Amazing Wild Life This Summer

Amazing Wild Life This Summer. Best i have seen in years. Took photos. Checkout Mom bear and baby to her left. She did have 2 but sadly one did not make it. TICKS ARE CRAZY THIS YEAR
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very Cool. Makes me want to go out and pet a deer, and then get bitten by one of their ticks, and then come down with RMSF or Lyme Disease, and then..... On second thought.

Last edited:
I never see bears but they feast on my garbage cans on a weekly basis. Or at least make a mess.

What would kill a baby bear?

My dog went after porcupine. Had to bring dog to the vet on July 4th,

Originally Posted by Donald
I never see bears but they feast on my garbage cans on a weekly basis. Or at least make a mess.

What would kill a baby bear?

My dog went after porcupine. Had to bring dog to the vet on July 4th,

The baby was hit by a car. The road down from the picture. Very very little traffic on the road but all it takes is one. Just wandered away from mom.

People aren't attentive; They just run over anything. Ill go off the road and destroy my car to miss a animal like that. Got to respect LIFE over Tin Junk.

We have a turkey surplus. They are everywhere. They Just wander about like chickens near the coop.

I'm assuming you are in the area of East Burke....I ride Kingdom Trails often. Beautiful area just not in mud season
sick.gif

Saw a small bear crossing the road at night a few weeks ago....no sign of mom.
Heard fishers screaming right after that...don't see them much anymore as some useless neighbor has them trapped because they were eating his outdoor cats. The fishers are natural and super cool, his cats are artificial and use our playground area as a litter box...give me the fishers any day. This guy is a menace in general and I have 100 stories about him...
My wife saw a mink by our brook for the first time in several years.
We just found a big nest of snapping turtle eggs that had been dug up, couldn't tell for sure if some animal dug them up and ate the little ones or they hatched and then something dug in there later. Each egg had a nearly identical single slit in it so I suspect/hope they actually hatched.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Ill go off the road and destroy my car to miss a animal like that. Got to respect LIFE over Tin Junk.

A lady in church had the same foolish opinion a few years ago. Put her car into a ditch to miss a deer. One of her two children died at the scene, and she died a couple days later. Personally, I value human life over animal life-every single time.

But at least the deer was unscathed despite several human lives having been destroyed.

We are having a real issue with feral hogs in SE TX. So much so that the TX Governer just made a law they can be openly hunted 24/7/365.

It has been a big year for wildlife. We have had 3 deer at the same time on our backyard hill, had a doe and a very young fawn walk right past our house, had a deer drink out of the birdbath, had 2 river otters run across the back lawn, many birds (hummingbirds especially, and an owl that sat on a tree and ignored all efforts to make it leave), several raccoon in the neighbourhood, not to mention squirrels, etc.

And last week (on a trip to Saskatchewan) had a young black bear walk across the road in front of us.

Beautiful up in the northern part of Vermont.

I use to deliver batteries that came out of NC to some warehouse just north of St. Albans I did not have a reefer, so getting a load out back home way was pretty slim. If I had a reefer, a load back home would have been easy with Ben and Jerry's not that far away.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
We are having a real issue with feral hogs in SE TX. So much so that the TX Governer just made a law they can be openly hunted 24/7/365.

Spanish hogs are a big problem in S. Georgia as well. The gift from Columbus which keeps on giving. hehe.

GA allows a variety of methods to hunt them including but not limited to night hunts. The pigs are are smart SOB's from the stories I've heard.

"Night shooting employs the use of bait and specialized equipment such as spot lights, motion detecting floodlights, night vision goggles and scopes, and suppressed weapons. Conventional hunting equipment can also be used. In Georgia, night shooting is legal on private property."

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Fawteen
Ill go off the road and destroy my car to miss a animal like that. Got to respect LIFE over Tin Junk.

A lady in church had the same foolish opinion a few years ago. Put her car into a ditch to miss a deer. One of her two children died at the scene, and she died a couple days later. Personally, I value human life over animal life-every single time.

