AmazonBasics 5W40 European

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Navi
I did test the Amsoil 5W30 SS and Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40. The M1 5W40 did as well as Amsoil...neck and neck but the Mobil 1 was half the pricw at Walmart.

Its going to be:

AmazonBasics Euro 5W40
AmazonBasics HDEO 5W40 or Mag1 version or Supertech
Castrol 5W40
Valvoline 5W40 Euro

Once thats done my experimentation will be complete on the Walmart/Amazon sourced 5W40s.

IMHO 5W40 is great for severe service like towing or taxi style work or for those turbo Subaru guys....

How exactly did you test the oil? What parameters of the oils aren't adequately represented by the approvals or certifications and the grade designation?

Originally Posted by kschachn
I did test the Amsoil 5W30 SS and Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40. The M1 5W40 did as well as Amsoil...neck and neck but the Mobil 1 was half the pricw at Walmart.

Its going to be:

AmazonBasics Euro 5W40
AmazonBasics HDEO 5W40 or Mag1 version or Supertech
Castrol 5W40
Valvoline 5W40 Euro

Once thats done my experimentation will be complete on the Walmart/Amazon sourced 5W40s.

IMHO 5W40 is great for severe service like towing or taxi style work or for those turbo Subaru guys....

How exactly did you test the oil? What parameters of the oils aren't adequately represented by the approvals or certifications and the grade designation?

I shouldn't speak for the OP but I think he'd agree the "test" (using that term loosely) results here are empirical and not scientific since there's so many variables..but as I see it, there's nothing wrong with seeing how the different lubes perform in his engine.

To put it differently, for him it's just "something to do" i suppose...his money, his car - have at it. I will admit I'm curious to see the UOA's.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Maybe he feels sorry for Bezos since Gates just got ahead of him

Make Amazon Great Again?...‚

Originally Posted by Audios
Originally Posted by TiGeo
Originally Posted by SlavaB
Not sure what you're getting here

Amazon Basics 5w40 $29.99 @ Amazon, no euro manufacturers approvals
M1 0w40 6qt $28 @ Costco, all kind of approvals including MB, Porsche etc

No clue why anyone would use this over M1/Castrol products.

For science and the good of the forum!

+1. Navi, thanks for the post!

I ran that stuff in my 88 ford f150. Start's up quicker, got better fuel milage but did plug up my filter. Swapped filter and no problems since.

Originally Posted by mpack88
I ran that stuff in my 88 ford f150. Start's up quicker, got better fuel milage but did plug up my filter. Swapped filter and no problems since.

What stuff?

You cant expect exacting scientific testing from someone on BobIsTheOilGuy. That kind of testing would be time intensive, expensive and require some formal knowledge. The most you can expect from here is someone sending in their sample to Blackstone.

You cant expect exacting scientific testing from someone on BobIsTheOilGuy. That kind of testing would be time intensive, expensive and require some formal knowledge. The most you can expect from here is someone sending in their sample to Blackstone.

Exactly correct, that's why standards, specifications and approvals mean so much. A Blackstone analysis, not so much. Blackstone themselves showed that between appropriately rated oils there is no statistical difference in "wear rates".

Originally Posted by SlavaB
Not sure what you're getting here

Amazon Basics 5w40 $29.99 @ Amazon, no euro manufacturers approvals
M1 0w40 6qt $28 @ Costco, all kind of approvals including MB, Porsche etc

No clue why anyone would use this over M1/Castrol products.

My feelings exactly. But I'm interested in the results.

I did go over a lot of different UOAs on the internet of 0W40s and there seemed much higher iron wear than 5W40s. Mobil 1 seemed like the viscosity came down too quick and sudden in Ecoboost and Subaru turbo engines...fuel dilution?

Turbo charge direct injection have some problems like fuel dilution thus putting in a garden variety Mobil 1 worries me.

In UOA after UOA 5W40s seemed to be great for these types of engines.

What evidence is there that a UOA is indicative of oil performance rather than the engine design and operating conditions?

*coughs* that's what I say *coughs*.. it's unique to that engine and driver... and while it (a UOA) shows the lube's "capable" (a broad and nebulous term) it doesn't guarantee you'll see similar results, good bad or otherwise.

Last edited:

So you buy this oil, run it for some amount of time and compare a UOA with other UOAs from oils ran in the same engine for roughly the same amount of time? I'll spoil it for everyone, it will look basically the same in terms of metals etc.. So again, why not run a trusted brand name oil that is the same price? Interesting data for sure if you can draw any conclusions from it. I had requested that the guy you youtube that does all the tests of different oils head-to-head compare this to the other typical VW502 00 5W40s/0W40s including M1, Castrol, and LM. Maybe he'll do it.

So you buy this oil, run it for some amount of time and compare a UOA with other UOAs from oils ran in the same engine for roughly the same amount of time? I'll spoil it for everyone, it will look basically the same in terms of metals etc.. So again, why not run a trusted brand name oil that is the same price? Interesting data for sure if you can draw any conclusions from it. I had requested that the guy you youtube that does all the tests of different oils head-to-head compare this to the other typical VW502 00 5W40s/0W40s including M1, Castrol, and LM. Maybe he'll do it.

While I agree with most of what you say, the part about a "trusted brand name" oil is a bit off however. The Amazon oil in question is ACEA A3/B4 which defines a good standard which those other oils you mention also meet.

While I agree with most of what you say, the part about a "trusted brand name" oil is a bit off however. The Amazon oil in question is ACEA A3/B4 which defines a good standard which those other oils you mention also meet.

Does it also meet the other specs that say LM Leichtlauf HT meets? I agree with you that specs/approvals are specs/approvals and really, any oil meeting them should be v. similar to others meeting them.

Capture.JPG

Does it also meet the other specs that say LM Leichtlauf HT meets? I agree with you that specs/approvals are specs/approvals and really, any oil meeting them should be v. similar to others meeting them.

It lists no other approvals or specifications, so no.

But with the price of Mobil 1 or Castrol 0W-40 at Walmart (especially with a rebate) there is little reason to buy the Amazon oil (same with the Liqu Moly, unless you're just looking for a cool container to impress your friends and neighbors).

I had requested that the guy you youtube that does all the tests of different oils head-to-head compare this to the other typical VW502 00 5W40s/0W40s including M1, Castrol, and LM. Maybe he'll do it.

Any amateur on YouTube will be utterly and completely incapable of testing motor oil for any substantive conclusion whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back