American Chopper Oil Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone is watching american chopper they put a 60 wt in the bike, left the tanks near the door (freezing temps)...and it couldn't even pour outta the return line it was so thick.

Next day it seized a piston.

I guess they should have used a 20wt!
lol.gif

I just watched it as well. They were concerned about running it on the dyno without any break-in. I guess 60wt oil plus a couple 5 grand runs on a brand new motor didn't work out so well.

I'm glad some one besides me saw that!

Rediculous!

Hundreds of hours of work, strain, screaming, yelling, worry, anxiety, just so when they finally get the bike built they can abuse the **** out of it.
This entire show is an insult to anyone with a smidgen of mechanical sense. TV time is not real world time anyway, so why is it the consistant theme for all of these hot-rod-home-bike-car-garage is the shortage of time, for all the viewing audience knows the series could have been filmed over a period of years instead of days or weeks.
My favorite shows are American Hot Rod, Boyd Coddington, "We gotta build this car in six weeks". Get real, Dwayne guy running around screaming, yelling, flopping and farting, a real lesson in leadership and ability. Blue Bear, would you have continued to employ such an abrassive idiot in your business. What's the deal about the nobody "wanting" to work on a auto. I just don't get it, I have been employed for 35 years and to date I can't think of a single occassion when I was asked "what do you want to work on". Duh???? It has got to be all for the cameras. In a word, fake. Real car, fake show.
The OCC show, does anyone really think that such a disfunctional bunch of misfits can really build anything but a headache. Both these shows have to have some talented people not shown on camera, that actually do the work. Paul's and Paul Jr.'s distructive habits and relationship has to be staged for the cameras. The first few episodes were entertaining after that it just turns in to a poorly written imitation of Peyton Place. False drama, fake anger, like I said somebody not on camera must be working really hard to make that place a success.

yeah, what kills me the most is "American Hotrod". I was looking at the Barrett Jackson site, and his cars are going for over $500k. What the **** ??? I mean they're nice, but they aren't some unbelievable crazy amazing car. For that kind of cash they should look like they do, and they should be extremely high tech in terms of suspension, motor and electronics. Meanwhile, you watch the show and they can't figure out how to time a freaking motor or bleed a cooling system. Amazing.

'American Idol' co-host Brian Dunkelman hired as presenter for American Hotrod. Now that would be something to improve the show. I just wonder how Boyd is going to employ his second wife in the business when he gets a younger one. His first wife runs the books. Maybe they will work in the same office. Blue Bear was hired by Boyd's second wife, he was a relation I believe.
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by oldman:
'American Idol' co-host Brian Dunkelman hired as presenter for American Hotrod. Now that would be something to improve the show. I just wonder how Boyd is going to employ his second wife in the business when he gets a younger one. His first wife runs the books. Maybe they will work in the same office. Blue Bear was hired by Boyd's second wife, he was a relation I believe.
lol.gif

I'm still trying to understand how so many of these guys got such good reputations for building hot rods. Those guys at Boyde's seem to have all the knowledge of your average high school shop class. They've shown them doing some really dumb things. Running a vehicle with no oil pressure for about 10 minutes because they didn't check the oil pan/pickup clearance when they assembled the engine and the pickup was closed off by the bottom of the pan. Or watching them use unpainted OSB for some interior parts. As if that would last more than a few months if you lived anywhere that had rain.

I guess if it looks good it sells and never mind if it's destroyed in a year...

Those guys are idjits. Artists sometimes. Idjits in real life. It amazes me they have a TV and I don't......it REALLY amazes me how much air time they get!! They got more hang time than Roddy McDowell.....

More than once I've seen 'em make a frame and the engine won't fit.......they call 'em "choppers" for a reason!

quote:

Running a vehicle with no oil pressure for about 10 minutes because they didn't check the oil pan/pickup clearance when they assembled the engine and the pickup was closed off by the bottom of the pan.

Yes I forgot about that one, that was the yellow Mustang wasn't it. I can imagine what the owner would have said, if it were me, and six months after I got my car, I was watching TV and saw them run my engine for ten minutes without oil pressure. "Hello Boyd, yes the is twentynine. Just seen the wonderful episode where you were working on my car. Sure Boyd, yes it was very exciting, now I would like to know where I can get my new engine or I'LL be there tomorrow to burn your shop down".

