AmazonBasics 5W40 European

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got it in...will let you know how it goes...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So a 5W-40 full synthetic made by Warren Distribution and rated API SN and ACEA A3/B4 from a quick google, is that what the bottle says ?

Sounds fine to me.

What car ?

In the reviews someone claimed that it still has Supertech molded in the bottles. Anyway I think it was discussed earlier. Doesn't have any MB approvals so not as good as other oils out there.

Not sure what you're getting here

Amazon Basics 5w40 $29.99 @ Amazon, no euro manufacturers approvals
M1 0w40 6qt $28 @ Costco, all kind of approvals including MB, Porsche etc

Not sure why you would not use something like ROTELLA GAS TRUCK. Made for suv and truck applications that are severe, there are results coming that people are posting on other sites with stellar results. People are even using it in cars....I can honestly say that it is by far one of the best oils I have used now that I have run it my Jeep for over a month now. And past week has been -15. From the less noise, to smoothness, to not even a sense of any struggle or negative feedback or noise from engine..or parts that are under added stress under a cold start.

Originally Posted by domer10
Not sure why you would not use something like ROTELLA GAS TRUCK. Made for suv and truck applications that are severe, there are results coming that people are posting on other sites with stellar results. People are even using it in cars....I can honestly say that it is by far one of the best oils I have used now that I have run it my Jeep for over a month now. And past week has been -15. From the less noise, to smoothness, to not even a sense of any struggle or negative feedback or noise from engine..or parts that are under added stress under a cold start.

Oh spare me....

This wont be a fast process of evaluating it...probably take a few months.

Originally Posted by BLND1

Originally Posted by domer10

Oh spare me....

I'll second what the guy is saying about the Rotella Gas Truck oil. I like it, seems to be "good". I've only been using it because of the rebates they've been offering for the last six months, but I've got admit that I do like it...does seem a little quieter, use less oil, it stays "clean" a little longer than what I'm used to. I've been usi it in my 2018 Silverado for the last 6 months 15 thousand miles (three oil changes). Seems "good", but I won't buy it when the rebates end...I only shop for discounted/rebate oil. I'll probably go to 0w20 Super Tech or Amazon basics when this rebate run ends...or back to Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 when they start theirs.

Originally Posted by SlavaB

+1

Amazon basics is basic nonsense

AmazonBasics oil is same as SuperTech and Mag1...all produced by Warren Distributing.

This oil looks to be one that I might be looking for...

https://mag1.com/products/passenger...synthetic-european-5w-40-a3b4-motor-oil/

High Temp High Shear 3.7
TBN 9.8
Viscosity at 100 degrees Celcius cst 13.18

So if these numbers are to be believed I think it will be great in turbo charged direct injection engines like Ecoboost. In fact, I think the HDEOs I have used are way too thick and 13.18 seems to be a bit thicker than 5W30, but not as thick as some of the HDEO oils I have encountered. This oil is like a dual-use HDEO in that it can go into both gas/diesel engines, but its not quite as thick. Many of the HDEOs Ive seen are above 14.

I havent seen much about this oil on here. I think there are a few older UOAs out there somewhere. My testing process takes a bit of time as I get to 5000 miles so this will be several weeks or months until I send the oil sample to Blackstone.

Last edited:
Amazon Basics is also ACEA A3/B4, what indicates the Mag 1 oil is better? The Mag 1 product has no other European licenses or approvals.

I'd keep an eye on calcium while "playing" with all these lubes in an expensive high intensity engine …

No clue why anyone would use this over M1/Castrol products.

Originally Posted by TiGeo

No clue why anyone would use this over M1/Castrol products.

For science and the good of the forum!

We all know about Mobil 1 and Castrol. Not too much out there on Warren Brands so why not give it a go? I will eventually get to Castrol and Valvoline 5W40s but its going to be a slow process.

I did test the Amsoil 5W30 SS and Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40. The M1 5W40 did as well as Amsoil...neck and neck but the Mobil 1 was half the pricw at Walmart.

Its going to be:

AmazonBasics Euro 5W40
AmazonBasics HDEO 5W40 or Mag1 version or Supertech
Castrol 5W40
Valvoline 5W40 Euro

Once thats done my experimentation will be complete on the Walmart/Amazon sourced 5W40s.

IMHO 5W40 is great for severe service like towing or taxi style work or for those turbo Subaru guys....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back