AmazonBasics 5W40 Euro, 4774 miles, Ford 3.7 Liter Duratec,

Status
Not open for further replies.
I type this just in case someone finds this thread on Google. The water pump issue is not something to worry about. If you look at the Ford Tech youtube page he was working on a 10 year old Ford Edge with 180000 miles. What we dont know about that Edge is was the coolant ever changed? I bet Ford techs customera dont think too much about preventative maintenance.

My experience in the Livery industry is these pumps go out somewhere north of 150000 miles. Some guys still have their original pumps after 400k miles. All of the Livery guys just do oil changes and thats it. No special maintenance of any kind.

Thus it is a durable pump and if you want to put 300,000 miles pretty much I would expect 1 water pump change. Thats pretty good when considering nothing else...beaides the cat converter wearing out...will go wrong with the 3.7 liter Duratec.

As for the police department there are articles out there how they do maintenance and what they do is a minimal amount. Many departments get rid of their cars around 80000 miles. They try not to spend time and $$$ where they dont need to.

I highly doubt many people here operate fleet vehicles where you put 70000 miles on an engine and this waterpump issue for the 3.7 liter should not be on the mind.

More paranoid types like myself who believe when the warranty runs out is when things go wrong might want to pre emptively change the pump after the 150k extended warranty expires. However that water pump change isnt neccasary but more so to calm the mind of the paranoid fleet operator who doesnt want to get stuck much like the guy who gets 4wd to operate in NYC. Do we need it...probably not...but in the back of your mind you believe there is that small chance you get stuck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Navi
I type this just in case someone finds this thread on Google. The water pump issue is not something to worry about. If you look at the Ford Tech youtube page he was working on a 10 year old Ford Edge with 180000 miles. What we dont know about that Edge is was the coolant ever changed? I bet Ford techs customera dont think too much about preventative maintenance.

My experience in the Livery industry is these pumps go out somewhere north of 150000 miles. Some guys still have their original pumps after 400k miles. All of the Livery guys just do oil changes and thats it. No special maintenance of any kind.

Thus it is a durable pump and if you want to put 300,000 miles pretty much I would expect 1 water pump change. Thats pretty good when considering nothing else...beaides the cat converter wearing out...will go wrong with the 3.7 liter Duratec.

As for the police department there are articles out there how they do maintenance and what they do is a minimal amount. Many departments get rid of their cars around 80000 miles. They try not to spend time and $$$ where they dont need to.

I highly doubt many people here operate fleet vehicles where you put 70000 miles on an engine and this waterpump issue for the 3.7 liter should not be on the mind.

More paranoid types like myself who believe when the warranty runs out is when things go wrong might want to pre emptively change the pump after the 150k extended warranty expires. However that water pump change isnt neccasary but more so to calm the mind of the paranoid fleet operator who doesnt want to get stuck much like the guy who gets 4wd to operate in NYC. Do we need it...probably not...but in the back of your mind you believe there is that small chance you get stuck.

My experience is the same as this. There are a ton of vehicles around here with this engine and the garage I worked at still hasn't seen a single failure. I don't like how hard it is to replace when it obviously will fail eventually (if you kept a car as long as me), but for the average person who keeps the car 10 years, 150k miles, it's probably nothing to worry about. As mentioned, nothing else seems to go wrong on these. Knock on wood my sister's is still going strong with 240k miles original everything. 2010 Taurus that has had a couple wheel bearings, some suspension work and some warranty electrical work when it was new. Nothing else that I can think of.

Unfortunately when the pump fails the car will be a write off. I'd be worried that if you put a couple thousand into a water pump, then the transmission fails shortly after. (although that doesn't seem to be an issue on them either).

Two observations:

First, any motor oil regardless of price, that meets the spec needed by Ford, is a good oil. You may shop on price. Fords do not require unicorn tears in the crankcase.

Second, the Ford water pump fiasco will dog them for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back