Love the new one on now, building a Corvette that ain't really a Corvette, double turbos, every gadget known to man. The guy they are building it for has to be 6'6" tall, 245-260 lbs, a butthole, and he is complaining about the lack of room in the car. Where the heck has he been?

The only guy on the show that idicated he had true talent was Charlie and now he's gone. Gone to work for the competition Foose.

Course with the miracle of TV how do we really know what's going on.

Talking about frames not fitting, watched Southern Iron (?) couple nights ago. What a nightmare, bearded idiot, nincompoop w/sandles and sox, and slow talking dummy. Chasing tomcats all over the property. No dang wonder people think Southerners are idiots, those guys have to be double first cousins. To to it all off, they let them play with tourches, tools and sharp objects.

Speaking of Foose, Overhaulin ain't to bad if they would just get that dang gal to shut up and do some work.

quote:

Originally posted by twentynine:
Talking about frames not fitting, watched Southern Iron (?) couple nights ago. What a nightmare, bearded idiot, nincompoop w/sandles and sox, and slow talking dummy. Chasing tomcats all over the property. No dang wonder people think Southerners are idiots, those guys have to be double first cousins. To to it all off, they let them play with tourches, tools and sharp objects.

Hehehe, I always said that the guy with the long grey beard was the brains of this operation.

The one thing I don't get about overhauling...is they recently had two episodes where they redid the cars of celebrity's.

I'm sorry...but why do celebrity's need overhauling to fix up "their rides".

Its not as if miss crow couldn't have just plopped down the money to fix up the GTO herself.

No disrespect for Indian Larry, but I have never seen any TV show builders ever use a micrometer or feeler guages. They just slap the bikes together. As a rule, most of them buy their frames, engines and trannys from an outside source, and then just bolt them together. I think, with the right amount of money and the right tools, I could put a team of myself and a few friends together and we could build a bike that could run circles around anything these guys build, mechanically. It would take longer than a month to do it right.

quote:

Originally posted by carrera79:
yeah, what kills me the most is "American Hotrod". I was looking at the Barrett Jackson site, and his cars are going for over $500k. What the **** ??? I mean they're nice, but they aren't some unbelievable crazy amazing car. For that kind of cash they should look like they do, and they should be extremely high tech in terms of suspension, motor and electronics. Meanwhile, you watch the show and they can't figure out how to time a freaking motor or bleed a cooling system. Amazing.

Well said! If I was going to pay top dollar for a custom car, Troy Tripanier (butchured that one!) would be getting my dime. Boyd Cottingtons builds cheesy street rods; Rad Rides by Troy will build you a twin turbo whatever ya want, that'll be mechanically perfect.

At least Paul Senior of OCC is somewhat lovable.
Paul Jr. is the nice guy.
The 'we are up against the clock' thing is for drama.
The bellowing Boss thing is conflict.
Mikey and Blue Bear are comic relief.
Charlie was the nice guy.
I think the Overhauling Foose cars rock!

Oh yea, Coddington is plainly a jerk.

"At least Paul Senior of OCC is somewhat lovable."

compared to what? He's an self-absorbed arrogant primadonna..... Perhaps his on-air persona is for the show only. Doesn't work for me.

I tend to find his work fairly gaudy and tasteless. He's a fair craftsman but not an artist. Huge difference, btw.

A guy I know lives in the area and is a motorcyclist (not on a Harley or Metric cruiser). A few friends of his and he stopped by once and ran into Paul Sr. Apparently "in person" Paul Sr. is a rather nice guy and not at all like you see on TV. However, their bikes are crap and are meant for "show" not for "go". I'm told (by people that would know) that they aren't even remotely safe to ride and almost certainly aren't road legal.

I stopped watching after a while because it became the same thing week after week. Mikey is the funniest thing on that show and that's just because he's a generally nice guy.

Of course, I loved Farscape and think I'm going to love the new Battlestar Galactica.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back