Amazon sales tax=Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of 10-1-14 they are collecting tax on their online sales. The TV news folks stated it was 'likely' due to Amazon shortly adding a shipping/warehouse facility in the state. If so, you'd think the taxation would happen when/if that actually happened? Dan Mpls. Mn.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
So glad I live in a no-sales-tax state...

Why? I would rather be taxed on how much I spend and not how much I make (aka State income tax).

Tennessee started this a year ago. Amazon put a warehouse in TN. You can still buy from amazon and not pay sales tax, buy from a third party seller. when amazon sells a product, click "other sellers". those sellers are all over the USA. If they are not in your state, no sales tax. Amazon is the third party collector for payment. I find that a cheaper overall price than "fullfilled by amazon".

Amazon collects state tax here in ND too. I believe they have some sort of customer service center in Grand Forks.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra

Why? I would rather be taxed on how much I spend and not how much I make (aka State income tax).

In that case you, I suppose, would be happy with a surtax on ALL "luxury items". Of course we may differ on what is a "Luxury". Taxachusetts and Rouges Island have removed their sales tax on booze because New Hampshire does not have one. How that helps low income folks is beyond me. Nobody "needs" booze.

Last edited:

He doesn't have an income tax either, must be NH. But they get screwed royally on property taxes.

Michigan (and most states) has a "USE TAX" that, technically, requires everyone to claim their out of state mail purchases on their tax return:

"Use tax on tangible personal property is similar to sales tax, but applies to purchases when Michigan sales tax is not charged. Use tax of 6 percent must be paid on the total price (including shipping and handling charges) of all taxable items brought into Michigan or purchases by mail from out-of-state retailers. It applies to purchases made in foreign countries as well as other states. Businesses registered for sales or withholding tax may remit use tax on their returns. Individuals can pay their use tax liability on their MI-1040 tax return."

Most people are either unaware of this law or are breaking the law by ignoring this rule. There has been talk of cracking down on this, but right now it is not enforced much at all. Next time someone is up on their personal pulpit claiming absolute honesty and integrity, ask them if they claimed their use tax.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Michigan (and most states) has a "USE TAX" that, technically, requires everyone to claim their out of state mail purchases on their tax return:

"Use tax on tangible personal property is similar to sales tax, but applies to purchases when Michigan sales tax is not charged. Use tax of 6 percent must be paid on the total price (including shipping and handling charges) of all taxable items brought into Michigan or purchases by mail from out-of-state retailers. It applies to purchases made in foreign countries as well as other states. Businesses registered for sales or withholding tax may remit use tax on their returns. Individuals can pay their use tax liability on their MI-1040 tax return."

Most people are either unaware of this law or are breaking the law by ignoring this rule. There has been talk of cracking down on this, but right now it is not enforced much at all. Next time someone is up on their personal pulpit claiming absolute honesty and integrity, ask them if they claimed their use tax.
Id love to know the compliance rate on that lol

Don't have that, either.
cool.gif

Don't have that, either.
cool.gif

Eye rolling intensifies
mad.gif

NYC, we get both
Tax away!

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Id love to know the compliance rate on that lol

Its 1.5%...Saw a story on CNN the other day

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

Don't have that, either.
cool.gif

Eye rolling intensifies
mad.gif

NYC, we get both
Tax away!

Illinois has both as well, plus very hefty property tax.

In my state one is not expected to save every receipt for use tax (though they could)-- they could pay a certain small percent that works out to $30 a year.

I have a friend with security clearance and his boss told him to pay the tax to keep him from potentially being busted, and losing said clearance.

They collect it in MA also, i guess they have some sort of office near Boston.
I either use my NH address or buy in NH, i refuse to pay one more dime in tax than i have to to this corrupt back water.

Amazon HAD a package/sorting office in my state, but recently closed it. So what are the odds that they will stop charging tax in my state? I know the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back