AMC sighting

In an era of look-alike SUVs, the Gremlin looks like nothing else. Although technically that has probably always been the case...

What are your plans for it?
I bought for a way below market price because it won’t start (ignition related). I bought it from a 75-year old-man who bought it from the 89-year-old lady who bought it new. The 19k on the odometer may be original. If replacing the ignition control module doesn’t work, I’ll upgrade it to a GM-type HEI. After that, I need to get the outside door handle to work. Then, it’s appearance-related stuff like a good wash/polish/wax, new carpet, etc. I’ll be enjoying it in mostly stock form. Once my son is a bit older, he will learn to drive (manual transmission) on it.

Some of the earlier Gremlins had a 2.0 VW/ Porsche(924) motor albeit using a carburetor.

My favorite AMC by a long shot was Eagle, amazing to take my parent's extra "car" off-road crossing shallow rivers and driving on loose deep beach sand with the car not missing beat. My favorite was in college visiting friend on Martha's Vineyard with the car and getting an Overland Sand Permit. It was an odd ball on beach :)

A friend and I used to drive his Gremlin back and forth from Pittsburgh to Chanute AFB in IL. That little 6 would just hum along at 70+ mph the whole time. Ran really smooth and never had to stop for gas!

Some of the earlier Gremlins had a 2.0 VW/ Porsche(924) motor albeit using a carburetor.
You have it backwards. The VW/Audi 2.0L 4-cyl became available at the end of Gremlin production, part way through 1977. It cost more than a Gremlin with the standard 232 I6 and only got 1 mpg better gas mileage. They didn't sell many of them and they had a bad reputation (poor reliability). On the other hand, the 232 I6 had an outstanding reputation, happily purring like a kitten until the car rusted-out around it.

Last edited:
Bought new in 71 no ac ,am/fm radio, crank windows with the 242 , auto $1975 dark green, rally wheels. Remember when the Pacer came out test drove one thought i was in a parade with all the glass. Glad i didn't buy one.

You have it backwards. The VW/Audi 2.0L 4-cyl became available at the end of Gremlin production, part way through 1977. It cost more than a Gremlin with the standard 232 I6 and only got 1 mpg better gas mileage. They didn't sell many of them and they had a bad reputation (poor reliability). On the other hand, the 232 I6 had an outstanding reputation, happily purring like a kitten until the car rusted-out around it.

Yessir. I was going to say I was quite certain the Gremlin was originally advertised as being the only "compact" with a standard 6cyl.

Yessir. I was going to say I was quite certain the Gremlin was originally advertised as being the only "compact" with a standard 6cyl.
At the end in 1978, the 232 cid 6-cyl was still standard in the base model Gremlin. The 2.0L 4-cyl was an extra cost option, only available in the step-up "custom" model.

The only Gremlin I remember seeing from late 1980s was rotted apart. Did they have terrible corrosion resistance ?
I think all vehicles of that era were horrendous in terms of corrosion resistance. I recall a neighbor buying not one, but two Pacers brand new. They rusted out beyond repair in 3yrs.

The only Gremlin I remember seeing from late 1980s was rotted apart. Did they have terrible corrosion resistance ?
Yes. AMC didn’t start galvanizing their body panels until a little later. I know their print ads touted that feature in 1981. In Southeast Wisconsin, Eagles, Concords, and Spirits seemed to last a lot longer than Hornets, Gremlins, and Matadors. The ‘77 Gremlin my parents bought used as a cheap commuter car was pretty rusty by the late 80’s.

Back