American food in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL, sorry, the picture on the front page made me think of "Captain Spaulding's" fried chicken outlet.

Boy, click on "Our products" and you have an assortment of about the most overprocessed industrial foods from the US.

Mori at least will be glad that we are trying to ship root beer overseas, less to see here.

Salt water taffy is probably a good export.

BTW in the interest of full disclosure, Aunt Jemima maple syrup = Corn syrup with 2% "real maple flavor"

It says "QUARANTINED" next to rice-a-roni herb+butter. No kidding!

lol.gif

Too bad we can't export Memphis BBQ!! Maybe folks outside USA will better appreciate some of our "real" food. It used to bother me when people in China would say "western food" is terrible....based only "western food" in China. (which of course is either something quite strange or MacD's/KFC/etc)

Pablo,
I've got a couple of genuine Cajun cookbooks, and the results are nothing like we get served as "cajun" over here.

The southern recipes in my BBQ bible are pretty tasty also.

Pablo that would be nice but trust me you will take whatever you can get if you have been on deployment for 7 months and this is all you can get.

Been "down under" 3 times (south coast, east coast and center), and most of that stuff was visible on the local shelves, although way in the back.

It was nice ???? to see that the American Embassy (McDonalds), had so many branch offices throughout the country.

O my! Tab, the foulest-tasting beverage ever made by the Coca Cola company. I didnt think it still existed.

The only products on that site worth buying are Hienz 57 sauce and some of the hot sauces, not the Tabasco products.

We get root beer here. One of the vice prinicipals I know here has an undying love for Dad’s root beer.
I remember American food in Australia. Hungry Jack’s, McD’s, Burger King, and Taco Bell.

Australians, Hungry Jack’s and Burger King had the same thing, is it correct that Burger King is owned by McDonald’s in Australia?

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
* "it" might be your life
tongue.gif

Was reading a book today, and the question was asked re shortening...what does it shorten ?

Answer "your life"

Nope, we don't have the chains that you mention there.

This is not directed at anyone in this thread, but more of a rhetorical statement. My question is, why is it that the “American Food” that is taken to other countries is only the bad stuff. This also begs the question why does it sell so well? Markets only sell what sells, so the people buying are either ignorant of it’s “badness” or they don’t care. Why should it be blamed on America that others are buying their food.

quote:

My question is, why is it that the “American Food” that is taken to other countries is only the bad stuff.

But it's generally the same with other countries' food. Exceptions do exist, but they'r rare. Also, fast food is an American invention, and because of the convenience factor it's simply taking over, even if it's not that great. My German hometown got a McD's in the late '70s.

By the way, McDonalds uses much better rolls for their burgers in Europe. They also use higher quality fat and, depending on the country, they may have totally different menus than they offer in the US. Since you been living in Japan, I'm sure you know what KFC has there on the menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back