American dealership selling 2021 Canadian Ford Bronco Sports

I was browsing one of my local Chevy dealers and came upon these two 2021 Ford Bronco Sports. I clicked on the Carfax and was surprised they came from Alberta. I know about the 25 year rule for importing non US cars, but how did this dealer get away with this? First they have these used Bronco Sports marked up over $10K and then these won’t have a warranty because they are imported used from Canada. What am I missing here?

558A51E6-7B9B-4C4F-AE21-98C6DBE8A040.jpg

21576FE1-8FFA-48AE-9555-A72C668530AF.jpg

I would say owner one bought in Canada and traded it in the states but Alberta is more than 374 miles from Arkansas.

Canada is a big source for late model used F-150s in to the United States-or was before the pandemic. So obviously the 25 year thing is not applicable.

Reactions: JC1
It's a new car that should conform to US safety and emissions requirements, you don't have to wait 25 years to import a car that complies with those standards. I doubt the Canadian market version of this car is any different than the US version in regards to basic safety and emissions equipment.
Canada piggybacks on US requirements and adds a few of its own, such as DRLs now including taillamps, that don't conflict with US rules. Whatever SAE International recommends, the US and Canada adopt.

Something seems fishy. How did a low-mileage vehicle change from medium blue to green? I'm thinking something shady is going on.

Probably negligence, you know how many cars out there were reported as the wrong color to the DMV, I bet it's a blue color that's confusing whether it's blue or grey and someone accidentally selected green instead of grey on a selection.

I was browsing one of my local Chevy dealers and came upon these two 2021 Ford Bronco Sports. I clicked on the Carfax and was surprised they came from Alberta. I know about the 25 year rule for importing non US cars, but how did this dealer get away with this? First they have these used Bronco Sports marked up over $10K and then these won’t have a warranty because they are imported used from Canada. What am I missing here?

View attachment 83038

View attachment 83039
I’m trying to figure out your comments. “ and then these won’t have warranties because they are imported used from Canada” . I believe they would retain their warranties but check with the dealer. I imported a new Chev Suburban in the opposite direction and the warranty was intact.

These appear to be brand new vehicles with 10 and 18 km when they left the Cam Clark dealerships.

Looks like Cam Clark Ford , of Airdrie and Red Deer, both of which I recognize , got an offer they couldn’t refuse. I’m going to guess that both these vehicles were manufactured in the USA and because of that, under the revised Free Trade Agreement, the vehicles could come back to the USA without penalty.

I have no idea about those 374 miles.

Not sure about new vehicles, but if anyone wants to come to my city of Cranbrook we can have coffee at Timmies and watch car haulers full of used pickups headed south towards the border. This is a lucrative business, driven by the 80 cent Canadian dollar and new vehicle shortages. The Free Trade agreement makes this possible.

The Canadian dollar is 80 cents US which makes it lucrative to take a $50,000 Canadian pickup and sell it for $40,000 US dollars. Selling it for anything more than $40,000 USD is profit plus a possible dealer markup above the MSRP that might be asked for in the hot US vehicle market.

PS: The 25 year rule is for importing vehicles are not up to date on emissions and crash standards. Also, this entire process ran in the reverse direction in 2008 when the Canadian dollar was worth more than the US dollar? What causes this? Mostly the price of oil. When oil is more than $100 US per bbl, the Canadian dollar zooms.

Last edited:
Canada piggybacks on US requirements and adds a few of its own, such as DRLs now including taillamps, that don't conflict with US rules. Whatever SAE International recommends, the US and Canada adopt.

Something seems fishy. How did a low-mileage vehicle change from medium blue to green? I'm thinking something shady is going on.
Just colour blind people registering vehicles. I can think of some car colours that would be described as blue/green.

This happens all of the time, with all makes and models. When looking to purchase my 2017 Sierra, I saw hundreds of nearly new or lightly used Sierras that had been imported from Canada, now located in the upper Midwest. Any of three things were a giveaway as to the origin of the truck. A maple leaf on the door jamb sticker, a "Kodiak" special edition package, or trucks factory equipped with 18" Bridgestone Dueler A/T blackwall tires.

View attachment 83038

View attachment 83039
From what I can find, Ford will honor the warranty (it wouldn’t hurt to ask the directly though). Chrysler is the odd one who does not honor warranties for vehicles originally registered in Canada.

under the revised Free Trade Agreement, the vehicles could come back to the USA without penalty.
Cars made in the USA, Canada, or Mexico are free to trade between any of the three countries. This was also the case under the previous NAFTA.

Does Canada use metric? I guess you have to get used to the speedometer in kilometers

Ugh. Reminds me of a time where I sold a Ram 1500 Tradesman to a guy and I wasn't aware that it was a truck that was originally sold/registered in Canada, which apparently impacted the warranty beyond the original owner. He came back to the dealership a month later fuming (rightfully so) that his warranty repair got denied at the RAM dealership because of issues with the warranty due to it being a Canadian model. I don't remember the whole story, but that was a nightmare to deal with.

Back