Amazingly nasty oil change

Check out this lumpy, sludgy, glitterly oil change. Wonderful entertainment. Spoiler alert: He ends up rebuilding the motor, partially because a plug broke in the cylinder head.

Note that it has a rock catcher "filter" and spin-on one. The rock catcher of course is a VW air-cooled thing. I'm thinking that here it's more or less a blocking plate and not meant for routine removal.

I get Leary from these "ohh look at this oil change how nasty blah blah” or " look at the crud coming out" many are just staged to get views. In this particular video seems like they brought that engine straight from the junkyard.

I get Leary from these "ohh look at this oil change how nasty blah blah” or " look at the crud coming out" many are just staged to get views. In this particular video seems like they brought that engine straight from the junkyard.

How long would it take for oil to turn like that if sitting in a junk yard if the oil wasn't like that when it was parked? Or would it even turn like that from just sitting?

Nasty ... crazy how someone could neglect something as simple as an oil change. :sick:🤮
Yep sounds like my Stepkids. Just got ahold of the Stepdaughter Mazda. Got the filter off the car and someone dated it with a sharpee 8/9/17. Her car only sees severe service. Her reply well I only drive it around town. I've explained that to her you can't cure stupid! A 1994 Mazda Protégé a tough little car it would seem. Does not appear to be using oil at over 200K miles.

How long would it take for oil to turn like that if sitting in a junk yard if the oil wasn't like that when it was parked? Or would it even turn like that from just sitting?
That's not the point here. It's in the junkyard because it was a super neglected engine and/or a stupid owner. When that's the case then the wow factor vanishes and it's a no brainer to see this result.
It's not a regular case to see in a resonably maintained car/engine.

That's not the point here. It's in the junkyard because it was a super neglected engine and/or a stupid owner. When that's the case then the wow factor vanishes and it's a no brainer to see this result.
It's not a regular case to see in a resonably maintained car/engine.

Yep, it was probably in the junkyard from neglect ... so goes back to being lazy and not doing simple maintenance like an oil change.

Last edited:
I have an air cooled VW never had that problem lol. Mine doesn’t have a spin on filter though but I also do regular maintenance on it so don’t have to worry about it too much.

Back