Amazon increases the price of Prime nearly 17% to $139 per year

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
AMZN released earnings earlier this evening and the company had an outstanding quarter and great future outlook.

No surprise on the 17 percent prime increase. Some of us (especially me) are Pavlov dogs when it comes to AMZN. We don't shop around, and AMZN pockets get bigger and bigger.

I'll price shop if I don't need something immediately. We order a fair amount from them so I believe we still save money by using Prime. We'll watch shows with it as well

I cancelled prime a few years ago when I realized I only order a few times a year and I might as well just pay for expedited shipping, also I got tired of getting open box stuff when it was supposed to be new and my 2 day shipping taking much longer than 2 days frequently.

I think, we need to prepared for lots of price increases on many things. Just got my renew home owners insurance and got me looking at other quotes o_O . I been w/ the same carrier for many years. I also have a list of where we can trim our budget.

Sucks.....
In my business shipping is fierce.
I like my fire stick so I am stuck.
Love amazon but just bought a case of something I usually buy from them but they raised the price 70%...
Got it at the old price elsewhere.

I think, we need to prepared for lots of price increases on many things. Just got my renew home owners insurance and got me looking at other quotes o_O . I been w/ the same carrier for many years. I also have a list of where we can trim our budget.
I think a lot of companies jacking up prices indiscriminately need to be prepared for bankruptcy-the extra stimulus $ is drying up. Especially when many companies can’t deliver the goods anyway.

Too high, I buy a lot from Amazon but since not in a hurry, that makes it easy to reach $25 cart for free shipping. If they raise the minimum cart value for free shipping back to $35+, that'll cause me to shop more elsewhere.

AMZN released earnings earlier this evening and the company had an outstanding quarter and great future outlook.

No surprise on the 17 percent prime increase. Some of us (especially me) are Pavlov dogs when it comes to AMZN. We don't shop around, and AMZN pockets get bigger and bigger.

Maybe Bezos needs it to pay for his new 400 foot mega yacht…. ?

Last edited:
We cancelled our Prime service a couple of years ago. The price jump from $99 to $119 was what made me pull the trigger. They tout all the other services that come with Prime, but the expedited shipping was the only one we saw value in. Other than the Grand Tour, we could never find anything on their streaming platform that we actually wanted to watch. What we wanted to watch always had an extra charge. Every now and then, they offer me a free month of Prime, which I take them up on, and we order some stuff, but we're spending no where near with Amazon what we once did. I have noticed that 2 day shipping is not really a thing anymore. Usually it's 4-5 days, if I'm lucky.

Eh, this is like complaining about stamps going up 5¢. The price of everything is increasing and Prime is following along. Plus, someone has to pay for that bridge that's too big in Rotterdam to be taken apart so Bezos's new yacht can pass through:

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...eff-bezos-yacht-bridge-rotterdam-destruction/

Is it fair, no, but for someone who orders frequently from Amazon and enjoys Prime video, it's worth it to me. The value in Prime isn't just same/1/2 day shipping, you get unlimited photo storage, free music and kindle perks. The list goes on. What other competing service offers these perks? I hate to defend this massive company but Amazon has their stuff together. Heck, people are even lining up to work at the warehouses despite the "horrid" conditions and "measly" $17hr pay.

Usually you can find enough stuff to pad a free slow shipping from Amazon, Walmart, Target. I never keep a Prime membership but only sign up once a year during Xmas. You really want shipping from Amazon free? Buy more then return what you don't use at your local return site. Oh, Target price match Amazon and Walmart in store. So I hardly buy from Amazon other than some small fry Chinese vendors with no store front presence.

For small little stuff from China I just go to eBay. Marketplace vendor from Amazon jack up their prices to provide free shipping on Amazon, might as well go to eBay instead.

I wouldn't want anyone to blackmail me into my membership just to keep my photos stored on the cloud, it is like keeping an expensive phone plan just to get a discount on new phones. Plus prime video sucks even more than Hulu ($2 a month), downsampling to 320x240 is ridiculous.

Reactions: GON
they just opened a distro center 3.5miles from my house.. i can get 1 day shipping free mostly.. and sometimes free 4 hour shipping.
as long as its in stock at that location.

ordered some stevia extract.. 800pack pure via brand 99% reb a stevia extract for 14$ costco/sams with the cheaper truvia brand that contains erythritol is $13 for 400

I wish it was still 59 or 69.. I considered walmart+ for 49.99 but couldnt pull the trigger.

Dropped prime in July when my student discount ended. I have not really missed it, and found I order less junk since I have to wait till I have a $25 minimum, and many times when I go to my cart, I remove what I put in there because I just don't need it, so has saved me even more money.

Lots of things don't seem to be available local anymore much anyway.
I need to replace the hinges/hardware on my garage door. Ace, Lowes and HomeDepot had none in store, all would take 5-9 days to arrive in store, Amazon would arrive in 5-7 days without prime, and price was cheaper overall as well.

You didn't really think Jeff Bezos loves you, did you?

Have not ordered anything really expensive from Amazon for a long while. What I do order is lots of stuff in the $8-15 range that has free 1 or 2 day shipping. Even same day on $35+ items. There are now 4 Amazon facilities in the Kansas City metro and things click pretty good. Last year I placed 143 orders. Half were
The free Amazon Prime music is something I use daily. The free selection is adequate enough to make playlists, that I play back thru a Echo Dot into my bedroom stereo for thru the night music.

Not much of a fan of Prime Video, not much of a binge watcher. I watch some old TV series.

Actually I feel it is a good value. Will renew in April. Anyway, it government money I'm spending.

Back