American Castrol Edge 5w-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vad

I just came back from my local AutoZone.
Guess what I've found on the shelf.
An American made, "Get the Syntec Edge" Castrol 5w-40.
Front, Back.

Have you guys seen any mention of the "Syntec Edge" before?

At the back it says "tested on VW TDI Engines"(i.e diesel!) but at the back says for "gasoline engines" am i missing something?
frown.gif

That must be old or photoshop. I see the BP logo, but SL, SJ...seems old, and only CJ?

But then maybe it's old stuff just relabled...then you gotta give then props for being honest.

It's not a photoshop. I have the bottle in front of me.
"Superior European formula now blended in the USA".
smile.gif

The production date is August 2005. So it is new stuff.
And it does say "tested in VW TDI engines".

quote:

Originally posted by vad:
smile.gif

Does gasoline mean diesel and petrol?? or just petrol?
shocked.gif

Gasoline means petrol.
What's the problem?

-

[ October 14, 2005, 04:51 AM: Message edited by: vad ]

quote:

smile.gif

So they use a petrol oil in a diesel VW TDI engine?? thats the problem
frown.gif

VW 505.00 is the VW diesel spec for normal, non-PD diesel engines. Many oils meet VW 502.00 and VW 505.00, for example M1 15W-50. This Castrol oil is not approved for VW PD diesel engines, which require oil that meets VW 505.01.

I don't know where it supposedly says this oil is only for gasoline engines?
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
VW 505.00 is the VW diesel spec for normal, non-PD diesel engines. Many oils meet VW 502.00 and VW 505.00, for example M1 15W-50. This Castrol oil is not approved for VW PD diesel engines, which require oil that meets VW 505.01.

I don't know where it supposedly says this oil is only for gasoline engines?
tongue.gif

my mistake, thanks
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by uconn1150:
That must be old or photoshop. I see the BP logo, but SL, SJ...seems old, and only CJ?

But then maybe it's old stuff just relabled...then you gotta give then props for being honest.

Vad, sorry for the skepticism. It was way too late. CJ>CI...duh...This seems like a good replacement for the Green!

quote:

Have you guys seen any mention of the "Syntec Edge" before?

To get back to your original question, "edge" on the Syntec bottle is not being used as a new brand name (as it is on the new "Edge" product line in the UK), it is being used as a synonym for "advantage," i.e., "Get the Syntec advantage." You will find the same thing on all Syntec bottles, not just the 5w40 grade.

vad,

The two things everyone is dying to know is:

1) Is it GREEN ?

2) What does it SMELL like?

Open the bottle and tell us what color the oil is,
and give it a sniff to see if it smells good
grin.gif

This is just the BC 5w40 that is blended in North America now instead of Belgium, most likely because of the weak dollar. It doesn't carry the 503.01 long life spec and is not as good as GC 0w30, gold or green.

quote:

Originally posted by Bill:
vad,

The two things everyone is dying to know is:

1) Is it GREEN ?

2) What does it SMELL like?

I guess it all comes down to these two attributes?
grin.gif

1) It is not GREEN.

2) It did smell good.
When I come home I'll make a comparison test between this oil and the Green in order to tell you if there are smell similarities.

I've been doing a bit of research on various Castrol European websites and it appears that 'Synthetic' 5W-40 comes in two basic flavours.

One is described as "Synthetic technology" and the datasheets list it as "Highly refined mineral oil." My interpretation of this is that its basically a Grp III of some type.
The other is described as "Syntheic oil" and listed on the datasheets as "Synthetic base stock" sometimes with "Highly refined mineral oil." I assume that this is therefore a Grp IV/V or a Grp IV/V + Grp III blend.

The difference that kept cropping up between those oils described as sythetic technology and those described as synthetic is the VW 505.01 rating. All those that had the 505.01 rating were in the synthetic group, those that didn't were in the highly refined mineral group (synthetic technology).

Now this only applies to Castrol 5W-40 oils with the word 'synthetic' in it's description, no others.
And, this is just from an hour or so of searching by myself - I could be wrong.

One other thing on the gasoline/diesel ACEA & manufacturer approvals/ratings. When I contacted Castrol about the suitabillity of two of their oils for my gasoline engine, they also said in a 'by-the-way' sort of comment that their diesel engine oils would also be suitable, by meeting all of the required gas approvals/ratings I mentioned, but that they did not explicitly claim these on the packs or datasheets because the oil was marketed as a diesel engine oil.

quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't carry the 503.01 long life spec and is not as good as GC 0w30, gold or green.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VW 503.01 is not a better VW oil spec, just different. VW 502.00 approval includes the VW T4 (VW PV1449) test that ensures compatibility with extended drain.

How do you know this oil is not as good as GC?

I believe that GC uses a superior base stock and that the 5w40 is an older formulation. But that's just my opinion. Enough qualifiers for ya?

I just came from Autozone, unfortunately, the one I was going to didn't have the 5W40 or 0W30.

This may or not apply here and I can't remember exactly what the sign said; but essentially, it said some Castrol Syntec product bottles may be different due to Hurricane Katrina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back