, and smaller radial clearances), but we get back to "if they specify it it must work, and because it works, they specify it, and who are you to have another opinion"...in spite of engineering fundamentals.

Circular defense of thin oils?

My "opinion" has evolved several times over the time I've been on BITOG, as many people's have, but I don't know how you can read my posts in this thread and say that. The gist of what I said above is basically, "As thick as necessary, as thin as possible." Or "As thin as possible, as thick as necessary." Whichever makes you feel better. I said above to Ranchu;

"The problem is you, and many others, want to apply some "one size fits all" filter to an oil viscosity question. It isn't that simple. The range of "what works" is vast, evidenced by the wide range of oil viscosity in use around the world. What is optimal is a question specific to climate, engine design, operational situation and many other factors. I don't know why people have to continue to argue this thick vs thin thing."

and;

"I think viewing this in terms of a "Perspective" is a mistake. Science should dictate the oil choice. Nothing more. I suppose we can argue about the science, but then we must get into deep specifics... the exact engine and the circumstances in what that particular engine is operated. Overall, the presumption must be that, for the most part, the OEM's recommendations are valid, if not optimal, for their product. They have applied the science in detail. We often don't even have the required information to second guess them scientifically."

How exactly am I defending thin oils?

Shannow you claim to have an engineering background. Do you also have the resources to run the same sorts of qualification tests a big company like Ford uses to certify oil? Until you do, I submit that, if you are intellectually honest, you have to give those tests a great deal of credence. If your mind cannot stretch to that degree, in light of the resource differences between your theories and opinions and their testing, who is the arrogant one?

I have seen bits and pieces of information from the days in the '90s when Ford was qualifying 5W20 oil. It must have cost millions. Wish I knew more but I do have a pretty large file on the qualification testing done for one small part, a small inline filter that cost Ford about $10 and was used only on reman transmissions. That file is an eighth-inch thick. I'll guess Ford spent $30K to qualify that one small part. This give me some perspective on whether to trust them (not implicitly but sufficiently) on other things.

Given how long Ford has been using light oils and how many millions of engines are running on it, and that we haven't seen a rash of prematurely dead Ford engines, those qualifications simply have to be given a lot of weight on a day to day practical level as well. We all know governments and companies get things wrong on a massive scale sometimes, but I don't think the data and record supports an opinion that Ford's change to 5W20 falls into that category.

When did Ford start adopting 5W20. Late '90s, early 2000s? Only now they are changing bearing designs to suit? How strange.

i think for the way the vast majority of Americans drive, 20 is fine. You notice that pick ups and trucks that might be towing something usually spec a 30 or 40. You notice Corvette has not gone to 20 W. i see the SRT8 Challenger specs 40 W (470hp) but the 5.7L Challenger RT specs 20 (370hp).

They must have their reasons but i'm not convinced all their reasons are beneficial to us.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm thinking if there is accelerated wear, it would be the bearings,crank and piston rings. However, if wear is somewhat accelerated but not greatly so, the first thing noticeable in perf would be loss of compression from ring/cylinder wear.

What if using a 20 instead of a 30 wt would degrade your compression slightly over a long period such as 50K to 100K miles, but the car still drives fine. And for lightly driven cars there would be little to no increased wear, but for extreme duty like towing, drag racing or track sessions it would be noticeable, but then again these drivers are probably smart enough to use 30, 40 or 50 regardless of manuf spec.

but 99% of Americans do none of these, so it's fine.

Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ] i think for the way the vast majority of Americans drive, 20 is fine. You notice that pick ups and trucks that might be towing something usually spec a 30 or 40. You notice Corvette has not gone to 20 W. i see the SRT8 Challenger specs 40 W (470hp) but the 5.7L Challenger RT specs 20 (370hp).

They must have their reasons but i'm not convinced all their reasons are beneficial to us.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm thinking if there is accelerated wear, it would be the bearings,crank and piston rings. However, if wear is somewhat accelerated but not greatly so, the first thing noticeable in perf would be loss of compression from ring/cylinder wear.

What if using a 20 instead of a 30 wt would degrade your compression slightly over a long period such as 50K to 100K miles, but the car still drives fine. And for lightly driven cars there would be little to no increased wear, but for extreme duty like towing, drag racing or track sessions it would be noticeable, but then again these drivers are probably smart enough to use 30, 40 or 50 regardless of manuf spec.

but 99% of Americans do none of these, so it's fine.

