Amazon still ships GF-5 oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's Amazon link

https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550045201-Ultra-Platinum-Synthetic/dp/B01M266FWZ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1UZ4P9SP4G87F&dchild=1&keywords=pennzoil+ultra+platinum+5w-30&qid=1593751285&sprefix=pennzoil+ul%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-5

But...they have to get rid of old stock first, before you get to the new stock.

And when all of your cars are like 10 years old this matters, why? They've only been allowed to stamp SP/GF-6 on bottles for 2 months now, Ultra Platinum is generally a low volume item, and with people driving less in general over the last several months it's likely to be moving even slower. Back in April I ordered 2 jugs of PP 0w20 and 1 jug of PUP 0w20 in a bundle from WallyWorld, when it arrived the PP was only a month old but the PUP was made in August 2019, it's a slower moving product it may sit in the warehouse a year before it goes out.

Originally Posted by JustN89
My owners manual doesn't require GF-6, it still reads GF-5. I'll need to return it for the updated version so it'll match the oil I buy.

Yeah do it. If you ordered a 2020 car and received 2019 then by all means...

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
So your going to return oil that has nothing wrong with it!?

confused.gif

I wouldn't consider false advertising to be a good practice. I read GF-6 on the bottle pic on Amazon and received a different product.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
What's the "born on date"? Should be located on the bottom of the jug.

Feb 2020

Originally Posted by NoNameJoe
I don't get it. You complained because you got GF-5 versus GF-6? LOL. Did they advertise it was GF-6 on the listing?

You know how to read?

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I'd just keep the oil. No need to send it back.

I'll do that. Just because I'm due for an OCI

Originally Posted by sparky123
Both Walmart/Amazon are showing "SP" on the back label. So technically you are correct. However, I wonder how much different the two oils are in reality. This is a great oil. The price of $24.97 is a little on the high side though. I'd look into Quaker State Ultimate for only $17.97. (Prices fluctuate) I'm not sure if a brick and mortar store will stock PUP though. If you decide to reorder in the future, who really knows if you will get the newest and greatest?

Being different or not is a totally different matter. They should not advertise what they are not selling and shipping. I paid for a GF-6 oil and received an older spec'ed product.
I would have probably gone with another brand if I would have known I'd receive a mislabeled product. Likely locally.

This is how motor oil has always been when the specs update they usually keep the same UPC and for a while some old stock will be floating in with the new, it's what you get when you order a low volume product from a faceless online retailer. Also PP and PPHM have been GF-6 ready since last year, I don't know when PUP was changed but it's possible that your olser bottle of PUP with the SN+/GF-5 label contains the same formulation oil as a bottle that was bottled after 5/1/2020 with the new SP/GF-6A designation.

Same experience as the OP. Amazon pics showed GF-6A/SP on back of PUP 5W30 jug, but received older GF-5/SN+ version. Date code on bottom of jug was Jan 2020. Was hoping to try the new stuff but decided it's not worth the trouble of returning it. Besides, I have a needed oil change coming up.

First world problems. Like already mentioned, expect intermittent old stock for at least a year. If super important to get latest spec, then hit a brick and mortar.

Being different or not is a totally different matter. They should not advertise what they are not selling and shipping. I paid for a GF-6 oil and received an older spec'ed product.
I would have probably gone with another brand if I would have known I'd receive a mislabeled product. Likely locally.
I think that if it was that important to you and you are this bitterly disappointed over what you received then you should definitely return it to Amazon and buy something locally where you can see the actual product you are getting. You posted about this on July 2, you could have easily returned it by now and bought the oil you desire at Walmart or Autozone.

Unless of course your point is to complain about Amazon, then that is a different issue.

I think that if it was that important to you and you are this bitterly disappointed over what you received then you should definitely return it to Amazon and buy something locally where you can see the actual product you are getting. You posted about this on July 2, you could have easily returned it by now and bought the oil you desire at Walmart or Autozone.

Unless of course your point is to complain about Amazon, then that is a different issue.

We're on a totally different page. Have a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back