AMD display driver error

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep getting a blank screen for a second and a error msg that says.AMD display driver stopped working and has recovered.Is the hard drive going out? Just a cheap HP with A6 AMD

Display driver errors are video card related. Did you change something prior to getting this error, possibly installed a new program or something?

windows update does screw things up,
also overheating can cause driver failure.

I'd uninstall the driver and do a fresh install of latest driver beta if needs be.
update directx while at it too.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
windows update does screw things up,
also overheating can cause driver failure.

I'd uninstall the driver and do a fresh install of latest driver beta if needs be.
update directx while at it too.

If anything, he needs to roll back to an older driver. Sounds like the new one is buggy. Beta might be even worse.

open the case and see how full of dirt it is, and if all the fans are moving.

Originally Posted By: Rand
open the case and see how full of dirt it is, and if all the fans are moving.

Yes, if the video card has a tiny fan they can often seize because of dirt or just being cheap, AMD had a problem where they designed the GPU with the fan pointing DOWNWARDS, which cause the bearings to fail prematurely on those cards..look at your card and see if the fan is pointing down.

That being said I would just try to reinstall the existing driver IF it was working perfectly previously. All you need to do is select uninstall driver, and then select "restart" when the PC boots it will reinstall the current driver for the video card.

Last edited:
It really depends if the computer in question is running a separate Radeon video card (the fans stuff), or just using the onboard GPU on the APU (hence the A6 chip the OP has).

My laptop, with a AMD APU gets these errors here and there.

my desktop, with a Nvidia GPU never has driver issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back