But at least the deer was unscathed despite several human lives having been destroyed.

As sad story for sure.

But humans? You are an animal. You Just THINK you are "better" then the ones that walk on 4 legs as we destroy this beautiful planet.

I will auto reflex -steer around something in the road. I can't control this reflex. I have it trained at the brain stem. Saved a few kids in the city running out from behind cars, Saved a few furry 4 legged friend too.

Foolish? If so, I will continue to be foolish.

People aren't attentive; They just run over anything. Ill go off the road and destroy my car to miss a animal like that. Got to respect LIFE over Tin Junk.

We have a turkey surplus. They are everywhere. They Just wander about like chickens near the coop.

Foolish.

A girl I went to college with swerved to avoid a squirrel and injured herself and killed another person who she hit head on. Not worth it. The thing probably got run over anyway.

Wildlife is amazing to watch at a distance, their boundaries need to be respected. I see Pronghorn Antelope, deer of many varieties, bears, coyotes, foxes, weasels and many other types on a near daily basis. I keep my distance and they do mine.

If one were to respect human life equal to animal life you would do whatever it took to not impact them such as being pure vegan, living off grid, in the mountains, no tech of any kind. Even then, you can't exist on earth without impacting animal life to some degree as you would have to exist among them. That is were the balance lies I suppose, the balance in interaction. When the boundaries interact is where you have to walk the walk. In the end a human life always has the potential to change the course of history and impact humankind, whereas animal life will never have that potential. It's simple really.
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by Fawteen

As sad story for sure.

But humans? You are an animal. You Just THINK you are "better" then the ones that walk on 4 legs as we destroy this beautiful planet.

I will auto reflex -steer around something in the road. I can't control this reflex. I have it trained at the brain stem. Saved a few kids in the city running out from behind cars, Saved a few furry 4 legged friend too.

Foolish? If so, I will continue to be foolish.

I sure hope you dont "auto reflex-steer" on a sidewalk loaded with kids to avoid a squirrel........

Originally Posted by BISCUT
I'm assuming you are in the area of East Burke....I ride Kingdom Trails often. Beautiful area just not in mud season
sick.gif

You are correct. Westmore lake Willoughby.

The only wildlife that we don't see as much is the moose. 30 years ago there was no moose hunting and cars were hitting them. So the State started a lottery to hunt moose about 10 years ago. Now we see very little of them. Now the moose population is being affected by a brain worm. Last fall we did have one walking down through town. Westmore only has a year around population of 170 people in 37 square miles. That can triple in summer.

Originally Posted by littleant
The only wildlife that we don't see as much is the moose. 30 years ago there was no moose hunting and cars were hitting them. So the State started a lottery to hunt moose about 10 years ago. Now we see very little of them. Now the moose population is being affected by a brain worm. Last fall we did have one walking down through town. Westmore only has a year around population of 170 people in 37 square miles. That can triple in summer.

My wife was mad because I saw a few moose not long after we moved to New England and it took her about 10 years to see one.
She was driving up our driveway and it was in our sorta yard out by the street...it took off running and she followed it as long as she could until it finally headed into the woods.
I told her she was lucky it didn't ram her car if she was chasing it!!
The moose are being affected horribly by ticks due to our climate shift towards warmer....I think they count tens of thousands per animal sometimes.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by littleant

My wife was mad because I saw a few moose not long after we moved to New England and it took her about 10 years to see one.
She was driving up our driveway and it was in our sorta yard out by the street...it took off running and she followed it as long as she could until it finally headed into the woods.
I told her she was lucky it didn't ram her car if she was chasing it!!
The moose are being affected horribly by ticks due to our climate shift towards warmer....I think they count tens of thousands per animal sometimes.

You are correct about the ticks. When I moved here 30 years ago there were no ticks zero. Last 5 years we are seeing more. This year is the worst so far. What is interesting is we had more snow and -40 below temps last winter and more ticks this summer.

Back