American/Canadian diesel qualities and HPFP failures

Hi everyone,

I have a 2013 Ford F-350 6.7L diesel work truck and was wondering if there are lubricity difference in diesel from Canada vs US?

High Pressure Fuel Pump failures in modern diesel trucks are often caused by poor lubricity in diesel fuel. That said, I'm using the higher quality diesel fuel being sold here in my province (Alberta) that has improved lubricity over conventional diesel. Am I safe to continue to do so or do I need to install a HPFP failure kit i see being touted to avoid a $12000 repair bill.

Isn't the 'failure kit' just all the parts you have to replace when the pump grenades and trashes the whole system? I don't think they're sold as a preventative.

Unless you're talking about the bypass kit:

I don't recall HPFP issues with the fleet of Ford 6.0L that I was running, I had 300 in service. Ford did issue a TSB on fuel quality. Their additives "improved" fuel quality and boosted the cetane.

Which 6.0 had an HPFP? The ones I am familiar with use a HPOP with unit injectors and are not high pressure common rail.

Isn't the 'failure kit' just all the parts you have to replace when the pump grenades and trashes the whole system? I don't think they're sold as a preventative.

Unless you're talking about the bypass kit:

it is the prevention kit I’m referring to. A worthy investment?

Back