American Airlines mechanic in Miami charged with sabotaging plane. It aborted ta

Status
Not open for further replies.
American Airlines mechanic in Miami charged with sabotaging plane. It aborted takeoff.

What a piece of trash to tamper with the ADM system.
mad.gif

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/article234766107.html

He claimed that he was trying to get himself some overtime for debugging and fixing the problem when the plane came back...they definitely need to interrogate this guy closely and look carefully into his background, and that would be true even if his name was John Smith.

I work in the aviation field. Never, ever, have I seen or met someone who intentionally sabotages an aircraft. In fact, when we do disable a non essential system via the MEL, it's done with the manufacturers and FAA approval via approved data. Furthermore, the information is made available to the crew via placards on the non operative equipment and clearly stated in the daily flight log / daily cockpit paperwork. There are known trends and known groups that specifically target aviation, all of us would do well to be alert for any irregularities. These groups regularly target everything from airline food all the way up to the flights themselves. As always, best to be alert and aware.

Last edited:
Even if the perp's intentions were as stated, you'd think a veteran mechanic would know literally a hundred better ways to get OT pay without putting 150 people at risk.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Even if the perp's intentions were as stated, you'd think a veteran mechanic would know literally a hundred better ways to get OT pay without putting 150 people at risk.

Of course he did. That's why any argument to the contrary is bogus.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
The guy's name is irrelevant if plane crashed and 150+ people killed. Look at OKC FBI building....

That was not aircraft related. Look at the 4 jets that were intentionally crashed on 9/11, and killed 3,000 Americans. That's not coincidence. And even if you think it is, you still have Ft. Hood to explain away. Good luck.

I think the labor talks angle is a cover story.

I know a airline mechanic. They have to go through strict physicals including psychological profiling to keep their license. This varmint shouldn't be in that position.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
The guy's name is irrelevant if plane crashed and 150+ people killed. Look at OKC FBI building....

That was not aircraft related. Look at the 4 jets that were intentionally crashed on 9/11, and killed 3,000 Americans. That's not coincidence. And even if you think it is, you still have Ft. Hood to explain away. Good luck.

Correct, but that's not the point he was trying make. The OKC Fed building was done by someone who didn't have middle eastern sounding name - and it was still what amounted to terrorism.

Could it be linked to Middle Eastern terrorist type activities? Possibly, maybe even probably but let's not make that assumption before everything is investigated and all the facts are out.

With a name like that, he is not likely to survive long in prison.

Which is fine by me, he does not need 3 hots and a cot.

I do not fly a lot, but when I do I would prefer the plane not be sabotaged.

Rod

If he needed some extra bucks, he could have driven for Uber on his downtime instead of potentially bringing a plane down from the skies. Now, he's going to the pokey and won't find another job. Maybe McDonald's or working at an Amazon warehouse?

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
He claimed that he was trying to get himself some overtime

This is a bunch of b.s. that I'm sure investigators are going to see right through. American has been pleading with their mechanics to take some overtime to get the Aircraft Out-Of-Service numbers down (currently at record numbers on a daily basis) but there's a concerted effort by the TWU-IAM to decline opportunities to work overtime hours.

Endangering safety/sabotage is NOT acceptable as a labor negotiation tactic. I could understand a work slowdown, but not the intentional act this "man" performed.

A saboteur is exposed!!! I smack my head in disbelief that a mechanic pursued his own personal gratification without regard to the lives of passengers and crew... he can count on a boot out the door of a high flying aircraft from me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back