Amazon Echo...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems pretty cool. Obviously they overuse it in the commercial. For the things i look up it wouldn't work to well but it may be handy at some times.

If it had input and outputs to be integrated with home automation it would be perfect ...I would be all over
smile.gif

Very similar to siri but a little diffrent you don't have to be close or press button ...

Only if it had the HAL-9000 voice, would i get it ... its just a way better cool for a different reason.

and a glowing red "eye"

edit; and i would want it to give me passive aggressive or shielded attitude like HAL would.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Only if it had the HAL-9000 voice, would i get it ... its just a way better cool for a different reason.

and a glowing red "eye"

edit; and i would want it to give me passive aggressive or shielded attitude like HAL would.

Probably just a matter of time before someone hacks it and does just that.

and a glowing red "eye"

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that!

Originally Posted By: spasm3

and a glowing red "eye"

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that!

Exactly!

I remember a sci-fi show from the early 80s where everyone had pretty much exactly this sort of device in their house. It seemed impossible then.

So, the mic on this thing must be constantly on and "recording." Big brother, anyone?
laugh.gif
Will the next version have a live webcam as well?

Back in the day, you would not want your house to be bugged. Now you're actually willing to pay for it?
smile.gif
I'm usually not paranoid, but this is a little creepy.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Back in the day, you would not want your house to be bugged. Now you're actually willing to pay for it?
smile.gif
I'm usually not paranoid, but this is a little creepy.

My thoughts exactly. I don't have anything for or against Amazon's device, but the observation is spot-on. Folks have been paying for that for years in their cars (OnStar).

It's just ironic that decades ago people would fight hard for privacy. Nowadays, we are voluntarily giving it away in exchange for convenience. Google is reading our emails. Amazon is eavesdropping on our conversations, etc. Probably not an issue until someone unauthorized (hacker) gets a hold of it and puts it to sinister use. Unlikely, I know, but it still makes you wonder at times how things have changed.

With that said, wife saw the video and she wants one now.
smile.gif

I hope it was developed in Banglore otherwise it will not understand me :) My Acura is completely useless when I issue voice commands to it.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I hope it was developed in Banglore otherwise it will not understand me :) My Acura is completely useless when I issue voice commands to it.

LOL!

Wife is having similar issues with the nav in her car. There is an option to voice train it though which she has not had a chance to do yet. We'll see how much it helps.

Interesting technology, but it doesn't do anything for me that I can't do myself. And at $200, I think I'll save my money.

If you're working in a kitchen and don't know how many teaspoons are in a tablespoon, then you have no business being in a kitchen. A kid that old who can't spell the word "cantaloupe" without help, rather than using an electronic crutch, needs some second grade remedial spelling classes. And if a parent can't spell the word "cantaloupe", they should sit alongside their kid in those second grade remedial spelling classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back