I am happy that you brought up the point of the Corvette how long has GM recommended 5W-30 for that application for awhile it had to pass GM4718 specification. Now all it has to do is pass DEXOS. The last time I checked a Corvette was a performance car the standard American Sport Car but 5W-30 is fine but 5W-20 is not good enough?

TFB1 said:
virginoil said:
particularly oils over there are better than before so it's not completely analagous but the simplistic reasoning and adding more vii is.

You just need to convince Penrite.

See above, that'd probably go over about as good as trying to convince someone here to use pricey 20W60 synthetic in their '73 Impala.

FWIW, my '77 Caddy had 20w-50 most of its' life until rust took it away. Still ran and drove great at 120k miles. 10w-anything would just squirt out of the seals when first put into gear after start up.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I am happy that you brought up the point of the Corvette how long has GM recommended 5W-30 for that application for awhile it had to pass GM4718 specification. Now all it has to do is pass DEXOS. The last time I checked a Corvette was a performance car the standard American Sport Car but 5W-30 is fine but 5W-20 is not good enough?

In fairness, GM uses 5w-30 for everything. It's not like they said 5w-20 is okay for an Impala, but not a Vette.

As for the Penrite site, I was surprised that for my 3.7L, they recommend 5w-30 (like the manufacturer does) or a 5w-40, and nothing thicker. Those recommendations seem rather sensible, if you ask me. A step thicker to a 5w-40 is certainly not off the wall.

I like thicker oils and all,but 20W60? Holy cow! I feel 10W40 is the "sweet spot" for my car. Gonna actually try Synpower 10W30 next. I can tell the M1 15W50 slows my car down a *tiny* but over the M1 10W40HM. I used M1 10W30HM in my gf`s Mustang V6 and it defenitely "liked" the previous fill of Synpower 10W30 better. Had a lot more power.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I like thicker oils and all,but 20W60? Holy cow! I feel 10W40 is the "sweet spot" for my car. Gonna actually try Synpower 10W30 next. I can tell the M1 15W50 slows my car down a *tiny* but over the M1 10W40HM.

I believe 25W-70 is available in the land down under. I can imagine pouring that at 0F.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I like thicker oils and all,but 20W60? Holy cow! I feel 10W40 is the "sweet spot" for my car. Gonna actually try Synpower 10W30 next. I can tell the M1 15W50 slows my car down a *tiny* but over the M1 10W40HM.

I believe 25W-70 is available in the land down under. I can imagine pouring that at 0F.

You`d have to dig it out of the bottle with a spoon haha! Kind`ve like that Smuckers hot fudge sundae topping.

Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler

FWIW, my '77 Caddy had 20w-50 most of its' life until rust took it away.

'77 Sedan DeVille?

My '78 used to just love Exxon Superflo 20W-50. Ran extremely quiet
and would burn rubber at the slightest touch of the accelerator.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Haven't seen too many pearls of wisdom coming off your keyboard, bucko, so I think the green-eyed monster is talking. Their "opinions" are based on a lot of study and they usually back their "opinions" up with information and references. They also respond well to challenges of their "opinions" so if you don't agree, by all means challenge them on the facts with some of your own.... but you better bring a lunch. That's not to say I always agree with them either but I admire and appreciate the mental effort they put into formulating their "opinions." One liners like yours just don't carry much weight.

Oops, look like I hurt someone's feelings....
All I did was ask a legit question, and I get this from a so-called self-appointed oil guru. Nice forum this is.

The cold hard facts are, JIM, that most everything on here is opinion, with most of it being spewed from what people 'feel' is the best oil. Nothing but opinions.
43.gif

Facts are few and far between. I never claimed to know it all, unlike others here, I make it clear that what I post is opinion, not gospel.

Last edited:

> 0F in Oz? Surely you jest...

To Jim Allen:

You say that Ford has invested millions of dollars in qualification testing for engine parts with thin oil. I don't doubt this for a minute. Its probably cost the industry billions having to meet these "CAFE" regulations. The only thing worse than failing to meet these Government regulations would be having one of your "class action" lawsuits from all the angry customers with broken engines.

Sure, you can claim that the engines give reliable service under average conditions as a result of all this testing and redevelopment. My point is: if you don't value CAFE, if you don't care about a 0.5 mpg difference in fuel consumption, wouldn't it be better to use a slightly thicker oil that offers better protection, as recommended by the same manufacturer, for the same vehicle and engine and similar climite; the only difference being it its sold in a different market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back